What are the age categories for Masters/Grand Masters/ect…?

Options
What are the age categories, and rules associated with senior runners in 5k? I was in the 65-69 category and the oldest runner in the race, but awards were given to Masters, and Grand Masters to folks younger than me. Both finished with better times, but much younger. Just wondering how that is determined.

Thanks for any responses

Answers

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    The races that I've done that had a Masters category instead of age groups started Masters at age 45. They didn't have a Grand Masters category. I came in 2nd Female Masters in two races when I was around 60, but they were every small races, (which is why they didn't do age group prizes).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    USATF (USA Track and Field, an official governing body) says:
    Athletes compete separately in five year age groups starting at age thirty-five, and sub-Masters begin at age twenty-five. USATF Masters Track & Field meets include all track and field events: sprints, distance running, hurdles, throws, jumps, race walking, combined events, and relays.
    [/quote}

Source: https://www.usatf.org/programs/masters/getting-started

If it's like my sport, rowing, not all events are sanctioned by the governing body, so can set their own categories and rules. Sanctioned rowing events use 5-year categories, and typically either have separate events for each age group (if there are enough entrants), or have time handicaps for different ages in the general masters category (if multiple ages are in one competitive category).
  • rskelton01
    rskelton01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand the age group categories, but referencing the senior age groups like masters. I am sure there is a good explanation, just do not understand the rules associated, or standard.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    rskelton01 wrote: »
    I understand the age group categories, but referencing the senior age groups like masters. I am sure there is a good explanation, just do not understand the rules associated, or standard.

When I was thinking of starting to join the local crew, I would have been in the Masters category no matter what. I think it was any age past collegiate.

If you follow the link that @AnnPT77 provided, you'll notice that Masters categories start at fairly young ages - 25, 35, or 40 years old for different sports. I used to assume Masters were older categories, but I was mistaken. It's a designation for people who are generally older than collegiate athletes who perform in sports like track, rowing or Ultimate. For Ultimate (my team sport) Masters are age 33+ for men or 30+ for women.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    When you get away from races sanctioned by USATF and running local races, they can make the age groups whatever they want. Generally based on number of participants.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    rskelton01 wrote: »

If there's a sanctioning body for the race (like USATF), their definitions apply. I quoted the USATF info I could find, in my PP above. Maybe there's more detail on their website somewhere that I didn't find, I don't know.

You didn't even say what country you're in, and that could matter because sanctioning bodies tend to be within a country, like USATF for USA.

If there's not a sanctioning body for a race, the race organizers are generally free to set whatever rules they like, at least here in the US.

If you're looking for one set of universal definitions for "masters" (and subgroups thereof) that applies everywhere, unfortunately that's not generally how these things work in masters sports.