If I don't get skinny they're gonna cut me!

Options
Ok, so it's not that bad, but I thought that sounded funny.

I just had back surgery about a month ago as a result of a car accident. I had a lumbar lamenectomy and a discectomy on l4/l5 double major herniations. They were aggravated by the accident, but initially injured when I was in the Army.

**EDIT**I'm completely fixed now except for the bulging disk, which doesn't limit me at all, I see a lot of folks concerned about my back injury, which I appreciate, but it's completely repaired. I feel AMAZING!**EDIT**

Doc basically told me, I need to lose weight because if I blow out the disc above it (which is bulging already), I'm gonna get fused... and I like my ribs!

I'm a 33 yr old male from Jacksonville, FL. I work in an office all day sitting on my *kitten* giving financial advice. Divorced, no kids, small herd of animals, gamer, and geek.

Looking into various work out options. I've heard crazy stuff about Crossfit from a co-worker, I'm not sure if my back can handle it right away. I may want to lose some weight before I jump on that psycho boat. I was also debating Yoga for a few months to strengthen the core first. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Yoga and cardio would be a nice way to start. As you strengthen the muscles in your core you'll get stronger and then can add some weights etc. Pilates might be a nice option as well.....
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    Yoga would be great I would think. Aslo, swimming or water walking
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I strongly encourage you to speak to a personal trainer. I have three herniated discs so I don't do anything that requires me to get on the floor or stress that part of my back. But the trainer definitely compensates with other cardio and strength exercises.

Good luck!
  • Sergio1970
    Options
    Because of your injury I would suggest what ever work out you do that you consult your doctor about it first, Also take it slow, no need to go all wild man right out of the gate. Maybe some light weights, some cardio, and get up from your desk once and a while and walk around, use stairs rather then elevator.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to get injured in Crossfit, esp. if you're just beginning. I wouldn't recommend it. Try lots of walking/slow jogging at first, also Spin classes are awesome for shedding weight.
  • gannwilky
    gannwilky Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Both my Dad and a family friend named Wayne lost huge amounts of weight following the Atkins and South Beach diet plans. Just a suggestion, but talk to a nutritionist about it to see if either would be for you.
  • jame_104
    jame_104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Back issues are hard. Alot of the exercise programs aggravate it and make you have to take time off and start all over. I have done it several times. This time around I just focused on cardio. Wanted to get the heart healthy and have the added bonus of weight loss. Started with walking, moved on to the elliptical and eventually running with the C25K program. Now the back and knee pain isn't an issue I am able to lift and do other programs.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Looking into various work out options. I've heard crazy stuff about Crossfit from a co-worker, I'm not sure if my back can handle it right away. I may want to lose some weight before I jump on that psycho boat. I was also debating Yoga for a few months to strengthen the core first. Any suggestions?

any CrossFit box worth the money they charge should be able to work with you and your back problems. CrossFit isn't only for people who are fit; CrossFit is for people who want to get fit. There are people at my box who are in their 60s. There are people with bad knees, bad shoulders, bad backs, heck there's even a girl who only has one arm. (These aren't CrossFit injuries, but mostly injuries from doing other workouts that weren't good for them.) The trainers have modifications and alternatives for everyone and are willing to work with people at every fitness level.

When I started, I had never, ever worked out in my life. Yes, it was hard. Yes, I couldn't always finish the workout. Yes, I heavily modified. Did it matter? Not one bit. I'm in so much better shape -- all over. I'm able to do stuff I never would have even though possible.

