Losing too fast???

Options
So I started my diet/exercise routine on 09/19/2011 @ 238lbs and now im 230.8 on 09/28/2011. So i have lost almost 8 pounds in 9 days. I eat 1500 - 2000 calories a day and work out 5 days a week 30-45 minutes of weight lifting in additional to 30-45 minutes of cardio.

I geuss my question is what are the possible adverse effects of losing weight this quickly. I know in the begining the weight comes off more quickly- how long does this phase last?

My main worry is (as gross as it is) the extra skin after the weight is gone. I mean the reason im losing the weight is to look good next summer (shallow as that may be) -and if i lose the weight too quickly and have the extra skin i will still not want to take my shirt off at the pool.

Replies

• ciji102095
    Options
    You usually lose more weight the first couple of weeks. It will slow down, and when it does you can't give up. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The biggest threat of losing too fast is the loss of lean muscle. You will lose some muscle while losing weight but the slower you lose the smaller the % of that will be from muscle.

where you have about 40 lbs to lose I would suggest a goal of 1 lb/week, this may give you more calories than you currently have, and don't forget to eat the cals you burn back.

if you have 75+ lbs to lose a goal of 2lb/week is ideal
    if you have 40-75 lbs to lose a goal of 1.5lb/week is ideal
    if you have 25-40 lbs to lose a goal of 1lb/week is ideal
    if you have 15-25 lbs to lose a goal of 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal, and
    if you have less than 15 lbs to lose a goal of 0.5 lb/week is ideal

This helps retain muscle as you have less to lose, and helps set you up for maintenance caloric intake.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Your going to lose weight fast the first week or two, I"m sure it will slow down once you get going.. I would not worry at this point.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    hey- i'm virtually the same story- i started 2 and a half weeks ago at 254.5 and now i'm 245.8, 9 pounds and 4 inches in just over 2 weeks. i'm also doing 30-40 min of cardio 3-5 times a week with weight training worked in on top of that.. my calories are the same as yours. i think as long as we're doing it healthy, everything should balance out, this is the beginning, and you're right, we're gonna lose weight faster at first. i have to admit, i am loving my progress so far, and congrats to you as well!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm not a professional, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If you're doing 30-45 min of lifting with a like amount of cardio 5/week, and you're eating 1500-2000 at 23, you're not eating enough. I wouldn't be too worried just yet. It can be normal to lose a lot right away when you're starting out depending on how much you weigh.

My guess is that you're burning more than you think you are. I'm also guessing you're not giving your body enough recovery time given how often you're lifting.
  • daves160
    Options
    I lost 7- 10 lbs a week for the first 3 weeks. Then it slowed to 2-3 lbs. Don't worry about the skin. you aren't that big.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/daves160
  • skinnybliss
    skinnybliss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're young - your skin will tighten. Don't worry about that. my husband is losing weight just as fast, 20 pounds in about a month or so.
    He is a big guy with lots of muscle.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You are very young so I will guess that your skin is still pretty elastic. Drink lots of water and keep going, worry about the skin later.
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    If you have a good protein shake to lay down lean muscle, you can lose quicker. If it is loaded with amino acids then the skin will shrink down as you go. My friend went for 263 to 131 and she doesnt have any saggy skin.