Constant Charley horses!

Options
I've been getting Charley horses bad for the last 6 months or so (same time around beginning to exercise more), so I looked up on the internet trying to figure out why I keep getting charley horses in my feet and calves It sounds circulatory to me after narrowing it down, yet maybe even hormonal. I'm not quite sure why there would be something wrong with my circulatory system or hormones though...

Any thoughts? Anyone else get these a lot too? If it was circulatory or hormnal, what helped?

Thank you!!!!!!

Replies

• cmego11
    cmego11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a charley horse can be a sign that your body doesn't have enough water so drink plenty after you exercise as well as throughout the day :o)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. The VAST majority of charlie horses are caused by dehydration.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    yes add more water and make sure you get in potassium... :smile:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    a charley horse can be a sign that your body doesn't have enough water so drink plenty after you exercise as well as throughout the day :o)

I did read that. I drink LOTS of water daily though. I'm a fish! :wink:
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Your physician can prescribe you potassium or you can get it OTC. Or try to find foods that contain a great deal of potassium.
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've heard slow release magnesium can help as well.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I've read all about the vitamins and water and ruled out everything except the circulatory or hormonal. That is what I'm not sure about.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Then I'd go to your doc and have them check you out.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    It can be electrolyte imbalance, low potassium, low calcium and even a side effect of anemia. Sleep deprivation can also make them worse.

They run in our family. The best thing that works for me is taking a potassium supplement weekly with a calcium supplement. For some reason that combo works better than anything else.

Good luck! They're not fun and I hope you get rid of them quickly.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I find it also helps to drink things like coconut water or gatorade (I prefer coconut water) and eat bananas. They help replace the potassium you lose when sweating because of the increased exertion.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options

They're right about making sure you have enough potassium... all that extra water drinking (on top of sweating through exercise) flushes out your potassium (and other needed minerals).. try also eating a banana to boost potassium...
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Then I'd go to your doc and have them check you out.

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do. :smile:
  • SunLove8
    Options
    :smile:

They're right about making sure you have enough potassium... all that extra water drinking (on top of sweating through exercise) flushes out your potassium (and other needed minerals).. try also eating a banana to boost potassium...

I get lots of potassium. Really. I take those supplements that were listed online and I drink V8 low sodium on most days as well. Thank you for your advice
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Thank you everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Potatoes actually have more potassium than a banana. I don't like bananas, so I eat potatoes.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Your physician can prescribe you potassium or you can get it OTC. Or try to find foods that contain a great deal of potassium.
    Gatorade and bananas.

And potatoes.