Nightmares

Options
Can not sleep keep waking up every hour on the hour from night mares some recurring some new. Any tips or tricks to help have a better nights sleep

Replies

• AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'll take Benedryl, but it's rare. Wouldn't make a habit of it, though.

If it's chronic you might have to work on psyche, maybe listening to positive affirmations on youtube or reading calm, comforting books?
  • NotGvnUp_EJ
    NotGvnUp_EJ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bible reading, even if just 10 verses or so I find to be helpful right before bed. Also watch what you eat right before bed. Eating too heavy or eating certain foods can cause strange dreams.
  • nolongergordo
    nolongergordo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    EVERY hour?

I mean you might want to arrange an appointment with a doctor who deals with psychology.

They'll be able to ask questions and get more information from you that will inform them far more than anyone in a comments section would be able to.
  • mkcruan
    mkcruan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to the doctor for a sleep study. If you are not big on taking medicines they may offer you, I would suggest drinking Slippery Elm Bark in some tea couple hours before bed. It doesn't have flaor and helps with sleep. I add it to vanilla chai tea. I can't sleep if I'm hungry and the fiber content satisfies hunger and makes you full.

Also, I listen to guided meditations with over-ear headphones (it does bother me when sleeping) in bed and those knock me out! I'll sleep for hours. Hope that helps 💗
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Along with talking to your doctor to see if anything is happening physically like hormone disturbances, I would recommend sleep meditations or relaxing ASMR sessions that are free on YouTube. The most relaxing meditators I know of are Michael Sealey, The Honest Guys, Jason Stephenson, and Joe Treacy. For ASMR rather than talkdowns, ASMR Zeitgeist and Coromo Sara are really good at their craft.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,923 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    Do you take melatonin? Or other supplements to sleep?
    Melatonin and its precursors may cause "melatonin storm" if too much is taken or if taken with certain other drugs or supplements.
    Too much may be as little as 3 mg for some people, or less in combinations.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Do you take melatonin? Or other supplements to sleep?
    Melatonin and its precursors may cause "melatonin storm" if too much is taken or if taken with certain other drugs or supplements.
    Too much may be as little as 3 mg for some people, or less in combinations.

Melatonin knocks me on my butt for exactly four hours. Then it’s like someone set a 3 am wake up call. Every. Single. Time. But those first four hours are delicious. And tantalizing. Sigh.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    When you remember dreams and nightmares that is usually when your sleep is not deep. No alcohol, no caffeine after 12 noon and even earlier the more you drink.
  • Pleurodelinae27
    Pleurodelinae27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fear is a darkroom where negatives develop.

© Usman Asif
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you had recentish trauma or stressful events in your life? I know that when I begin a new job, I have terrible nightmares for months.

Your brain might be interpreting scary life events as you sleep.
    The one really horrible time I had a trauma experience I had nightmares about it for years.
    If you do, or even if you don’t have any explanation, try seeing a therapist to get to the bottom of whatever fears or emotions your brain is trying to process.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited April 18
    Options
    I know how this feels. Its complex and there may be a million reasons for your nightmares. Pls seek out help and self care and calming things you can do to reduce stress and fear
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    OP hasn’t logged in since February. FYI

One of the ways users can find out if they are responding directly to an active member is to click on original posters screen name and it will give last used date.

82r2rss0vb5s.jpeg