Weight loss during pregnancy??

Options
Are there anyone else trying to shed a few pounds during pregnancy??

Replies

• liveletl0ve
    Options
    that is not healthy in any way. google it.
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thats not a good idea. you want the baby to be fed. I did lose weight, but it was a pregnancy-induced thyroid issue.
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    Something you NEED to speak with your OB about, period.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The only time I lost weight during pregnancy was when I had the flu. Sicker than a dog -- couldn't keep anything down. I would not suggest purposely losing weight, tho. Too much stress on you and the baby. There will plenty of time post-pregnancy to lose weight.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Please do not try to lose weight during pregnancy. That is not healthy for the baby. If you are overweight, your goal may be not to gain much, but definitely not to lose. Please talk to your doctor about it.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Be very careful and talk to your doctor.

I was 260 when I got pregnant with my son and 268 when I delivered. He was a 9.5pound baby.
    I ate very healthy during that pregnancy. My doc was ok with me only gaining 8, but was very specific about not having a loss.
  • OliveJuice821
    Options
    I know for a chunk of the pregnancy, depending on how much one weighs, that is, they can try to maintain their current weight, but not actually aim to lose.

Check out Baby Center: http://www.babycenter.com/0_plus-size-and-pregnant-how-to-manage-your-weight-during-preg_1313887.bc

Honestly, this is my go-to site for anything baby/child related.
  • Ashley121205
    Ashley121205 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thats not a good idea. you want the baby to be fed. I did lose weight, but it was a pregnancy-induced thyroid issue.

I second this post. I had abnormal thyroid levels in the beginning and 2nd trimester so I lost weight not intending too but my daughter grew to be 8 lbs luckily :) I think just eating healthy and incorporating a low impact movement like taking a walk. But I'm not a doctor.
  • justagirl34
    Options
    Experts advise women with a healthy BMI ­– 18.5 to 24.9 – to gain between 25 and 35 pounds. If you're overweight, it's recommended that you gain between 15 and 25 pounds by the end of your pregnancy, at a rate of approximately 2 to 3 pounds a month, mostly in your second and third trimesters. Women who are obese are advised to gain only 11 to 20 pounds during pregnancy.

This is from the site babycenter.com but def. ask your doctor
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You should focus on eating healthy during your pregnancy. This way you and the baby are getting good nutrients and then after you deliver the baby keep it up and you will have an easier time losing weight. Before making any changes consult your dr.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    that is not healthy in any way. google it.

Or instead of using google, talk to your doctor. Depending on one's BMI, it can be safe to lose or maintain weight during pregnancy. This, of course, needs to be medically monitored. I maintained my weight during pregnancy - in fact, I think I was a pound or two less the day I delivered than the day of my first prenatal appointment. I ate well and walked a lot - losing weight was NOT my goal, nor was it even to maintain but rather to be *healthy* for me and my child. I delivered a very healthy baby who is now a healthy and bright toddler.

OP, talk to your doctor about this. At your weight, most doctors will suggest you gain a moderate amount of weight to maintain a healthy pregnancy - but no one on this board can give you an answer. Your baby's health, and your health, are the most important thing during this process and only your ob can give you the information that's right for your body.
  • Jenatello
    Jenatello Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while pregnant is NOT recommended. Eat healthy (and frequently) and do light exercise everyday (LIGHT exercise) and you will only gain between 15-25lbs, which is a healthy weight to gain. And if you breastfeed after you have the baby that will help you lose any of the weight that decides to stick around.

I lost 5lbs in the beginning of my first pregnancy because I had horrible morning sickness. But gained it back and then some. lol
  • GMCampos
    Options
    Morbid obesity runs in my family... and I see my sister or mother at more than 300 lbs.. and they seem to either not have the will or capabilities to lose it. I don't want that to be me. My normal diet consists of alot of fried foods.. alot of sodas.. fast food... just not healthy. My doctor and I agreed that a diet would be a good idea. He gave me a book with pregnancy safe exercises, and told me that I could ALOT could be lost by changing what I eat and not necessarily eating less. Cause sodas cause water retention and some foods are harder and take longer to digest than others.. So I'm hoping this can help me.
  • silky04
    Options
    I don't think that it is not very healthy to loose weight during pregnancy.
    Anyways if you don't wish to gain those extra pounds during the course of pregnancy then you can practice prenatal yoga workout during pregnancy and postnatal yoga workout after pregnancy.

