Motivation

Options
I've barely gotten back into the exercise and eat right regime and am still working on getting it right at the moment. I've recovered from an abdominoplasty and abdominal surgery that I had in June and am finally ready to start working out again since being restricted for several months. I've gained a lot of weight during my recovery time and need to shed pounds quickly.

Only problem is, like everyone, I've got my own issues/reasons/excuses as to why I "can't" do something. I find it rather difficult to do any sort of workout due to my circumstances, but maybe I just lack the motivation. I'm sure you guys probably know how difficult it is to try to eat right, especially when you're not in your own home.

I need help on motivation and a plan to eat the right stuff. I've went so far as to download an application on my smartphone called "My Diet Coach Tips". But I don't even seem motivated to pick up the app and look at it. In addition, I just ate a whole bowl of cereal not 1 hour ago, but my stomach is growling at me as if I haven't fed it in a day or so. What do I do?

Replies

• DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    *Bump* ~ ugh I have the same issue lack of motivation and nooooo energy! I'm soooo exhausted all the time :-(
  • tkdcmpedude
    tkdcmpedude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I had actually done something like this a few years ago and was very successful at this approach. Though the hardest part was I was in school and my time devoted to my school work was insane, most days spanning over 12 hrs on campus, so it was hard when you have friends eating like crap and your schedule is crap shoot. Now I am back on this band wagon to get better and hope to achieve my goal once more and sustain. We can do it guys and gals. =)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Why not phase in the changes instead of trying to do everything at one time?
    What I did:

1. Added more fruits and veggies - didn't consciously change any other part of my routine
    2. Changed proteins from higher calorie, fattier cuts to more fish and lean poultry
    3. Reduced calorie intake
    4. Added in exercise

I did this over the course of a few months. You could find something similar that will help you make the changes you need to make.
  • manderlou82
    Options
    One of the best things that you can do is eat something healthy for breakfast. Cereal isn't always bad for you but if you are like me, it doesn't do anything for you! I have found that either a smoothie or oatmeal is the best thing for me to eat to give me a boost. Most days, I don't have the motivation I need but do your best anyway. If you are exhausted all the time and don't feel good you may want to have your thyroid checked, that could be the cause of it. Make sure you drink plenty of water as that is a cause for fatigue and also, eat plenty of fiber, as in fruit, veggies and nuts. They are also energy boosters! Hope this helps!
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From things I've read 80 % of losing the weight is food, 20 % is exercise. Keeping on top of what you are eating with the food diary is important. Eat a healthy choice of foods, eat enough that you aren't hungry, but follow how you feel. Drink water but that doesn't have to be excessive. Stay away from soda, diet or otherwise. I like hot chocolate (no sugar type) for the times that I need something sweet. I use at least a cup or more of skim milk everyday added to coffee or hot chocolate. Watch the size of portions. Another "treat" is about 1 cup of frozen strawberries in a cup of skim milk with enough "sweet & low" for taste in the blender and you have a milk shake (and a fruit and the protein and calcium of milk). I have lost about 15 pounds since March and have never "dieted", but instead have been faithful to the food diary recording the foods eaten at each meal. Also important is doing some exercise but that can be pretty much what you have to do in a day, this time of year I"m outside in the yard working on flowers, etc. (One hour of general gardening = 288 calories) so that adds to the 1200 daily allowance I get without the exercise. I made meatloaf last night for supper, with oatmeal instead of bread crumbs and V-8 vegetable juice with the hamburger and one egg. It will be much more difficult for you if you are not in your own kitchen, however, you can make the food diary work for you. Good luck with your program, I do hope something I have written is a help. fg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Only you can really motivate yourself. You have to want to be healthier and fitter.
  • horizonflight
    Options
    I just went to buy a pedometer to help me show how many calories I'm burning during the day. Hopefully that will be motivation enough to get me moving.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just went to buy a pedometer to help me show how many calories I'm burning during the day. Hopefully that will be motivation enough to get me moving.

Just keep in mind a pedometer is good for counting steps, but it is not the best way to track calories burned if you are doing anything other than walking. A pedometer does not take an elevated heart rate into account, so you are likely to get an incorrect estimate. That is a great start though and is a good way to take things one step at a time. I would try and set goals for yourself and increase it once a week until you're up to 10,000 steps a day. I believe that is the minimum recommendation.

I completely understand what you're saying about motivation. It's a little lengthy, but take a minute to read my blog I wrote a few days ago. It's more a venting blog, but maybe you and I can relate on a few levels. You're not alone and MFP is here for your support! Feel free to add me! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KateHubb
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself "I'm going to do (insert workout here) for 5 minutes today."
    Set your timer for 5 minutes and when you're done you stop.
    Then tell yourself "I did 5 minutes yesterday and feel great. Maybe I can step it up to 7 minutes. Maybe even 10 minutes!"
    Next thing you know, 20 minutes will feel like a breeze and so on.

My approach has been to use the FlyLady approach: Babysteps.

If I had tried to start with a 30 minute workout the first day, I guarantee I would have quit because I was too sore, too tired, blah, blah, blah. This way, I'm at least STARTING to do SOMEthing, rather than nothing. I can work on progress, instead of perfection, because perfection leads to guilt, obsessive behavior, and that's when my weight goes to hell.

I also just picked the exercise I loved. I love walking, so I walk. I haven't done any strength training or crazy DVD workouts yet, because I need to consistently work on the walking thing first. My ADD doesn't allow for me to try too many new things at once or I end up quitting because I get overwhelmed with too many new things. It works perfect for me and I hope to eventually try the DVD's now that the winter months are approaching.
  • horizonflight
    Options
    Just keep in mind a pedometer is good for counting steps, but it is not the best way to track calories burned if you are doing anything other than walking. A pedometer does not take an elevated heart rate into account, so you are likely to get an incorrect estimate. That is a great start though and is a good way to take things one step at a time. I would try and set goals for yourself and increase it once a week until you're up to 10,000 steps a day. I believe that is the minimum recommendation.

I will be investing in a watch that will read my pulse also. I've got permanent knee problems on top of the surgery I went through, I have to take it slow on cardio anyways. I have to search for what are some best recommended but cheap pulse watches and where I can get those from. Some I've seen at Walmart. I'm sure I will find something somewhere. For now, I'm happy with the pedometer though.