Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone here over 70?

I'm determined to get into the normal weight range for my age, and MFP seems like a great tool. I'm in my early 70s, and dragging around extra weight seems foolish. I need to remain as active and healthy as possible so that I can enjoy travel, the outdoors, and my children and grandchildren for years to come. It seems as though everyone on MFP is much younger, even those who complain about being "older" or even "old" once they hit 50. I'm finding that 70s is a fabulous age. I'd love to have a few friends who are at my stage of the journey.

Replies

• elinjons
    elinjons Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, I am 73, and have been using MFP since June last year.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I'm 63 but there are lots of people here over 70. add me as a friend if you would like!
  • Maywin
    Maywin Posts: 12 Member
    Hi, I'm 68 and have just started back here after a long break. I want to lose another 28 pounds. I have 2 sons, 1 daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren. I want to stay fit as long as possible as I'm very involved with my grandchildren, getting them to school, watching football matches etc.
    Add me as a friend if you would like to. :)
  • nonniebg
    nonniebg Posts: 3 Member
    I am new to this site and looking for help. I'm 79 and need to lose about 70 pounds. Having a hard time trying to figure out 1200 cal. meals. Any tips would be welcomed.
  • elinjons
    elinjons Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, I am 73. I have been either on a diet or putting on weight all my adult life. When I hit 70 I decided that I had had enough, no more dieting. Two years later I had piled on so much weight that I realized that I might end up in a wheelchair. That was in June last year, and that is when I started my, hopefully, last diet. I have lost 35 kilos since then, using My fitness pal to record my food, a pedoneter to count my steps, and a very active Labrador to keep me company on walks. I am now down from size 22 (UK) to 14. I was on 1000 calories a day for the first few months, increasing it to 1200 atvthe end of last year. I still record my food and I try to walk 10.000 steps a day. It has been tough, but so rewarding to see the weight come off and putting my big clothes into storage bags, hopefully never to be worn again.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    elinjons wrote: »
    Hi, I am 73. I have been either on a diet or putting on weight all my adult life. When I hit 70 I decided that I had had enough, no more dieting. Two years later I had piled on so much weight that I realized that I might end up in a wheelchair. That was in June last year, and that is when I started my, hopefully, last diet. I have lost 35 kilos since then, using My fitness pal to record my food, a pedoneter to count my steps, and a very active Labrador to keep me company on walks. I am now down from size 22 (UK) to 14. I was on 1000 calories a day for the first few months, increasing it to 1200 atvthe end of last year. I still record my food and I try to walk 10.000 steps a day. It has been tough, but so rewarding to see the weight come off and putting my big clothes into storage bags, hopefully never to be worn again.

Well done Elinjons! Congratulations!

I am not 70 yet, but will be 65 in the fall.

My epiphany came @ age 60. I have been on MFP for four years now and have lost over half of my current body weight. Been on maintenance for over 2 years now. It is tough, but so worth the effort.

MFP & my fit bit have been, and are, crucial to my success.

• TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    I am 63 and you can friend me if you need support. I have about 70 left to goal. I am taking it slow and sensibly. I am down 45 pounds so far last year, but not all on MFP.
  • annnpat
    annnpat Posts: 2 Member
    I am 71. just retired and moved from california to grand jct, which I love. I always wanted to be a ranger so I signed up to volunteer at the colorado monument - which I love. even got a new hat but the shirt dosent fit. I have to wear a mans shirt. .... hoping this to be a strong motive to be faithful to my weight loss.
  • jeanne1836
    jeanne1836 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I'm 84 and have a huge family to keep up with (35 great grandchildren) I try to eat as healthy as i can and keep moving!. We can do it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    edited February 15
    Good luck going forward for you. Diet is important for sure but I believe maintaining or increasing muscle to be more important at this age. I'll be 71 in March. Yeah, lots of older people tend to move less and also eat less and sarcopenia is a real thing that can be very problematic just for the simple tasks like walking, bending over and for balance and recovery, which are often life altering, so exercise is my emphasis with aging. Oh, and if your consuming less animal protein at this time, eat more of it. :)
  • dijoze
    dijoze Posts: 1 Member
    Ready to start this program again. Over 70 and some of my demands have eased. Was on here before and enjoyed this process. Would like to lose 25 lbs in a good way. Dijoze
  • cratone7276
    cratone7276 Posts: 5 Member
    65 here. Welcome!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 894 Member
    I’m 70 and committed to getting healthy. I have about 56 lbs. to lose. I’m on a daily challenge on MFP. It really helps.