Visit: http://www.divinewellness.com
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First I was 80kg before and during and 73 after delivery

My twins I was 74kg before pregnancy 82 at 9 months and 68kg a week after.

Honestly I was sick as a dog and I am very blessed my children were born so healthy. With my son all I could manage to keep down was soup and juice and after him my arm bones would bend in with light squeezing.

You must must must eat enough it is very important for the baby you eat enough of the right foods. Start by eating cereal for breakfast with full cream milk no low fat or skim you need the fat and the calcium (if you don't have enough they strip your bones and teeth for it), next lots of fresh fruits and veg (pregnancy can cause constipation wet foods like raw fruit help digestion and are full of fiber), lots and lots of water from the start, stay away from the bad for baby foods, eat meat and green veg you need the extra iron.

Do yoga for pregnancy or water aerobics for exercise. If you are heavily overweight you may loose in pregnancy but you won't know until AFTER the baby is born! That number on the scale should stay the same as you get healthier and the baby grows at the very least or it will climb that is normal. After the baby is born, say a week after, you will know the amount you lost in pregnancy by healthy eating and light exercise.

It isn't just the baby that adds weight, you need more blood in pregnancy, fluid, placenta ect ect this all passes 1 week after the baby. so aim to get healthy during pregnancy not loose weight that will come as a product of eating healthy anyway.
  • GMCampos
    Options
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070605185550.htm

This link clearly states that obese and overweight women are now encouraged to diet or lose weight during pregnancy. I don't understand why there's so many different views..
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't take advice from the internet on the life of your CHILD! talk to a DOCTOR! you are encouraged to *maintain* not lose. any nutrients you don't take in are nutrients he or she is not getting! they eat what you eat!!!
  • jessiemcc
    jessiemcc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think you want to try to lose weight. Many toxins are fat soluble and are stored in fat cells. When you lose weight these toxins are released into your bloodstream - the same one you share with your baby. I am also pregnant and using MFP but really just to be cognizant of what I'm eating and to make sure I'm not eating for two. You can set your account to "maintain weight" and know that with all the effort it takes to make a baby you get between 180-200 more calories a day! It's much easier to think about maintaining and eating really healthy non-processed foods that are good for you and your baby than it is to think about restricting when you body needs all the calories it can get to make that baby. They actually say you burn more calories lying on the couch while your baby is developing inside you than you do working out hard at the gym. So enjoy this special time!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be closely monitored by your doctor. Cutting calories is not a good idea but exchanging fast food, fried foods and soda for healthier food is a great idea. I was gestational diabetic in my last pregnancy. I gained 11 pounds total but maintained my weight the last 3 months. The dr and diabetic nutritionist kept close tabs on my diet (including daily phone calls at times)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Experts advise women with a healthy BMI ­– 18.5 to 24.9 – to gain between 25 and 35 pounds. If you're overweight, it's recommended that you gain between 15 and 25 pounds by the end of your pregnancy, at a rate of approximately 2 to 3 pounds a month, mostly in your second and third trimesters. Women who are obese are advised to gain only 11 to 20 pounds during pregnancy.

This is from the site babycenter.com but def. ask your doctor

Yes. True story. Losing weight during pregnancy, or even not gaining enough, could result in a premature or underweight baby. Check out the March of Dimes website for more info!

"If you began pregnancy overweight, you should gain only 15 to 25 pounds over the 9 months."

"If you were obese (with a BMI over 30) at the start of your pregnancy, you should gain only 11 to 20 pounds over the 9 months."

More info
    > http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/nutrition.html