Wondering

Options
jadu1536
jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
I found myself wondering today - why do we have items such as crumbl cookies available to people when they contain up to 900-1000 calories in one cookie? It's just so unnecessary! Couldn't they make smaller cookies of 100 calories each? It's in a way, setting people up for failure.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Maybe the op is equating how much exercise one would need to do to burn off said cookies. :)

But, yeah, I love cookies except they don't love me anymore. Cookies are delicious but no one's holding a gun to people's heads to buy sizes they can't afford to eat.

Or any food for that matter.

I mean, did anyone smack me upside the head because I found a cheap, lower carb peanut butter that you didn't have to reconstitute because I know I can't safely have nut butters around? Nope! Me and that half jar I polished off in 3 days without logging are all on me, bayyyyyybe.

(I've seen the crumbl cookies and agree they could make minier versions of their mini cookies. 240 cals for a mini???? I just can't get behind blaming any company for being responsible for what people do and don't eat.)
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    The US ranks right near the top of the most obese countries in the world. Average restaurant meals are 4 times larger than they were in the 1950's. 96% of entrees at chains exceed dietary guidelines for sodium, fat, and saturated fat per meal. Between 1986 and 2016 fast food restaurants increased serving sizes by 226%. We are what we eat. This is why we do 99.9% of our cooking and eating at home.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP.
    It used to be such a treat to go to the fair or Disneyland and see a giant cookie or cinnamon roll. Now it's just another day in the neighborhood. They've robbed us of that feeling of awe. I want it back!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    BTW, 900 calorie cookie is now chump-level commercial over-indulgence. Subway now offers a foot-long cookie that is 1440 calories.

How do I know this? The calories were on the giant poster of the footlong cookie (and churro, and pretzel) when I was last at Subway buying a salad (that you have to search fine print on menu boards even to find exists). Maybe you wouldn't think a salad with pickles would be good, but it is. ;) Salad is around 170 calories, and that's a big bowl with both cheese and avocado. Skip those add-ons (upcharges both), it's more like 50.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    I found myself wondering today - why do we have items such as crumbl cookies available to people when they contain up to 900-1000 calories in one cookie? It's just so unnecessary! Couldn't they make smaller cookies of 100 calories each? It's in a way, setting people up for failure.

I’ve never heard of crumbl cookies… so I looked them up.

The jumbo cookies are supposed to be 4 servings — Up to each individual if they want to eat the whole thing.

I don’t see this any differently from exercising portion control with any food.

When you get a pint of ice cream, do you eat a portion or the whole thing?

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    No one also says you have to eat the big cookie all at once. My office sent a 6 pack of Crumbl cookies after my surgery. I cut them up, stored them in Tupperware and enjoyed them for a couple of weeks. I think eating a whole one all at once would have made me ill.

And now I can’t stop thinking about the Crumbl right by my dog’s day camp….
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,926 Member
    edited March 3
    Options

The jumbo cookies are supposed to be 4 servings — Up to each individual if they want to eat the whole thing.

I never heard of them either.

Your comment made me think of an incident at a family vacation a few years ago. We all went out to eat together. No dessert on the menu, but at the register they had big brownies that they served on a napkin. I bought one and asked them to cut it in fourths. I then shared it with 3 others my age. My niece bought one and asked them to cut it in half. She shared. Cousin's grandkids each bought one for themselves. Lol.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    edited March 4
    Options

Everyone knows a pint of ice cream is one serving! :)

And I would absolutely eat that whole cookie.

They just put a store in my general area but I won't go in. :)

I totally give them props for having the nutritional info online tho.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,349 Member
    Options

Same. I have never heard of Crumbl before either. And if I wasn’t gluten intolerant I’d probably try 1/4 of one.

That said?
    Yeah. If I buy a pint of ice cream, I’m very likely to eat the whole thing in one sitting.

I don’t do it often. Usually when I’ve had an especially (redacted) day.
    And then I log it and move on.
    😇

We all make the choices we make. Some days are better than others. As long as we have the nutritional facts, and are able to make good choices the majority of the time?
    I’m OK with that.

Also. Crumbl exists because capitalism. And people like to eat sweet things.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

There have been efforts in some areas to outlaw stupid large sizes of soda, In virtually all these cases there was a public outcry demanding keeping the stupid large sizes.

People need to be their own advocates. Saying "they" are setting up people for failure is a copout IMO.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    "They" aren't setting anyone up for failure, no one is making them eat the cookie.

It is our individual choice what to buy and what to eat, I get them from time to time. Sometimes I eat the whole cookie in a sitting, sometimes I split it up and enjoy it over a few days.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I won't go to Crumbl because of their ridiculous ordering process in the stores. You have to order and pay for your cookie at a kiosk, and then they bring the cookie out. I mean....it's a cookie, do I really have to go through some multi-step process? There is always a long line, mostly because people are trying to figure out how to use the kiosks.