Confused about Sugar

Options
I am amazed that I am already over my sugar allowance and I have only had a banana for breakfast (21 sugar units !) and a turkey salad for lunch. Why do bananas have so much sugar in them ?

I will be going back to porridge for breakfast tomorrow !

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sugar too. But I try to limit the "added" sugars in processed foods. If I look at my food selections and nearly all are natural foods, such as whole fruits and veggies, then I don't worry too much about it. Now, if I look at my diary and the culprits are cookies, cereals, breads, ketchup, and the like...then I need to adjust my choices. But ultimately, I don't worry too much about it as long as most of what I eat is healthy.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, I've only just added sugar to my diary and was horrified that I have been over most days but due to fruits and veg. I can't see how I could ever eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day AND be low enough for sugar for MFP.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The limits really apply only to "added" sugars, although too much of even a good thing is not wise.

For example: My protein bar is sugar free, my bread is sugar free, and I check the sugar content of every product I buy and minimize it.

Now yesterday, I ate a couple pieces of dark chocolate, so I kinda really went over, lol. It was worth it though!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Most fruit is high in sugar--they've been hybridized to be sweet and delicious! That being said, it means they have lots of sugar (fructose) and if you're trying to watch your sugar, then keep fruit to a minimum and eat vegetables or nuts instead when snacking. The (U.S.) recommended daily max is 40gr of sugar based on a 2000 calorie diet and that's the metric MFP uses to calculate. I go over mine all the time--it's hard in our western culture to avoid sugar--and I don't even eat dairy or baked goods. I do have sugar in my coffee though :wink:
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You know.. I wouldnt worry about it. MFP does NOT account for natural occuring sugar thats in fruits and veggies.. and we all know THOSE foods are good for you. Now if you are downing sugary soda and popping jolly ranchers all day.. well that maybe your problem :P Otherwise just take the sugar part off your diary..
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My personal philosophy is the less sugar, the better. I don't care what the source is and that includes fruits -- especially the sugary, starchy kind such as bananas. There are other fruits with less sugar and starch. Do some research and figure out what works for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar. As long as the sugar I'm getting is mainly from healthy food, I don't see the point.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    I normally eat carrots or apples for snacks and dark chocolate on occasion ;) I will be avoiding bananas in the future to be sure.

I see mention of Nuts as a snack are they not really high in fat ? Which are the best/cheapest nuts to eat ?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I normally eat carrots or apples for snacks and dark chocolate on occasion ;) I will be avoiding bananas in the future to be sure.

I see mention of Nuts as a snack are they not really high in fat ? Which are the best/cheapest nuts to eat ?

Nuts are high in fat but it's the healthy kind of fat. Because they are high in fat they are also high in calories so be sure to track them so you'll stay within your goals. I've found almonds and peanuts to be the cheapest. Or mixed nuts. Walnuts and pistachios are usually not too bad when on sale. Pecans, one of my personal favorites, are pretty expensive where I live. Peanuts and just about any tree nuts are good for you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, natural sugars shouldn't be that much of an issue. Bananas have all that sugar so they taste sweet. Yum!
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Take your sugar with fiber. In other words, usually the ill effects of sugar are balanced out by the fiber in fruit, so that source is preferable. When you're on a caloric deficit, simple sugars will be burned off pretty quickly, so I certainly would not be worried about going over the MFP recommendation from too much fruit.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Think of fruit as Nature's version of candy.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Nuts are a good source of fiber and other nutrients, and consumption of healthy fats are not a problem--we need a certain amount of fat for optimal health. Some nuts are healthier than others so if you want to snack AND limit fats, try for the ones high in Omega 3 to get the most benefit.

There's a chart here comparing nuts--calories, fiber and type of fats:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/Carbs-Fats-And-Calories-In-Nuts-And-Seeds.htm

Personally my favs are walnuts, pistachio, and macademia in that order.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    Think of fruit as Nature's version of candy.

Too true. I guess I never thought too hard about what is in the food I eat, which is why I am so fat atm. I love that MFP shows the break down of what is in the food I eat, helping me make healthier choices in the main, though I still have a long way to go.