Bulking 2024

Options
Hi im startin my bulking journey and I was wondering if anyone have any tips for someone who is

153lbs (67.95 kg)
6’3ft (190.5cm)
Age 26
Goal is to get to 200 pounds

I want to gain muscle but mainly weight as I can tone out through weight training

Any advice is good, so thank you in advance !

Answers

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Just like with weight loss, the rules for weight gain are simple:

1. Eat more calories than you burn
    2. Slower is almost always better

Rapid weight loss can lead to all sorts of body chemistry issues, while rapid weight gain will often lead to adding lots of fat and only some muscle, when it sounds like your goal is lots of muscle and only some fat.

First, figure out where your "break even" point is for calories, the point where you eat just enough to neither gain nor lose weight. Now add 250 calories per day to this total. This will result in a gain of half a pound per week, which doesn't sound like much but does add up over time. Imagine yourself a year from now, with an extra 26 pounds of muscle on your frame but still with the same waistline you have today.

That's been my story this past year...I'm up 20 pounds from this time last year, no change in waistline, lots of change in the mirror!

Second, increase protein intake each day, not just on days you train. No need to go the extreme route of taking in 300g of protein each day; for your bodyweight of 153, anywhere from 150-180 per day is plenty to get started. You may experience slightly better gains with slightly higher intake, but I can easily hit 150g each day without a protein shake, only through diet alone. On days I lift, I simply eat the same but toss back a protein shake on top of it.

Third, your statement of "I can tone out through weight training" is bothersome, since you can't simply hit the weights and transform fat into muscle. Keep the gain muscle to begin with. Get enough lean meats and dairy to meet your daily protein goal; eat lots of vegetables for vitamins and fiber (which is good not only for regularity but also increases your body's ability to absorb your increased protein rather than simply pass straight through). Carbs will be the wild card; once you know how many calories your protein (and the natural fat that comes with it) and veggies provide, add enough carbs to meet your daily goal of maintenance plus 250. You'll hear lots of advice on the "ideal" carbs, but in my experience I keep it simple: a little bread here, daily dessert there, rice or noodles as the meal calls for it.

Patience, protein, and persistence: these "3 P's" will get you where you want to be. Welcome to the club!