Ive hit a plateau after 60 lbs lost... HELP

Options
Ive hit a plateau after 60 lbs lost... My trainer told me to take a week off at the gym and add 200cal to my diet. Anyone heard or tried this method?? I still have another 60lbs to lose....HELP

Replies

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have heard this from many MFP's and have done it myself it does work. Sometimes you need to confuse your body to get it out of the rut of your normal eating and workout routine.
  • Amyding115
    Options
    I recently hit a plateau and couldn't get past it. Then I got sick. So I just didn't have the energy to workout at all! But I did still track my calories. I made sure I never went over (okay, once) and the week i was sick I lost 3 pounds. give it a shot
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    Yup! Tried it and had success.
  • cjwilder2
    Options
    I would listen to your trainer. They are educated in nutrition. Good luck.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I've been there....Shake up your workouts, try new foods, drink more water....be patient :) I've been there many times!
    You can do it - Don't let that mess with your head.... :)
  • blunderwhere
    blunderwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oddly, decreasing activity a bit and adding food can jump start your metabolism. However, in my opinion, the best thing you can do at a plateau is be gracious and kind to yourself, know you are doing what you need to do, and just wait. You WILL start losing again. You body is just getting the house in order. It's normal.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep I have heard of this method. I'm not sure about taking a week off from the gym, but I have heard of zig zagging your calories (the adding 200 calorie recommendation). This 'shocks' your body a bit. After the week go back to eating your normal calorie intake and see what happens.
  • GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A plateau is your body's way of trying to hold on to what it has left. If it thinks you are consuming too much of what it has stored up for you and it also thinks that you aren't consuming enough to replenish what you've lost, it will slow your metabolism done to a crawl, hence the plateau. If you take a break from exercising for a little bit, and consume a little more calories, your body will then be tricked into thinking it is not in danger of running out of stored fuel and will kick the metabolism back on, and thus you will start losing weight again.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Everyone experiences this at some point. Focus on the overall lifestyle change with better habits and controlled nutrition and worry less about the temporary pause in progress. Think long term. It took you how long to gain the extra 120lbs? Take your time and don't get discouraged.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Ive hit a plateau after 60 lbs lost... My trainer told me to take a week off at the gym and add 200cal to my diet. Anyone heard or tried this method?? I still have another 60lbs to lose....HELP

I just hit a month-long, no-loss-in-inches-or-pounds, plateau that I was able to break by going into maintenance for a week. I lost 1.3 pounds pretty much overnight with that method. I also took a couple of days off exercise and a week off running. I started 30 Day Shred for a second time on the third day, still eating maintenance and not eating back the exercise calories. Then bumped back down to a -250 deficit and have been eating back about half of my exercise calories. Another .2 this morning (a week later) so it seems to be working.

I would try it. The worst that could happen is that you don't lose any weight. You're already plateaued, so it's not like you haven't been experiencing it already. :)
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I had to do this recently for the same reason. Read about set point weight theory if you want to know more. I bumped calories, took some time off, and then came back with new exercises and more intensity and have dropped another 10 pounds since.

Here is some set point reading:

http://weightloss.about.com/od/glossary/g/setpoint.htm

And what I suspect will be a failed active link to that same article

<a href="http://weightloss.about.com/od/glossary/g/setpoint.htm">HTML in MFP answer test</a>
  • jonesz922
    jonesz922 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A plateau is your body's way of trying to hold on to what it has left. If it thinks you are consuming too much of what it has stored up for you and it also thinks that you aren't consuming enough to replenish what you've lost, it will slow your metabolism done to a crawl, hence the plateau. If you take a break from exercising for a little bit, and consume a little more calories, your body will then be tricked into thinking it is not in danger of running out of stored fuel and will kick the metabolism back on, and thus you will start losing weight again.

Thank you!
    I am guilty of sticking to SAME routine food & exercise wise... GREAT ADVICE :flowerforyou:
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!!! Its just so frustrating, but I feel a little better... :-)
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same plateau after 50lbs lost. I was told to try the same thing, so that's what I'm doing right now. I hope for both of us, that it works!
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Your trainer is saying you've done a great job take a rest and we'll go from there. Sometimes we hit a certain weight and our body is saying oh hold on let me get comfortable (if that is the right word). It may be your set point but you are not done yet. Listen to your coach, it will start coming off again. :)
  • claudializ
    Options
    Your trainer is absolutely right. After months of the same eating habits and working out, your body does need to be shocked to get those pounds off. Same thing happened to me. I was eating way too many carbs and too little fat (good fats). I added more healthy protein (lean canadian bacon, whole eggs, whole milk, cheeses for calcium, steak, avocados) and limited my carb intake to green veggies like salads with ranch dressing, sautéed zucchini & green chard, fresh green beans (also onions, tomato, mushroom, bell peppers, salsa) but NO fruit bc they have way too many carbs. And totally cut out the high carb starches like bread, pasta (not even whole wheat), potato, tortillas, NO sugary drinks including diet stuff. Can u believe after 3 days of doing this, I woke up on day 4 and lost 4 lbs??!! This is without even working out! I'd been at the same weight for 6 long months eating healthy & exercising. Guess my body needed some shocking, and a delicious shock it was. I'm so happy I got to enjoy some yummy food AND lost the lbs. Gonna stick to my 35 carb daily limit for 2 wks then up my carb intake to 50 a day until I get the lbs I want off. I am taking supplements religiously. Try it, it works!
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    Options
    Thanks Lady!!
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    Options
    Thanks Lady!!
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    Options
    I recently hit a plateau and couldn't get past it. Then I got sick. So I just didn't have the energy to workout at all! But I did still track my calories. I made sure I never went over (okay, once) and the week i was sick I lost 3 pounds. give it a shot

Well it hasnt been quite a week but I weighed myself and I have lost 3lbs... yay