What is going on with the MFP calorie burn estimates?

Options
Is anyone else getting outrageous outputs for calories burned when entering exercise information? Since MFP no longer downloads my exercise data from Fitbit, I have to manually enter exercise, but it keeps trying to tell me that I burned over 3000 calories just by walking 30 minutes, which is ridiculous.

Answers

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,326 Member
    Options
    Just overwrite the calorie burn number with your fitbit estimate. MFP has always seemed to be on the high side, but not that far out of the ball park. Good Luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    edited March 1
    Options
    Good advice above. Also, double check your current body weight entry in MFP, just to be sure it's accurate/close. A typo there could have that effect on exercise calorie estimates.

If you need a source for walking/running calorie estimates, this is one you could consider:

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Be sure to set the energy box to "net".

MFP's still giving me plausible estimates, so I don't think there's a general bug.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    It seems to be working okay for me. A bit high, because the MFP estimate includes base calories burned during the time spent walking, as well as exercise calories, but nothing unusual.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else getting outrageous outputs for calories burned when entering exercise information? Since MFP no longer downloads my exercise data from Fitbit, I have to manually enter exercise, but it keeps trying to tell me that I burned over 3000 calories just by walking 30 minutes, which is ridiculous.

Are you sure you're personal stats are correct? Specifically your current weight. A missing decimal point would make a big difference.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2
    Options
    If I go to an indoor spin class… with my weight and correct stats plugged into MFP… I get a current calorie burn estimate of 600.

According to my Apple Watch,( the same class and similar exertion) - it’s 325 and chest strap heart rate monitor it’s 360.
    🤷🏼‍♀️

for the longest time I did not lose weight and finally stopped using the MFP burn estimate… then my weight started going down.

YMMV

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    it's always been high for me, but it's no higher than usual.