Bikram yoga

Options
Yogis and Yoginis,

How many of you have practiced/are practicing bikram yoga?

I started in the end of May but did not go a lot due to school and travel abroad. I recently signed up for a year and am enjoying it but.... I noticed most people at my studio are not in great shape. Even the people who have been coming for a long time are not in that great shape (although, I admit I don't know where they started.)

So I'm questioning if Bikram yoga is really that great of a workout. It is intense and I do feel sore after doing it but maybe that's just because I have really tight hips and hamstrings?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• jedinight32
    Options
    Greetings fellow yogi,

I have been practicing yoga for a short time (end of June 2011-present) and I absolutely love it. I only started getting into Bikram yoga and have been to three sessions so far. I really enjoy the experience and feel like I have gotten a great workout/stretch. The yogi instructor keeps the room at 100 degrees so that we can get into the postures safely and we go through the whole 26 pose sequence most of the time. Have you tried some other classes or have you just been going to bikram sessions? I like going to a hip opener class because I get to do a lot of stretching poses that are targeted to the hips as well as hamstrings, so maybe you could look into that and incorporate that into your practice as well as the bikram yoga sessions. I am so happy to find another yogi here! Feel free to friend me if you like. Namaste!
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I've been going since April 2010, but really started to notice changes when I began going 5+ times a week in April 2011. In order to really see a difference, frequency and focus on correct form are important. Many people that go do not go frequently enough to really gain the benefits from the yoga. If you can get a hold of Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class book, Bikram explains why frequency is imperative, especially as a beginner.

It really is a good workout, and is excellent cross-training for many other things. I did a 30-day challenge last June, and definitely felt more toned up and slimmer by the end. I usually try to do other exercise as well though, such as running.
  • Lucylaser
    Lucylaser Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not for me. I went a couple times and the last time I went I totally puked during class! If given the chance I prefer to do something with a bit more cardio intensity. But I have a few friends that swear by it. And despite the vomit fest, I did go back and finish the class and did feel good endorphin wise after, but its just not my style.
  • atisketataskets
    Options
    I have always preferred the "heated" yoga studios to standard yoga facilities. What I find with Yoga is an overall sense of wellbeing. I lose inches for some reason when I first start back, and I feel super flexible - I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's the same feeling I get after an adjustment at the chiropractor. My body just feels more in alignment! The heat helps!

Our yoga instructor always says that Yoga is like wrapping your limps around each other and squeezing the toxins out of your body. I love it!
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    jedinight32, my studio is Bikram only (that's the way Bikram wants it) so it's always the standard class: same heat, complete 26 postures + 2 breathing exercises, same dialog, etc. We have no other types of classes. I think you are taking hot yoga, right? It's great that you love it!

xaintes, I've noticed frequency is important too. I noticed 6+ classes a week are when I make the most improvement but it is a bit tiring and I need time to do school work. I'm trying to go to a minimum of 3-5 times now. I want to do a 30-day challenge one day too! That's amazing that you did it :-) I will definitely check out the book since you recommend it.

Lucylaser, OMG I've never heard of anyone puking in class! You must have felt so terrible :-( Luckily for me I like the heat and have never gotten truly nauseous. I've definitely felt like I was on the verge of passing out a few times (you know that feeling when your vision starts to go?) but I never have. It's also good cardio for me if the instructor pushes us to move fast and the room is hot enough. Some teachers go a bit slower and then I feel as if I haven't worked out.

atisketataskets, you are so right about feeling more in alignment! As I go more I hope I will be able to feel even better. Chiropractic only ever sort-or worked for me.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i started bikram yoga this month and have gone 18 times. i (mostly) enjoyed it. i ended up puking after class 4 times and was nauseous after 7, but it is getting better.

i think the problem with many people not looking fit while practicing bikram yoga is that they believe the exaggerated calorie burn claims. i use 'stretching, hatha yoga' from the database and it has me at a 206 calorie burn for 90 minutes. if i took their claim of 500-800 calories per class, i would be overeating and lot losing weight. hope that makes sense. :)
  • crittytn
    Options
    I've done Bikram for 3 or 4 years now off and on. I'm in an off phase right now as I'm concentrating on my cardio and weights program I've started.

