just got braces HELP !!!!!!

Options
I'm 29 and i just got braces for the second time , they hurt worse then i remembered. i have a calorie goal aday of 1200 calories that my doctor put me on and i walk 2 1/2 hours aday. since my teeth really hurt It's going to be hard for me to reach this goal . does anyone have any suggestions on what i can have so i dont have to really chew and still get my daily intake goal. thanks.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Our brains don't let us remember pain, otherwise women would stop at having just one child. :laugh:

I'd suggest protein shakes to help fill in the calories until you feel comfortable eating again. Buy some protein powder and experiment with different flavors and ingredients so you aren't drinking the same thing every day.

ETA: We can remember that we were IN pain but just not the actual pain itself. This is why we're sometimes surprised by how much something hurts when we experience it again or how much it doesn't hurt if we have a tendency to exaggerate. :laugh: I don't think anyone would actually want to be able to recall the physical pain of an experience.
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What about Protein Powder Shakes? I had one this morning for breaky.
    Fills you up and has many different flavors, there are so many different ones out there.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    P shakes.

Soup (believe me you can gain many calories there)
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Your mouth will feel ok in a few days. Don't worry
  • bjhadden
    Options
    I would go with oatmeal for breakfast and soups for lunch and supper. Hope the pain ends soon!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I actually do remember the pain of braces. I didn't just have the standard first week of pain, my adjustments always felt like I just got them on for the first time (I had teeth pulled in the beginning, so my orthodontist was trying to move a lot of stuff around in there).

I remember eating pasta, oatmeal, and anything else soft that didn't require biting or too much chewing. Shakes and smoothies are a great idea, too.
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Protein shake for breakfast, soup for lunch and dinner!!! Then some smoothies!!
  • AngieR1106
    Options
    Mashed potatoes? Shakes/Smoothies? Soup?

Also, each time you go for an adjustment, eat immediately after you leave - it will help prevent your teeth from getting so sore. That was the best advice my ortho gave me when I had mine. Good luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, eggs, ground turkey, over cooked veggies, bananas
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My brain doesn't forget pain. I remember learning to chew with my tongue when my teeth really hurt! But the intense pain only lasted a day or two.

My go-to food was mashed potato with cheese melted into it. I'm not anti-carb, though.

Chicken breast chopped into tiny pieces and cooked in a crock pot is wonderfully tender, too.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Or you could just toss stuff in a blender, buy a crazy straw, and have whatever you want ;)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! You can add almost anything to them! Protein powder, frozen berries, yogurt, milk, juice, ice, bananas, greens (spinach, kale), oils (i like coconut oil), flax seed, wheat germ, I even added oats to mine this morning! I recently made a banana and peanut butter smoothie with some vanilla protein mix with ice. YUM!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I remember braces. The not-so-fond memories!

I had very sensitive teeth, so chewing, even lightly, was out of the question.

My suggestions would be:
    Soup
    Oatmeal
    Smoothies
    Overcooked veggies
    Protien/meal replacement shakes.
    Baby food?
  • tera7363
    tera7363 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 & getting braces in December OH JOY! I would suggest soup, oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, pudding, jello.

You should be feeling a lot better in a week. My daughter has braces right now.

Good luck!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Soup! I did my second round of braces when I was 29 and I learned to make all sorts of very healthy, filling soups that got me through when I was very sore. Also, I know it doesn't feel like it now, but as you progress through treatment and your gums loosen up a bit to let your teeth move, you will probably find it to be much less painful, even after adjustments. If you want some good, healthy recipes for soup, let me know!