Mandolines/Slicers

Options
Any recommendations for mandolines/slicers? I'd like something that slices thinly. It would also be cool to have a spiral-slice function to make noodles... I was looking at this one on Amazon, but not sure how good it is: http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-48297-99-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1317219471&sr=1-2.

I don't have a ton of space and don't want to spend a ton of cash, but I would like to get more creative with my lovely veggies :D

Replies

• papa5280
    Options
    I don't have any specific recommendations on models, but do have two thoughts...

1) Make sure you get one with a good hand-guard, or better yet, buy a Kevlar glove. The number of injuries from mandolins, even among professionals, is really high.

2) Make sure that whatever model you get is easy to clean. That's usually the hardest part of using one.
  • Roseanne64
    Options
    From a QVC junkie...check on QVC. You can probably read the ratings and reviews and get a good idea. I saw one demo'd recently and it looked good to me.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'll second the kevlar glove. I lost my finger tip to a mandolin a couple weeks ago. Not fun.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have one by pampered chef and I love it. It has four different blades/graters and an adjustment for slicing thiner and thicker. Its compact and is fully dishwasher safe. I don't think it could do the noodles you were talking about, but I don't know because I am not exactly sure what you are describing.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    That looks like the one I have and its the same brand. It is a good one.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'll second the kevlar glove. I lost my finger tip to a mandolin a couple weeks ago. Not fun.

OMG I want a mandoline but now I'm afraid!!! I cut myself all of the time. (That said, I cook a lot and use tons of veggies, so I feel I have a higher probability of cutting myself.) I'm sure I would have a mishap with a mandoline.

Original poster, I want a spiral slicer too!!!!! I've been looking at them on amazon, and after reading a lot of reviews, I want the one that fits larger veggies. Like carrots and zucchini. I want to make pasta-like slices. A lot of raw foodists use these. I think I'd blanch my veggies, but the reviews are helpful.

Also try looking on craigslist. Mandolines are things people get for weddings and then resell. I've seen a few on my local craigslist that are the brands I'm interested in. (I just can't remember the name brands sorry.)
  • papa5280
    Options
    OMG I want a mandoline but now I'm afraid!!! I cut myself all of the time. (That said, I cook a lot and use tons of veggies, so I feel I have a higher probability of cutting myself.) I'm sure I would have a mishap with a mandoline.

The Kevlar gloves are generally really cut resistant...nearly cut-proof. And not very expensive, considering the safety they provide.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Owwww... I did that on a meat slicer when I worked at a pizza place years ago. It is for sure not fun.

I will definitely need a glove, I 'spose...I'm sooooo accident-prone
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That looks like the one I have and its the same brand. It is a good one.

Good to know! :) Is it easy to clean?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I also lost a slice of finger to a mandoline. Be very careful with them! (Now I use my oven mitts when slicing something. True story)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Kitchen Stuff Plus has them on sale for $10-$20 all the time, just sign up to their emails to get the lowest possible price which is unadvertised in store. I just bought a $25 digital food scale for $9.99 the other day with a coupon. They also have a mandolin peeler for about $4 if you really want to keep costs low. Benix has one as well.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I was slicing beets one day and yup, caught my thumb, I had no idea it was hanging over the edge of the guard. Gloves are prolly a good idea, but at least make certain everything is tucked up behind the guard.