Surgery on ankle- excercise ideas?

Options
My daughter is a dancer and has to have ankle surgery this week. We are looking for ideas of excercises she can still do to stay in shape. Thanks!

Replies

• fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    There are lots of chair exercises on YouTube. I did those when I was recovering from surgery.
  • RedSydney
    RedSydney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on both feet ~6 yrs ago. I spent a lot of time in bed, on the couch etc. I was still able to do most stretches, sit ups, leg lifts (be careful of the extra weight if there is a cast) and other things. Think floor work, though she will need help getting up and down.

Once she is able to put weight on the foot she can move to a chair fitness routine, including standing and balancing. And then if her energy is good, walking to get that ankle used to activity.
  • foldinthecheese
    foldinthecheese Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The only correct answer is to ask the doctor. "Ankle surgery" could mean a lot of different things, and even if someone else here had "ankle surgery" and their doctor or physical therapist said "do x, y, z" that does not mean it's the right approach for your daughter.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When I had leg injuries, I used a good quality pedaler to pedal with my arms. It worked pretty well.