Alcohol and weight loss?

Options
Hi Everyone! What are your thoughts on drinking alcohol (moderately of course) during your weight loss journey? I have read that the sugards in the alcohol can inhibit or slow your metabolism. I say moderately = a glass or two of wine or a low-cal liquor drink a week.

Replies

• ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That is the one I thing I cant give up!!! Although, many will tell you that you shouldnt drink and express their opinion, I believe it doesnt do too much harm if you take control and drink "moderately" like you said. As long as you are determined to burn the calories after...I would say go ahead and have one!!!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Here's a bit of information on alcohol (please ignore the low-carb part if you choose. In Primal Blueprint it's about carbs, not calories)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have a glass or two of wine, several nights a week, hasn't stopped me from losing weight yet. Just gotta be careful you don't lower your inhibitions drinking and then eat like crap.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Lemme see...Give up alcohol or you will not lose weight...Personally, I like being fat.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I drink in moderation and I'm losing. Slowly, but surely the weight is coming off, but you know what? I have wine with dinner some times, and beer when I'm hanging in the backyard. I don't want to give things up that I enjoy, so I found a way to make them fit in to my healthy lifestyle.

Do I drink as much as I used to? Heck no. But I haven't eliminated it from my diet, either. That being said, I am taking an alcohol sabbatical starting Oct 3 just to 'clear the system' so to speak. About six weeks alcohol-free... we'll see how long I make it. :D
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have a beer or glass of wine several nights a week. I only have a glass or wine or a beer. Alcohol, like most things should be consumed in moderation. I refuse to give up my wine or beer. I make sure I figure in those calories for the day.
  • sb_summer
    Options
    I completely agree! Even when I'm at 1400 cals a day, I try to budget for either a MGD 64 or 4oz of wine every day. But never more than 1 - after number 2, I start mindlessy eating...
    I have a glass or two of wine, several nights a week, hasn't stopped me from losing weight yet. Just gotta be careful you don't lower your inhibitions drinking and then eat like crap.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of red wine every night. It's my stress reliever. I tried giving it up, but instead I would get all pissy and end up gaining weight....from stress eating.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I drink wine or vodka soda but make sure to log the calories. I stay within my range and it hasn't stopped my weight loss. Only thing is, I don't drink too much or I start to crave more food...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of vodka and sugar free tonics in the evening. I log them and make sure that I don't go over my calories.
  • notebooksecrets
    notebooksecrets Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been on a few nights out since starting my weight-loss, drunk half a bottle of vodka each time, and I'm still doing just fine. Just don't do it every night ;-)
  • staceyGO
    Options
    I completely agree! Even when I'm at 1400 cals a day, I try to budget for either a MGD 64 or 4oz of wine every day. But never more than 1 - after number 2, I start mindlessy eating...

Amen ladies!!