Looking for Chicken Recipes using Spices/Seasonings

Options
pensfan1
pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
Hello,

I'm (unfortunately) a very picky eater. I'm trying to introduce different spices into baked or grilled chicken. Anyone have any advice? I'm not a good cook, so this is new territory for me.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I always use Lemon Pepper and Garlic. Yum!
  • egoverton
    egoverton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rosemary and olive oil! and maybe a little oregano and thyme - especially if you back with the skin on and then peel the skin before eating.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Spray chicken breasts with Pam, then sprinkle with Mrs. Dash seasoning of choice, then grill. I prefer the Tomato-Basil-Garlic Mrs. Dash on my chicken.
  • egoverton
    egoverton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    or saute with olive oil and garlic. yum!
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything goes with chicken!!

Rosemary is classic with chicken. You can also try an Italian Seasoning and garlic powder. For a flavor reminiscent of Greek flavorings, go with some cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and jamaican allspice. Tarragon can be good also, as well as thyme. And then there are Indian seasonings - curries, marsalas - all yummy! All of these can be made very simply - warm some olive oil, add chicken, add seasoning, done!

My personal favorite is saffron. It's super-expensive, but super-delicious. Warm olive oil, add chicken that has been cut into cubes, while chicken is cooking add a pinch of saffron strands to 2 tbsp of water and microwave to boiling (this will release the saffron flavor and will turn the water yellow. Stir a little and let it sit this way until chicken is cooked), add a big can of diced tomatoes and saffron juice, simmer 5-10min and enjoy!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For chicken I usually season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, then add either lemon and thyme or cumin. Cumin is great on chicken. On a lazy day, I might just sprinkle on some Old Bay and call it good.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    http://chickenmarinades.net/

Great website for you!
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And believe it or not, pretty much everything you guys all mentioned is already in my pantry!! I'm so excited to try something new.
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash I love onion n herb. But also try marinating overnight in lite or low fat dressing (watch sodium) and its kinda fool proof from there... I also cook up my chicken for the week in the crop pot w low sodium chicken broth and it falls apart when i take it out!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinagrette dressing and minced garlic. marinate in that for a couple hours and then grill!

it is sooooooooooo good. you can use light dressing too.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In that case, experiment away! Sometimes I just open up the jars and add on whatever smells good to me that night! A great way to discover new flavor combinations!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I love using chili powder and lime!
  • cillytilly
    Options
    When I don't know what else to do I bake my chicken breasts with Garlic powder, onion powder, juice of half a lemon, a 1/4 cup of dry white wine and 1/2 cup water. Throw in the over at 350 for 30 to 45 min or until done.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    allspice
    baharat, arabic
    basil
    black pepper
    cayenne (sparingly)
    chili powder (really good when paired with a sprinkle of brown sugar)
    cumin
    dill
    garam masala
    garlic salt
    ginger, ground
    greek seasoning (McCormick)
    kharcho
    lemon peel
    Madras Curry Powder
    oregano
    paprika
    rosemary
    sage, rubbed
    sumac
    svaneti salt
    tarragon
    thyme
    cilantro
    chili sauce
    soy sauce
    worcestershire sauce
  • brookephoto
    Options
    I just posted a simple on on my blog at : http://cupcakecucumber.blogspot.com/

Basically just sprinkle chipotle pepper on chicken breast - I like the frozen organic ones you can get in a box at Walmart.
  • hikuinezumi
    hikuinezumi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to do a mock tikka marinade -

4 chicken breasts
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1cm fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
    1/4 tsp garam masala
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon dried coriander leaf
    1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
    1 curry leaf
    Grind all that up together, add a tablespoon of fat-free natural yoghurt (if you want, you don't have to!), mix up, coat the chicken, cover in cling film and leave for an hour or two. Bake in a medium hot oven.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Pure paprika (sweet) is my favorite for grilling. Coat them in it like you're flouring it. It should be red. Then put on the grill. Very nice. Smoked paprika is really good, too, if you're cooking it inside instead of on the grill.
  • bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kloss914
    Kloss914 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Old Bay Seasoning is the BEST !!!! There is a recipe on the bottle for a chicken marinade. Lemon, olive oil, oregano and Old bay. Grill the chicken; It's absolutely delicious. I slice it up and put it over a very green salad and don't even need any dressing because the chicken is so juicy and flavorful !!!!