Shin splints - push through or rest?

Options
I started running within the last month or so. Usually only 3-4 days/wk, 3 miles per day.

I've started to get shin splints and wondering if I should just push through the pain or take a longer break than just 1 or 2 days. I feel like I can push through the pain if the general consensus is "it won't harm you" but want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for injury/ if shin splints are a canary.

Answers

• foldinthecheese
    foldinthecheese Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I'll take a break. It feels like a bummer since I started to get into a nice routine of adding that to my workout regimen after lifting.

For the shoes, yes I've gone to several places. I played sports in hs and college and one of the college trainers had a side business of fitting people for the right shoes (all kinds and purposes). He had a whole fancy setup of cameras and what-not. (He also taught running form). Unfortunately I don't have access to him anymore.

I'm running with zero drop shoes (I've been wearing them for probably 10 years - helped a ton with both PF and ITBS, so I'm hesitant to go back to support shoes). Plus, at the time I transitioned I was running 60ish miles/week and didn't like the idea of having to buy new shoes every 3-4 weeks.

I think I'll try to rest a couple weeks then give it another go, and if it comes back maybe try to find someone to take a look at my form. Hopefully by that time I'll be a tiny bit lighter too so maybe that will help :wink: (last part is a joke, I don't think 4-5 lbs will make much of a difference at my weight).
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited February 18
    Options
    See how you go with rest. I tried full rest with a heel issue and found it still wasn't fully healing after two months. What worked for me was very light (low mileage) running - something about blood circulation improving healing - and increasing mileage very slowly (and only running once every two days, no more). The key for me was to scale back at the slightest sign of it getting worse. Currently still working on increasing my mileage (gradually!) But the heel pain has gone completely now.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Rest then get a tib bar for unilateral work. You need to strengthen the anterior tibialis.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I tried working out through shin splints. You know what happened? They got much much worse.
  • foldinthecheese
    foldinthecheese Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Rest then get a tib bar for unilateral work. You need to strengthen the anterior tibialis.

Thanks, I'm getting close to the end of my rest (well, halfway, but it will go by quick I'm hoping) and just ordered one of these. Are you recommending I do this before I start running again, or in conjunction with running?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Don't know anything about the tib bar, but when I was in high school track suffering shin splints, my coach had me do two things:

Change my shoes from my day-to-day sneakers to actual running shoes, and...
    Walk (not run) through the pain.

Ice bath for my lower legs helps a TON with the pain, as does getting enough potassium (hello, bananas!). Some exercises can also help, specifically walking backwards (make sure to place toes first, then roll onto heel), and walking forwards but with toes raised off the grounds and all the weight on your heels.

Following this regimen took me from shin splint pain so bad I couldn't walk the entire day, to earning my letterman's jacket in running. Took a couple (2-4) weeks, but it worked for me.
  • stankyou
    stankyou Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don’t run through pain. Invest in better shoes and think about switching to a treadmill for conditioning.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Thanks, I'm getting close to the end of my rest (well, halfway, but it will go by quick I'm hoping) and just ordered one of these. Are you recommending I do this before I start running again, or in conjunction with running?
    rest and use the tib bar for 2 weeks every day. If in 2 weeks your pain is gone then resume short runs slowly building the distance.

The tib bar will be an ongoing exercise. I keep mine next to my recliner and do it at night watching tv.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    shoes matter. Especially if you're NOT the same weight you were when you ran before.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png