That being said, the more you go, the more results you see. I've done 3 different 30 day challenges and saw incredible results each time. And I was in great shape and at a pretty good weight when I was going 4 or so times a week when I wasn't doing the challenges.

It is my absolute favorite thing to do. My program now has an active rest week at different points and I'll be in the Bikram studio several times that week!

It's important to not crank up your eating, though, if you do want to see results, even if you're starving (which it can make you feel like you're starving). To avoid that starving sensation, make sure that you drink plenty of fluids, especially eletrolytes (coconut water is good for that) and regulate your eating. I found that if I really planned my meals on yoga days to be lighter around class times and spaced far enough away from class to not feel icky and include my extra fluids that I did really well and saw weight loss and toning. I saw less results when I went hog wild "listening to my body". And it's just as important to not eat too little as well. A little experimentation will show you the best methods for you. It's important to be as steady and mindful of your eating as you are of your practice. Find the balance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Yogis and Yoginis,

How many of you have practiced/are practicing bikram yoga?

I started in the end of May but did not go a lot due to school and travel abroad. I recently signed up for a year and am enjoying it but.... I noticed most people at my studio are not in great shape. Even the people who have been coming for a long time are not in that great shape (although, I admit I don't know where they started.)

So I'm questioning if Bikram yoga is really that great of a workout. It is intense and I do feel sore after doing it but maybe that's just because I have really tight hips and hamstrings?

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    Almost all yoga is low in caloric burns. Since at lot of the strength is isometric, eventually the body will adapt to it. Most probably are there for the enjoyment of yoga and the relief of stress.
  • jedinight32
    Options
    jedinight32, my studio is Bikram only (that's the way Bikram wants it) so it's always the standard class: same heat, complete 26 postures + 2 breathing exercises, same dialog, etc. We have no other types of classes. I think you are taking hot yoga, right? It's great that you love it!

Perhaps my new-ness to yoga has left me misinformed. I am taking hot yoga and we do the 26 postures and I take other yoga classes and power walk as another form of exercise. I say try bikram again a few times because it is still a really good practice :)
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    i started bikram yoga this month and have gone 18 times. i (mostly) enjoyed it. i ended up puking after class 4 times and was nauseous after 7, but it is getting better.

i think the problem with many people not looking fit while practicing bikram yoga is that they believe the exaggerated calorie burn claims. i use 'stretching, hatha yoga' from the database and it has me at a 206 calorie burn for 90 minutes. if i took their claim of 500-800 calories per class, i would be overeating and lot losing weight. hope that makes sense. :)
    It's important to not crank up your eating, though, if you do want to see results, even if you're starving (which it can make you feel like you're starving). To avoid that starving sensation, make sure that you drink plenty of fluids, especially eletrolytes (coconut water is good for that) and regulate your eating. I found that if I really planned my meals on yoga days to be lighter around class times and spaced far enough away from class to not feel icky and include my extra fluids that I did really well and saw weight loss and toning. I saw less results when I went hog wild "listening to my body". And it's just as important to not eat too little as well. A little experimentation will show you the best methods for you. It's important to be as steady and mindful of your eating as you are of your practice. Find the balance.

OMG you guys are probably right and this puts me in a huge calorie overload! I've been using 788 calories as my amount for bikram yoga and have been eating all or part of that. I am extremely hungry after yoga and usually snack and then eat dinner. Maybe I should get a heart rate monitor and really figure out how much I'm burning? I'm so bummed now :-(

Although, maybe I should try to add electrolytes before I get bummed about not being able to eat when I'm hungry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are probably right and this puts me in a huge calorie overload! I've been using 788 calories as my amount for bikram yoga and have been eating all or part of that. I am extremely hungry after yoga and usually snack and then eat dinner. Maybe I should get a heart rate monitor and really figure out how much I'm burning? I'm so bummed now :-(

