Soup

Options
Question?
Being on a calorie deficit they said you can eat whatever you want just count your calories
Can I eat maruchan ramen soup ? Even if it has alot of sodium?
It is okay

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for fat loss.
    However, high-sodium foods can cause water retention, so you might see an increase on the scale due to eating the soup. But, it's just water weight, not fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    Yeah, that seems to be a popular answer that it's just calories for weight loss and people can eat whatever they want, but to be in a calorie deficit you need to eat some actual food and how much salt is too much for an individual will depend on too many factors to give you a specific answer for someones individual metabolic health needs. Most of the dietary guidance on salt is basically dictated by the high carb diet that is generally recommended which comes with it's share of processed and ultra processed foods that are laden with sodium of some kind but if someone is eating mostly whole foods or on a low carb or ketogenic diet then those people will want to add salt to their diet, so like I said it depends.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    I'd say that I agree with both the previous answers and also - add a cup of frozen vegetables to that, maybe shred some leftover meat into it if you are a meat eater or tofu if you prefer. The vegetables will help balance out the salt and will increase the nutritional value by a lot. You definitely can't live on just plain ramen, you need other additional things. Protein. Fat.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    Question?
    Being on a calorie deficit they said you can eat whatever you want just count your calories
    Can I eat maruchan ramen soup ? Even if it has alot of sodium?
    It is okay

At the risk of sounding snarky, think beyond “they said” and use your own noggin and creativity.

Add things, as suggested above.

OR, how about using a low sodium chicken broth (usually 10-15 calories per cup) and add things to that?

Or have a nice satisfying grilled chicken, rice, and vegetables for dinner and then add the leftovers to a bowl of soup?

I haven’t eaten a ramen package in 30-40 years, but back in tha day they were full of MSG.

The soup idea is often an indicator someone is planning to go super low cal for fast weight loss. Slow that pony down. If you lose the weight, what will you have learned? How will you keep it off? Or do you plan to live off ramen for the next umpteen decades?

Why not plan ahead- a good, filling menu of solid foods, supplemented by the occasional ramen when you’re in a pinch for time, have a few calories left, or because you just enjoy the stuff.

Please think about what you’re planning. Otherwise, you’ll drop a considerable weight, woo hoo! Go back to old habits. And we’ll see you again in a year or two, with a post “back again! Gained it all back!”

I’ve only been here 5 1/2 years and I’ve seen some IDs post that three and four times. I feel sorry for them, because they just. don’t. learn. from their mistakes. I’d rather have lost slowly, like I did, and keep it off than have to keep four or five wardrobes under the bed for frequent weight changes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    Options
    PS- regarding sodium? YMMV but I’ve learned to ignore sodium, based on me and my body.

I do a lot of hot mat classes, cardio, and swim. (It amazes me the sweat that can come out of a tight bathing cap!). I also live down south and walk a lot. It’s hot here eight months out of the year.

Hydration and heavy sweat are always an issue for me, hence I actually crave salt. Salty pretzels are a go-to snack for me. Sometimes I just have a hot cup of broth as a snack, in lieu of a tea, just to get some salt down. Ramen would be no issue for me, other than the MSG, which makes me climb the walls.

Listen to your body and learn from it. If it wants and needs salt, it’s telling you something.