Low iron and fatigue

Options
Does anyone else experience fatigue especially after their period? I seem to have all this energy and then after my period I’m completely exhausted with no energy?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood tests for anemia? I would start there.

Don't start taking iron supplements without being tested and talking to your doctor. If iron deficiency is not the problem, it's harmful to take iron that you don't need.
  • bishopjulia
    bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes I had a blood test and iron was at 7 which is low. Dr put me on iron. I guess that explains my fatigue. …. Find it frustrating to have no energy… throws me off my routine.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Your doctor may have already told you this, but vitamin C helps with absorption of iron. If your supplement isn't raising your iron levels enough, it's worth making sure you take it with some vitamin C containing juice or food.
  • bishopjulia
    bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Low ferritin makes a big difference in energy, especially if you are working out. It can take a while for your iron stores to build up again. The levels that are considered normal are not necessarily sufficient if you are an athlete. (i.e. 16 is normal but anything below 50 can affect performance. You can still be active, but it feels much harder.)