Changed goal weight = changed daily calorie goal????

Options
Not sure is this is the appropriate board for this, but I decided to update my overall goal weight from 135 to 120. That is the only change I made, I left everything else exactly the same, but as soon as I made the change my daily calorie goal dropped from 1410 to 1390. It's not a huge change & totally doable, but I'm wondering if the change is taking into account the fact that I've lost 12 lbs since joining MFP so it gave me a new calorie goal based on my new weight. If that is the case should I go update my goals every time I lose weight or periodically or something?

Replies

• Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure it would be due to your weight loss. MFP prompts you to recalculate after every 10lbs loss too I think.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly sure it would be due to your weight loss. MFP prompts you to recalculate after every 10lbs loss too I think.
    Spot on... You should be recalculating every ten pounds... I do everytime I weigh-in
  • mspetrone
    mspetrone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    how do you do it??
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    mspetrone wrote: »
    how do you do it??

How do you recalculate? Just go back through MFP guided setup, like you did when you signed up.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    If you go to the guided set-up, it calculates a goal based on your current weight and rate of loss. When you went in to update your goal weight, even though you didn't change anything else, it recalculated your calorie goal based on your current weight. That's not necessarily a bad thing - you should reevaluate your calorie goal along the way as you lose weight because the less mass you have, the less energy it takes to move yourself around.

And in reality, the change of 20 calories per day is deminimis. I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just keep working to stay right around goal, then pay attention to whether or not results are in line with what would be expected. If so, keep going. If not, make changes. Either way - keep sticking to it and continue observing.
  • jjjsroach
    jjjsroach Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great advice!