Hello From NJ...

Options
Hey everyone... Mike from NJ.. my goal is 50lbs.

here's a quick story of why...

Recently became a dad and my daughter is the most precious thing on this planet. But I have noticed that I just have barely enough energy to play with her or anything.. it sucks. Then I found out that I might have sleep apnea and my weight is probably not helping it. So after several diets all my life and everything… one weekend I decided… f it… its time for not a diet but a lifestyle change. I need to get my lifestyle and get back to a reasonable weight.

So far its been 9 days but this is probably the longest I have ever been dedicated to a change. And today was even the hardest. My group brought in Crumbs cupcakes in and they looked awesome. But I didn’t have one. No way… its time to put up or shut up and im not giving up. Hopefully I can be friends with some of you to help me out with this…

Here are two things:

Is it bad to go alittle over the calorie limit?

I need to incorporate exercise but its hard with a 1 year old, any tips?

Replies

• ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I have sleep apnea too...i am guessing the same thing - that my weight is not helping. And the lack of sleep does not help weight, so it's a cycle we have to work to break. But we can do it! :-)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Fitting in exercise with a one-year-old might be hard, but by two just playing with your kid oughta be great exercise!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    yeah and i did the sleep study to see if i had sleep apnea.. it was the worst.. it was like i was apart of a horror movie
  • msDpenguin87
    Options
    Hi
    :)
    I just joined too.
    Ive had a friend move in who has a 2 y.o
    its helping me because i am always chasing him around and picking him up (weights! lol)
    I think maybe you could pick up your bub and do lunges? (I have no idea if this would actually work, Im just trying to explain whats in my head)
    pick up each item and put away individually (toys, blankets ect)

I also did the sleep apnea test, it was like I was an alien specimen lol
    good luck!

-D
  • raven56706
    Options
    just sent a friend request...
  • mrblaze211
    Options
    Welcome abroad friend request me if u would like
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's not terrible to exceed your calorie limit occasionally, but the stricter you are, the more successful you'll be. MFP really, really, really works. I've been here since the beginning of June, and have lost 44 pounds, more than half my goal. Learn how to eat healthy and meausure your food, and you'll do great.

As far as exercise goes, start out by taking 20 or 30 minute walks a few times a week. The calorie balance on MFP is such that even moderate exercise like that can make a big difference, especially if you are otherwise rather sedentary (like me -- sitting at a desk 10 hours a day).

Good luck! (from a fellow Jersey boy)
  • kh79
    kh79 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi and gratz on ur 9 days comitment!! :wink:

To go a little bit over your calorie goal just means it will take longer for u to lose, so no big issue realy- at least not occasionally :smile:
    I have a 4 month old little girl, and I know it's a bit different with a 1 year old, but how about talking a walk with a stroller?
    I walk with my baby in a stroller for 30-60 minutes at least 5 times a week (mostly it's every day) and pushing the stroller gives a little extra burn:smile:
    And remember: ANYTHING is better than nothing!! :happy:

Feel free to add me! :happy:
  • raven56706
    Options
    Actually im waiting for my HRM to come in and i will set aside 1 hour to do INSANITY DVDs... cant wait