I strongly suggest going to your local CrossFit affiliate and talking to them about your concerns and limitations. Try it. You might just fall in love with it. (I know I have.)
  • mmuzzy1068
    Options
    Hi, I also have herniated/bulging disks at L4 and L5, when my chiro saw my MRI he said I should not be walking....luckily therapy and knowing my limits has helped and no surgery needed. My best advice is to make sure you get up a lot when working, staying stagnent makes me hurt and I am sure you probably feel the same. When working out, again, know your limits, start slow. Careful with abs as you can aggravate your back on some moves. I currently go on my treadmill and walk/run for 5 miles (training for a race on Thanksgiving Day). I also do this outside, but if I feel pain, I skip a day or do weights or just resistance training so I can get something in and feel good. Crossfit is awesome, but you may not be ready for that yet. Give yourself some time, go slow and all should be fine. Hope this helps.
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1sto of all.. go see a Chiropractor.... My husband and his father fell off of a 2 story house while roofing when DH was 16. Both are able to keep the mobility of their arms because they sought help from a Chiropractor.

Recently DH began to develop carpel tunnel from work. Our chiropractor was able to save us about 3 grand in surgery..

Chiropractors can solve a lot of problems.

Ok.. Chiro rant over..

Anywho.. I too would also ask your doctor before you start any exercise.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. Yeah, crossfit looks like it could kill someone. Not sure if I'll jump right into that.

Yeah, after the surgery I'm 100% better than I was before the surgery. Before I used to not be able to walk around the grocery store to get food. Last Friday I walked all around Universal Studios to do their Halloween Horror Nights, and my back was perfect, but boy were the dogs barkin.

I'm definitely considering yoga. I did it before and wasn't able to do many of the poses because of my back. Now with crossfit I was going to go in and talk to the folks at the crossfit location and see what they can do for me.

I've also done south beach before with an ex-wife, I lost about 30 pounds in the first month. Not going that extreme, but I'm keeping my calories pretty much under my required amount. So here's hoping my body starts using this fat for something other than keeping me warm in the near future.

Also, I see a lot of ppl who are looking for friends or motivation, I'll happily make fun of myself should it help you with your weightloss goals, or even just bull**** with you about how much you want a whole pizza, but like me you are eating a lettuce sandwich on lettuce bread (jimmy john's veggie unwich, really good actually).
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ok, so it's not that bad, but I thought that sounded funny.

I just had back surgery about a month ago as a result of a car accident. I had a lumbar lamenectomy and a discectomy on l4/l5 double major herniations. They were aggravated by the accident, but initially injured when I was in the Army.

Doc basically told me, I need to lose weight because if I blow out the disc above it (which is bulging already), I'm gonna get fused... and I like my ribs!

I'm a 33 yr old male from Jacksonville, FL. I work in an office all day sitting on my *kitten* giving financial advice. Divorced, no kids, small herd of animals, gamer, and geek.

First of all, you need professional advice so I would take whatever you read here with a grain of salt, including my post if you want.

I had a laminectomy and microdiscectomy on L4/L5 in 2005 at the age of 23. My doctor also told me to lose weight or I would be a candidate for a fusion within 5/10 years. My weight has fluctuated over the past 6 years, but I do feel much better when I'm carrying less weight. You probably will too.

With that being said, your biggest priorities right now should be strengthening your core, improving flexibility, and losing weight. You're a beginner and more prone to injury, so throw out programs like Crossfit, P90X, Insanity, etc. Don't do exercises that move your joints in ways that they aren't meant to move ( yoga). I know that a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I find it to be true. It doesn't mean you can't get into it eventually, but I'd start with the basics.

Remember that certain joints in your body are meant for certain things. Ankles for mobility; knees for stability; hips for mobility; lower back for stability; thoracic for mobility, etc. If you're using your lower back for mobility, then you're going to get hurt. The key here is to have a professional tell you what you need to work on.

Do some research and look for a really good physical therapist in your area. Do an assessment and find out if you need to work on your hamstrings, hips, thoracic or all three. All 3 of mine get really tight if I don't stretch at least every other day. If they get tight I use my lower back and get injured. Work on stretching and flexibility at home. Keep a careful eye on your diet. And add some cardio in as you see fit. When you're ready to strength train I would look into a highly recommended personal trainer from the physical therapy office. It will be an investment in yourself, but you will feel so much better in the end.

Good luck! If I can be of any help then please add me as a friend.