Although, maybe I should try to add electrolytes before I get bummed about not being able to eat when I'm hungry.
    788?!!! Man that's a hardcore workout for myself!!! I'm betting that you don't burn more than 300 calories, which is about average for almost all yoga.
  • JustQue
    JustQue Posts: 157
    Options
    I did a 20 day challenge with it once and I loved it. It is really great not only physically but mentally. It helped me to get rid of some pains I had and my sleeping improved along with my flexibility. I would encourage you to get there early and get acclimated to the temperature first. Take your time and only do what you feel comfortable with. Don't be afraid to sit down and rest if you need to. Also go and try different instructors. I found I like one more than the others which really helped me to focus. Q
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Heart rate monitors are useless for bikram or other types of "hot" yoga. HRMs are the reason people make such exaggerated claims about the calorie burn for these classes. Too many people think their bogus HRM numbers are "real".
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are useless for bikram or other types of "hot" yoga. HRMs are the reason people make such exaggerated claims about the calorie burn for these classes. Too many people think their bogus HRM numbers are "real".

So how do I figure out how many calories I'm burning in bikram yoga? Because I highly doubt that I'm only burning the 220 calories in 90 minutes that MFP is giving me (although I also doubt I'm really burning 788+calories as other calories calculators have given me.)
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    788?!!! Man that's a hardcore workout for myself!!! I'm betting that you don't burn more than 300 calories, which is about average for almost all yoga.

You're right, it is quite high. But only 300? Really? I do feel that I'm working pretty hard.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    hi there!

regarding calorie burn for hot yoga (granted i usually am not doing Bikram, but Hatha and Ashtanga yoga in a heated room (104+/-) for 90 min), i have worn my BodyMedia armband a couple of times to try and get a good idea of what i was burning.... and the average has been around 300. Yes, the room was hot (sometimes 107), and Yes, the practice was vigorous/intense...but still only around 300 (i weight about 132/133).

there are still so many benefits to yoga practice, that the burns almost seem irrelevant.

enjoy your practices!

namaste.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram yoga. I wouldn't consider it a calorie burn activity, though. I think 300 calories for a 90-minute session is about right. That's for me at 200 lbs. It's not really an intense workout in the sense that running or aerobics would be. I have read that the higher temp can contribute to the artificially high HRM readings. And remember, even a top-of-the-line HRM that is 100% accurate on HR is still only estimating calorie burns.

There are other activities to help me burn calories. Still, Bikram is good for me. I love the concept of continually practicing the same 26 movements, and the heat seems to help with my old creaky joints. I think it helps me with focus and balance. Staying hydrated is crucial, and I have to really balance the calories when I go. I don't want to be full because I can feel nauseous, but I also don't want to be too hungry because I will get light-headed.
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    hi there!

regarding calorie burn for hot yoga (granted i usually am not doing Bikram, but Hatha and Ashtanga yoga in a heated room (104+/-) for 90 min), i have worn my BodyMedia armband a couple of times to try and get a good idea of what i was burning.... and the average has been around 300. Yes, the room was hot (sometimes 107), and Yes, the practice was vigorous/intense...but still only around 300 (i weight about 132/133).

there are still so many benefits to yoga practice, that the burns almost seem irrelevant.

enjoy your practices!

namaste.

Thank you so much for this valuable information! We are about the same weight so I think 300 calories is what I burn too.

Also, I just checked out the Bodymedia armband and it looks like a great tool! Here I was thinking that the HRM was the be-all end-all. I am so out of the loop.
  • leylaaa87
    Options
    I love Bikram yoga. I wouldn't consider it a calorie burn activity, though. I think 300 calories for a 90-minute session is about right. That's for me at 200 lbs. It's not really an intense workout in the sense that running or aerobics would be. I have read that the higher temp can contribute to the artificially high HRM readings. And remember, even a top-of-the-line HRM that is 100% accurate on HR is still only estimating calorie burns.

There are other activities to help me burn calories. Still, Bikram is good for me. I love the concept of continually practicing the same 26 movements, and the heat seems to help with my old creaky joints. I think it helps me with focus and balance. Staying hydrated is crucial, and I have to really balance the calories when I go. I don't want to be full because I can feel nauseous, but I also don't want to be too hungry because I will get light-headed.

It does seems as if bikram really isn't a good calories burning activity. I guess I will have to add in more exercise, even though bikram takes up a lot of my time.