Need help , Mental health

Options
My mental health appears to be very very fragile at the moment , im 317 days into my diet and i feel so sick of it , im sick of everything , i just wanna sit on my sofa and eat a bag of chips and enjoy a film , and the worst part about it is , i do have cheat meals , so wtf am i complaining about? I just feel so mentally run down , and i do have a really decent sustainable diet , im guessing this is harder for me because of my mental weakness , i am diagnosed mentally ill , but im sick of it being crutch for me / excuse , the only thing i can think of doing to slightly negate any of this is to get on my exercise bike and pedal until i cant pedal no more , i have a lot of pent up anger as well because of all this.

Only a idiot would throw away these loses ive had and im no idiot , but why does my brain keep telling me to quit , why is my body saying just come off the diet. I'm entangled by confusion , 117 pounds off and i want to pack it in.

Any words of wisdom , advice , anything , i will say this has been helpful venting on here though , and i do have a small group of friends that are really helpful , but i wanted to open this up to the floor.

Thanks for reading guys/Gals :) Stay safe.

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Hi
    It’s really hard. I would reach out to someone you feel ok to talk with about how you are feeling.
    I would take a break from weight loss. I don’t mean give up, just try and maintain your current weight. Then when you feel better, you can restart
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My mental health appears to be very very fragile at the moment , im 317 days into my diet and i feel so sick of it , im sick of everything , i just wanna sit on my sofa and eat a bag of chips and enjoy a film , and the worst part about it is , i do have cheat meals , so wtf am i complaining about? I just feel so mentally run down , and i do have a really decent sustainable diet , im guessing this is harder for me because of my mental weakness , i am diagnosed mentally ill , but im sick of it being crutch for me / excuse , the only thing i can think of doing to slightly negate any of this is to get on my exercise bike and pedal until i cant pedal no more , i have a lot of pent up anger as well because of all this.

Only a idiot would throw away these loses ive had and im no idiot , but why does my brain keep telling me to quit , why is my body saying just come off the diet. I'm entangled by confusion , 117 pounds off and i want to pack it in.

Any words of wisdom , advice , anything , i will say this has been helpful venting on here though , and i do have a small group of friends that are really helpful , but i wanted to open this up to the floor.

Thanks for reading guys/Gals :) Stay safe.

I find that feeling normal, b/c I resent all this effort even though I know it is best for me. I have diagnosed OCD (mild) and an anxiety disorder (severe), and take meds for them, full disclosure.

I'm not sure what helps, b/c although I lost 65 lbs over a couple of years, I've gained about 30 back and just started losing again--3 lbs in about 4 weeks. I try to be realistic and recognize "it's for the long haul," so any days I don't exceed my maintenance calories is a win--but that makes it feel like a longer haul, and I have things I want to do that I need to lose weight to do. Mostly related to running and hiking--I do both but have to be so careful b/c my knees have reacted to the weight gain and that sucks.

Wanting to just give up is such a strong feeling--but my desire to be mobile as I age is pretty strong, so my compromise is, "just don't give up." That means settling for very slow progress. And I'm hoping success will be motivating, like getting back down to "just overweight" from obese 1 (17 lbs to lose).

It's a struggle and I'm full of empathy, as well as so impressed by your success so far.

Hugs. Sometimes that's all I've got.

• TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    Thank you both for you replies , they helped :).
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any planned maintenance breaks? It sounds like you may benefit from spending a few weeks or more eating maintenance calories. You may want to consider changing your current goals in MyFitnessPal’s settings to maintenance while taking the planned break.
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    I'm taking it easy , eating at maintenance or sometimes lower , i mean im so used to it now sometimes it happens just from habit , but this is less stressful , still logging food.