Need restoration in kindness

Options
SableRose31
SableRose31 Posts: 4 Member
Okay so first let me say until middle of last year I spent 2 1/2 years as a shut in. I was in an abusive relationship and when I got out I went into a deep depression. In my depression I completely gave up and allowed myself to just keep gaining weight until I am now morbidly obese. Finally about middle of last year anxiety super kicked in that if I didn’t make some major changes I was going to pass the point if return. So I started going to doctors having myself checked out and was diagnosed with a few things that i can make better if i try. So 2 months ago i quit smoking. I smoked for 33 years so I must say I didn’t really think I could do it but I did. So now I am working on weight. Week before last I started walking around the block in my neighborhood. Started out one block a day now I can go around it 6 times. I have to stop a minute to rest after 2 rounds then go around 2 more and so on ect ect. So here is where I am struggling to find a little kindness and humanity. Yesterday as i was walking with my little dog we were attacked by a big dog, looked like a German shepherd type dog. I saw the dog coming for us so i scooped my little dog up and not knowing what to do ran to the nearest house to us. The big dog is jumping on me trying to get my little dog as im getting to the door and bang on it panicking. A man, ( not to offend or upset anyone but) a MAN, pretty big biker looking man opens the door and i say can you please help us this dog is trying to get us. Now this dog is jumping at my back and in hindsight he’s after my dog more than me but I'm scared so I’m freaking out. My COPD has kicked in and I'm a fat lady who can’t breathe well once I'm panicked. This man says just walk faster with your dog. Im flabbergasted but to terrified to move cause this dog is circling me jumping trying to get at my dog while i’m trying to turn and keep him off us. He finally comes outside while his wife stands in the door and watches as my little dog (who has basically been my only friend for over 2 years now) falls from my arms and this big dog attacks before I can blink it seems. I start gasping what screams will come out in my asthma attack panic No No No and fight this big dog as everyone else just watches. Finally I fall over the big dog and he lets go of my dogs throat and his owner comes up and the man say’s your dog attacked this lady and her dog. So he starts kicking his dog and drags it home. Never asks if me and my dog are okay or anything. The peoples house i ran to never say are you okay should we call someone NOTHING! They go in their house and Im left in the ground crying holding my dog till I can calm down enough to call my son to come get us. I am SO DISAPPOINTED with people. Has the world got so bad that we can’t show other people any kindness anymore. Had this man invited me in, the dog would have gone away in a minute and none of this would have been so bad. I know that we are all so jaded these days we dont want strangers in our homes but when someone is in danger we could make small exceptions. Or even just have gotten a stick and try to run the dog off. Turns out the dog was from across the street from his house so im sure he must have recognized it. He could have run to get it’s owner. Him and his wife seemed so offended that i knocked on their door. I know the world is changing and people have changed but man i would never turn someone away that was in danger or hurt. I feel so discouraged right now. Someone please tell me there are still some good kind people left in this world.

Replies

• PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options
    First, Congrats on making changes to help yourself feel and get healthy. 2nd, it's disappointing that these people offered no help in any form. There will always be a range of people kind, rude, helpful, inconsiderate and so on, with their own set of struggles and experiences that impact the way they respond in situations. Don't let this derail you. Or discourage you. Let it be a guide of how you would like to treat others, including yourself.
  • SableRose31
    SableRose31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, i was just so sad and upset with it all and typing it out gave me some insight and helped me to feel better. Your words are appreciated and inspiring!