Any cures for "end of the day fatigue"?

Options
Hello all!
I am 24 years old and I want to get back into a daily work out routine. But, I am very tired at the end of the day when I have the time to work out. How do you all not just sit on the couch and veg out after working 8 hours aday? Any advice, ideas, tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• Fatchickslim
    Fatchickslim Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't even work a full 8hrs a day and I feel knackered but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, yesterday I was falling asleep at my desk and just wanted to go home and nap but instead I jumped on my treadmill and belted out a 45 min brisk walk with some jogging, then I had my shower so that I could just crawl into my jamas after I'd fed the kids and crash into bed!
    I'm not a morning person and I'm trying to get into the habit of waking up earlier so that I can get in some excersise before work but so far I've only managed this once! Damn the snooze button!! You tend to feel more awake after excersise anyway so you might be surprised.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of green tea after dinner. It helps with digestion/metabolism and gives me that extra energy kick I need to get through my workout.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    how about working out in the mornings?

also do you drink coffee in the morning? I have heard that when caffeine wears out it makes people more tired than they are supposed to be.
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would start by getting a good nights sleep. (this coming frome a person who goes to bed when their kids do....anywhere from 8:30pm to 9:30 pm) I get up at 6:30 am. Of course it also depends upon the quality of sleep as well.
    Then start with a small exercise routine. maybe just a 15 min walk 3X a week. Do it right after work or when you get up in the morning. What ever time of day you like. I perfer to do it earlier in the day. Then I can relax at the end of the day.

Remember when first starting out KEEP IT SIMPLE...people get turned off from exercising because they are all excited about their new "change" that they have made (decision to get in shape, exercise, lose weight etc.) that they end up doing too much too often and end up burning theirselves out....ending up quiting/losing interest quickly.

you can always just go for a stroll on your day off....and don't feel guilty if you don't exercise everyday....make a goal of 3x a week for 15 min in the begining...you can always add more time down the road. Join a bowling league or maybe there is volleyball at your local YMCA, or even swimming or aquasize...its all exercise.

Grab a buddy too...it makes it eaisier to get up off your butt when you have someone to do it with.

Good Luck!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Get your vitamins! I found I was really tired and I was borderline anemic and diagnosed hypothyroid!

My doctor told me to start a iron regime, and my energy is almost back to normal. It makes a big difference.

When I am feeling a little tired, I have a multivitamin. It helps about 80% of the time. Also, have a glass of water. You could be dehydrated. If you aren't caffeine sensitive, try a a cup of tea about an hour before workout time.

The last thing is, tell yourself to go and exercise for only 10 minutes and then you go can go home. You'll find that most of the time when you get there and start working out, you have the energy to finish.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    I'm a nurse so on my feet all day and after 8 hours-yup exhaused! So I work out at 6am in the morning-go to work with heaps of energy! And go to bed at 830pm (so no late night snacking win-win!)
  • PsycGeek
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I will look into doing all of the suggestions!

@jadedone: What did you do for your iron regime? A few months ago I was borderline iron deficient, but I just started taking a multivitamin. Thanks!

You guys are awesome, thanks for the well wishes! Kepp up all your good work, and someday I can share my success with you all!
  • littlemount
    Options
    I recently read that a calcium /magnesium supplement especially the magnesium relaxes the muscles gets rid of the fatigue. I will post later on the dosage of the magnesium.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I go straight to the gym from work so there's no time to sit down. I also go with a friend so that I'll be letting her down if I blow off exercise.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning as much as possible because I get major "end of the day fatigue"! On days when I just can't seem to get up early enough, I'll get on the elliptical an hour after dinner while watching one of my favorite tv shows. It really makes the time go by alot faster.

Watching something on Netflix on your phone while doing cardio at the gym works too. I just have to find a way to distract myself when I really don't feel like working out :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I will look into doing all of the suggestions!

@jadedone: What did you do for your iron regime? A few months ago I was borderline iron deficient, but I just started taking a multivitamin. Thanks!

I am taking a ton! Initially 3 iron supplements per day. Now I am slacking off, and I only take 2 per day, w/ lunch and dinner. Check in with your doctor, I might have been much lower that you were. I have been doing this for around a year and a half, and my iron is normal but I am still maintaining the high doses.

I would add a dedicated supplement daily, paired with vitamin C. I cannot take the iron alone on an empty stomach, so I take it with food.