Is this enough to loose weight????

Options
So this is my very FIRST board to ever post :). I am in need of some advice, suggestions. I have been going to the gym for the last 2 weeks and a half M-F 40-45 minutes. My work out is 30 minutes on the elliptical, 10-15 minutes working out with weights to work my upper body burning anywhere from 460-485 calories during the 45 min workout. I stay under 1300 calories a day and drink 8 glasses of water a day as well.

My questions is.....Will this help me loose weight????? I really need someone who has lost a lot of weight to re-assure me. i am desperate to loose weight. I have lost about 4 lbs doing this with in the last 2-3 weeks. So i guess it is working but I would like to see at least 2 lbs a week if not more.

I am sore and work my *kitten* off at the gym while I am there.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How much do you need to lose? It it's not a lot, you are probably eating too little to lose weight effectively. You should be eating 1200 calories per day, after exercise. Right now, you're getting 1300 - 460 = 840 calories net, which is too little.
  • deepbluesea
    Options
    i agree with the previous response. less that 1200 net calories a day can be counterproductive.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    When you say eat under 1300. I hope that is a net of 1300. Otherwise you may need to eat more. It sounds counterintuitive but, it's true.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree. I usually go for the ten calories per pound of your goal weight. I am at 1350 a day, and I add back some of the cals I burn unless it's a really high burn. Sounds like you're not getting quite enough. Drink some milk or something with good nutritional value to help fill in the gap. :)
  • IrisGarcia86
    IrisGarcia86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No this is with the gym calories eaten back. My goal for the day is 1250 but then i do eat back the calories i burned at the gym.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How much do you need to lose? It it's not a lot, you are probably eating too little to lose weight effectively. You should be eating 1200 calories per day, after exercise. Right now, you're getting 1300 - 460 = 840 calories net, which is too little.

I agree, you may be eating too few calories to effectively lose weight. Also, depending on how much you weigh it may not be a good idea to try and lose 2lbs a week.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If the question is still, "Is this enough to lose weight????" then yes, it is.

If you do your cardio and some light lifting 5 days a week and you are on a reduced calorie diet, you will lose weight. It is an awesome start and you should be proud of yourself for being so consistent for 2.5 weeks. Don't let anything derail you and don't get discouraged if you don't see drastic drops at first. Our bodies can be our biggest adversaries in this journey and your question is a good one. Keep looking for answers and stay consistent. This will be a learning process. You might get frustrated at points, just shift gears and keep on moving. Congrats.

PS...too little calories will potentially make you ill or destroy your ability to get in a good workout. Keep that in mind.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    No this is with the gym calories eaten back. My goal for the day is 1250 but then i do eat back the calories i burned at the gym.
    If you're eating back your exercise calories then what you're doing sounds like a great routine. Keep up the excellent work! You may find, as time goes on, that you stop losing weight. At that point, it'll be time to up your exertion level or at least change up your normal routine. Our bodies get used to the level of effort we expend so we need to switch things up to keep it guessing.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here want's to lose as much as possible as fast as possible. Whatever you do have to be able to maintain. Every time I've lost weight fast I've gained it back plus more. It has to be a lifestyle not a diet. If you just started on weights you've probably been gaining muscle and blasting away fat. That would explain the slow wieght loss in the beginning. I like to break up my weight routine and do upper one day, core the next and then lower body. I can focus on that muscle group without spending all day at the gym and I'm not sore everywhere. Don't get frustrated if you miss a day at the gym. Just keep logging in and make healthy food choices. :smile:
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My weight loss stalled for 4 months awhile ago, and I had to increase to 1800-2000 NET calories in order to start losing again. It made me mad to think that I could've been eating more than whole time and continue losing weight! My plateau didn't happen until I got to 20 pounds from my goal. I'm not saying this will happen for everyone, but it's something to keep in mind as you get closer to your goal.

Good luck, and keep up the great work! :)
  • IrisGarcia86
    IrisGarcia86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. I did end up going to the gym again today and I lost over a 1 pound since my last weight-in which was only a couple of days ago....I AM SOOO PUMPED!!!! :) I am happy to be loosing weight ...any change is better than NO change right??? :)