Dumb question about water intake

Options
MFP says you should have 8 cups a day. What size should those cups be? 8oz, more? What do you count as a cup on your water intake. I drink 16.9oz bottles of water and count each as one so it generally looks pretty low. Am I lowballing this way?

Replies

• carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use the same size bottles and count each one as 2 glasses of water. I am making the assumption that 8 ounces is considered a glass or serving.

HTH!
  • brianklitzke
    brianklitzke Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1 cup=8oz
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    a quantity of 8 glasses... each holding 8 ounces...
  • blarics11
    Options
    I think you are... I do the same and i will drink at least 3 a day (i think thats like 81/2 cups)

do you do flavored water? I use the propel zero flavored water packets :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 oz so that 16.9 oz will be a little over 2 cups
  • luvlite2
    Options
    64ozs a day is suggested. So, yeah that would make your cup 8ozs.
  • kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A cup is exactly that, 8oz. Eight 8oz cups a day is recommended, but I try to go for 100oz minimum, which is about 12.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I use the same size bottles and count each one as 2 glasses of water. I am making the assumption that 8 ounces is considered a glass or serving.

HTH!
    I do the same thing!
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drink 20 oz waters and count them as 2 1/2 cups, using the 8 oz is a cup rule.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

HTH!
    I do the same thing!

Me too! :)

I was counting it as one then realized one day at 2pm I had already drank 3 liters of water.

LOL
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    They can be whatever size you wish them to be...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

By who? With what proof?
    We need less than we think. Among most adults, he found, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages constitute half or slightly more of their daily fluid intake, meaning the average adult drinks a respectable 1,700 ml and this doesn’t include the water from foods and metabolism, which also count. Yet, the medical research indicates that even 1,700 ml may be as much as a full liter more than what sedentary adults actually need to maintain physiological homeostasis, he said.

He couldn’t find any article where 8x8 was recommended on the basis of scientific evidence. The idea seemed to appear out of nowhere. He did, however, find one possible source for a misinterpretation that may have been repeated, like urban legends often are. The 1945 Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences had written in its Recommended Dietary Allowances:

A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.
    Dr. Valtin believes this last sentence may have been ignored, leaving the incorrect interpretation of these early dietary guidelines that eight glasses of water to be drunk each day.
  • Amyding115
    Options
    I know this place says 8 glasses per day. But here's a better equation to determine your daily intake.

Take your weight and divide it by two. This number is how many ounces of water you should drink.

Like me, I weigh 168. 168/2= 84. I should drink 84 ounces per water a day. That's 10.5 glasses compared to the recommended 8. Like everything else your intake should be dictated by you and your size, not universally for everyone.
  • adamsonam
    Options
    I think you are... I do the same and i will drink at least 3 a day (i think thats like 81/2 cups)

do you do flavored water? I use the propel zero flavored water packets :)

Only flavor I use is once in a great while I will use the special K strawberry kiwi. Love that!
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I know this place says 8 glasses per day. But here's a better equation to determine your daily intake.

Take your weight and divide it by two. This number is how many ounces of water you should drink.

Like me, I weigh 168. 168/2= 84. I should drink 84 ounces per water a day. That's 10.5 glasses compared to the recommended 8. Like everything else your intake should be dictated by you and your size, not universally for everyone.

Says who?
  • adamsonam
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! That means I have only been putting in 1/2 my intake!! That makes me feel so much better!!!!! :drinker: :laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. MOST OF THIS QUANTITY IS CONTAINED IN PREPARED FOODS".

Dr. Valtin believes this last sentence may have been ignored, leaving the incorrect interpretation of these early dietary guidelines that eight glasses of water to be drunk each day.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That's the best way in my opinion.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options

By who? With what proof?
    We need less than we think. Among most adults, he found, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages constitute half or slightly more of their daily fluid intake, meaning the average adult drinks a respectable 1,700 ml and this doesn’t include the water from foods and metabolism, which also count. Yet, the medical research indicates that even 1,700 ml may be as much as a full liter more than what sedentary adults actually need to maintain physiological homeostasis, he said.

He couldn’t find any article where 8x8 was recommended on the basis of scientific evidence. The idea seemed to appear out of nowhere. He did, however, find one possible source for a misinterpretation that may have been repeated, like urban legends often are. The 1945 Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences had written in its Recommended Dietary Allowances:

A suitable allowance of water for adults is 2.5 liters daily in most instances. An ordinary standard for diverse persons is 1 milliliter for each calorie of food. Most of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.

Counter argument from http://www.positivechangestoday.com/eightglassesofwater.html
    It was emphasized that the findings in the study are limited to healthy adults in a temperate climate leading a largely sedentary existence. It seems to me that leading a largely sedentary existence would not allow for good health in an adult. Therefore, the foundation of the study draws a mythical conclusion at best.

And another: http://www.harmonikireland.com/waiting-to-get-thirsty/
    I have come across this level of ignorance about the primary physiological role of water at another Ivy League medical school from another eminent professor of physiology who, like Dr. Valtin, researched and taught the water-regulatory mechanisms of the kidney to medical students and doctors. Only when I asked him what “hydrolysis” is, did the penny drop and he admitted the scientific fact that water is a nutrient and does indeed possess a dominant metabolic role in all physiological functions of the body.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have always assumed 1 glass = 8 oz. I actually was wondering the same thing and googled this last night, to find the correct answer. A lot of people already told you what I discovered in my research. As a guide line, 1 cup = 8 fluid ounces. Found on the Mayo Clinic - here is the link http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Here is a little story of what recently happened to me:

My glasses are larger than 8 ounce. I don't have the box they came in anymore so I could not check how many ounces they really are. I guessed that they were 12 ounce. When I first started MFP I calculated how many of my glasses I would have to drink a day to get the recommended amount of water. Then when I log my water I just keep count of how many of my glasses I drink. For me this is easier than having to figure out the ounces. So it never looks like I am drinking my 8 glasses, even though I really am. Today I was filling up my water bottle, I use this while I am working out, and noticed on the back it tells me how many ounces it holds- 14 oz. I then put my water bottle next to my regular glass.Side by side, clearly my regular drinking glasses that I use most of the time are much larger than my water bottle. I have been under estimating my water this entire time. <smacks self in head> :embarassed: