Stuck in my head

Options
Hi guys.. 5ft 6 150ibs male 20% body fat (apprently) bmi is 24.1

I've watched so much YouTube its messed with my head, dont know which way to turn

Do I need to lose bodyfat? do I not?
I got quite a small frame so I have small calves and small wrists

I train alot in calisthenics aswell as I work in manual labour so I do lift concrete etc etc..

I train 3 times a week full body, takes around 40mins and then I do lift some weights like isolation stuff for arms.

Don't see anything really changing in myself.

I was eating 6/7 times a day, gone to 3 meals. Used to spend so much time in the kitchen driving me insane..

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Hi guys.. 5ft 6 150ibs male 20% body fat (apprently) bmi is 24.1

I've watched so much YouTube its messed with my head, dont know which way to turn

Do I need to lose bodyfat? do I not?
    I got quite a small frame so I have small calves and small wrists

I train alot in calisthenics aswell as I work in manual labour so I do lift concrete etc etc..

I train 3 times a week full body, takes around 40mins and then I do lift some weights like isolation stuff for arms.

Don't see anything really changing in myself.

I was eating 6/7 times a day, gone to 3 meals. Used to spend so much time in the kitchen driving me insane..

What are you hoping to change? You have 2 options, basically.... add to the muscle you have (ie get bigger) or show more muscle definition, getting a more "ripped" look... which involves decreasing body fat (ie getting smaller overall, but more visible muscles).
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options

[/quote]

What are you hoping to change? You have 2 options, basically.... add to the muscle you have (ie get bigger) or show more muscle definition, getting a more "ripped" look... which involves decreasing body fat (ie getting smaller overall, but more visible muscles).[/quote]

If I'm honest I don't no, I'm 41 years old, ive always been a bouncey type of guy, don't stop moving, playing sports etc etc.

Maybe lean up abit but don't want to look ill.

When you go to the gym and you have females taller than you and guys that are loaded up on juice, making you feel smaller. Gets in your head

I had a quote thrown at me the other day saying your small. Felt like calling her a fat **** 🤣
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    edited February 25
    Options

The body image expectations for men these days is stupid. My boyfriend is 5'5. Granted, I'm only 5', so he's bigger than me. But they sell you this idea that you're supposed to be 6 foot plus and jacked, I get it. At 20% body fat, if you're wanting to feel bigger, you could focus on adding muscle for the next few months, hit the weights. Lift heavy. Calisthenics really won't do much muscle wise. Then, after a few months, keep lifting, but cut calories a bit (maybe 250 fewer calories a day) until you see the muscle definition you want.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I lift some weights after my workout plan, I prefer calisthenics as its more fun. To me lifting weights is so boring,

Yeah good old socials killing us smaller men off. Messing with our brains 🤣🤣
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited February 25
    Options
    Like sollyn said, you need to decide what you want to focus on. It sounds like you're starting from a good position, not too far from whichever goal you describe. Do you want to add a few pounds of muscle? Do you want to recomp, i.e. keep around your current weight, lose a bit of fat, gain a bit of muscle? Or do you want to lose a few pounds?

Whichever you decide will impact your calorie surplus or deficit, and to a lesser extent your choice of workout.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you want to gain a few pounds of muscle without adding more fat. Does that sound right? In that case, a small calorie surplus to gain weight, just 200 per day should be plenty for you. Maybe 10% more than you're currently getting. Aim for about 140g protein daily. Hit the weights hard, I mean close to failure, progressive overload, focus on compounds before isolation, track your progress and seek to increase reps then weight, 12-15 working sets per group weekly. I would suggest extra focus on shoulder width, so do lateral raises or shoulder press every 2-3 days, while chest, back and legs you might just do twice weekly.

Also, you can't compare yourself to others, especially on YT. You don't know what they're taking now, or were taking before, they probably have better genetics, they may be putting in more effort than you're describing, they may be filming while pumped and with good lighting, etc.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Like sollyn said, you need to decide what you want to focus on. It sounds like you're starting from a good position, not too far from whichever goal you describe. Do you want to add a few pounds of muscle? Do you want to recomp, i.e. keep around your current weight, lose a bit of fat, gain a bit of muscle? Or do you want to lose a few pounds?

Whichever you decide will impact your calorie surplus or deficit, and to a lesser extent your choice of workout.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you want to gain a few pounds of muscle without adding more fat. Does that sound right? In that case, a small calorie surplus to gain weight, just 200 per day should be plenty for you. Maybe 10% more than you're currently getting. Aim for about 140g protein daily. Hit the weights hard, I mean close to failure, progressive overload, focus on compounds before isolation, track your progress and seek to increase reps then weight, 12-15 working sets per group weekly. I would suggest extra focus on shoulder width, so do lateral raises or shoulder press every 2-3 days, while chest, back and legs you might just do twice weekly.

Also, you can't compare yourself to others, especially on YT. You don't know what they're taking now, or were taking before, they probably have better genetics, they may be putting in more effort than you're describing, they may be filming while pumped and with good lighting, etc.

I think your right, maybe I am trying to put a few ibs of muscle on. I'm doing compounds but in calisthenics.

Hitting 3 times a week full body. Push ups, pull ups, abs work, lunges etc etc close to failure.

Hitting different angles on push ups and pulls ups etc. Different reps and sets Normally finish in the 40min range so maybe I spend 20mins doing shoulders or something..

Cheers for the input

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on calisthenics. I assume it will help build muscle.. up to a point. To progress beyond that point, you'll need free weights and machine.

e.g. case in point, you already train a lot that way, and you want to be bigger. That's going to require progressive overload plus fuel.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If you wish to stick with calisthenics you still need a good progressive programme to follow. Look up Mark Lauren 'You Are Your Own Gym' he put out a good book a few years ago as well as YouTube sessions. Convict Conditioning also offers good guidance.

Your results will not be as fast as a programme using weights but if your more inclined to stick with calisthenics you will get better results than switching to a barbell and then abandoning it.

A small (250g max) deficit (if you choose), good satiating nutrition, and .8 - 1g protein per lbs lean body mass would be my choice for the food side of things.

Cheers, h.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I'm no expert on calisthenics. I assume it will help build muscle.. up to a point. To progress beyond that point, you'll need free weights and machine.

e.g. case in point, you already train a lot that way, and you want to be bigger. That's going to require progressive overload plus fuel.

I do what I'm currently doing 40mins of calisthenics and then 20mins of push/pull some weights. Gives me 60mins in total then.

Cheers 👍👍
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 4
    Options
    Convict conditioning was a book I've heard about in terms of progressions and I think there is something similar in the calisthenics sub-redit too.

I'm having some trouble wrapping my brain around someone who is my height, at the lowest weight I've ever been (and only fleetingly for less than a month at that), does way more calisthenics, is in way better and stronger shape (pull ups) and lifts way more weights in the form of work (you did mention concrete bags) and yet has as high or higher of a fat percentage as I've had since I hit the normal weight range.

I.e. I am having real trouble seeing you as high as 20% body fat.

If you don't want to add body weight (and I don't know that you should want to), and if you don't want to go for compound lifting movements... have you given any thought to taking some self defence / martial arts classes?
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Convict conditioning was a book I've heard about in terms of progressions and I think there is something similar in the calisthenics sub-redit too.

I'm having some trouble wrapping my brain around someone who is my height, at the lowest weight I've ever been (and only fleetingly for less than a month at that), does way more calisthenics, is in way better and stronger shape (pull ups) and lifts way more weights in the form of work (you did mention concrete bags) and yet has as high or higher of a fat percentage as I've had since I hit the normal weight range.

I.e. I am having real trouble seeing you as high as 20% body fat.

If you don't want to add body weight (and I don't know that you should want to), and if you don't want to go for compound lifting movements... have you given any thought to taking some self defence / martial arts classes?

Hi mate, took me a while to understand your message.

Yeah so turns out I'm 20% body fat with bmi of 23. Something now. I played football once a week (gave it up) badminton once a week, gym 3 times a week, manual work 6 days a week now..10stone 10.

Maybe it's my diet ( even know, i know its good) or not pushing myself to grow muscle.

Also Don't know cos I'm used to hard manual work and when I'm at the gym I don't feel that I've worked out so I'm going home like normal..

I will be lifting weights after my plan mate

• chuggwaz
    chuggwaz Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 25
    Options
    Hey friend, sounds like you need to try something new. I am 6’2” and average around 75-76kg lean, always been a runner and wanted to add muscle but never could. Even doing gym and weights and eating like a horse. Finally around age mid-30s could put on some weight but never definition like I wanted. Until I started doing body-pump classes. 3 times a week, 45min-1hour class and for the first time in my life got the fish tail triceps, nice ripped shoulder definition and 6-pack abs. I really recommend it because I had tried everything. I don’t do protein shakes or specific diet. Still do cardio running and swimming in between times and use MFP app when I find my waistline getting a bit jelly-belly. I’m 54 this year and tbh never felt better. BTW my profile photo was during Covid lockdown and just before my 50th birthday, fyi I was 74.2Kg due to a lot of cycling which was allowed here in UK lockdown, but I pretty much owe my shape to body pump.