Dispelling the Water Myths..

Options
So we've had countless threads to the effect of "Can I count X as water" on this board lately. Each and every time I cringe as I read answers like "Only water is water" and "Once you put something in it, it's not water", "Only if it doesn't have Caffeine in it because caffeine will dehydrate you", or the infamous "Diet Soda makes you fatter". So little actual fact is actually understood by some folks that I figured I'd try one more time to educate the good folks here on some of the facts that have been twisted into outright fallacy. I won't even get into how each of us decide to log our drinks, that's up to you. But here are some facts to consider:

Myth 1: "Your body need X cups of pure water per day".
Research on this topic is pretty straight forward. Your body does indeed need water to survive. There are varying studies on exactly how much and of course like everything, much of it depends on each person's body. The most common consensus seems to be 8 cups per day. Now, what people keep missing the boat on here is that everything you eat or drink contains water. Your body doesn't care how it gets the water it just needs water. So as it digests that pear you ate, that soda you drank or that soup you just sipped up, your body absorbs the water that is contained in those foods and drinks and uses it like it uses all water you take in. Additionally, mixing a drink mix into water does not suddenly turn the water into some other substance, it merely means it is now water that is combined with other substances. It's still water so plan accordingly.

Myth 2: "Caffeine will dehydrate you"
This is a common one that stems from some credible research. However, one must actually read the research to understand what is being said rather than follow the media's misleading conclusions that caffeine dehydrates you. The research on this topic finds that Caffeine does have diuretic properties (i.e. it makes you pee more). This is why people have latched onto it as something that will dehydrate you. HOWEVER, the research finds that it has diuretic properties ONLY when administered in doses that significantly exceed the body's current tolerance and over time the body will develop a tolerance to the increase and the diuretic properties cease (unless the dose is increased even more). It takes large concentrations of caffeine, much greater than those in a can of Mt. Dew, to see the diuretic properties of caffeine affect the body. So if you have a diet coke each day, it's not going to dehydrate you. If you only drink diet coke every day (as some people i know do), you're not going to become dehydrated, your body will make sure of that.

Myth 3: "Diet sodas make you fat"
UGH, this myth is directly a result of the media latching onto a research topic without reading the conclusions. Numerous studies have setup and followed two groups of people. One who drank only diet soda and one who didn't drink any. They found that the second group actually gained less weight than the first. However, in four separate studies I've read on this topic, the researchers all came to the same conclusion. Those drinking the diet soda tended to eat more calories in a day, likely because they knew they were drinking diet soda and felt they were then able to consume more. Add to that people's propensity to underestimate their own intake and it leads to more weight gain. Not one study I've read to date has ever concluded that some property of diet soda directly leads to you gaining weight.

So there you have it folks, I hope you find it informational. Obviously I'm not a doctor or expert, just someone who has done a lot of research on this topic and is tired of reading mis-understood regurgitations of the facts.

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I am so sick of people telling me that my protein shakes, crystal light, coffee etc. don't count as "water".
    I track them if they have calories and count them in my fluids... they should rename that silly button "fluids" instead of water!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    thanks for this! I count all fluids consumed in my water. I don't count soup though, probably because i don't like "soupy" soup. More like stew. if they have calories or sodium, i count them (like my diet pepsi).
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sure you'll get some push back from the die hard 8 glasses a day myth followers. But good info! Totally in agreement.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So we've had countless threads to the effect of "Can I count X as water" on this board lately. Each and every time I cringe as I read answers like "Only water is water" and "Once you put something in it, it's not water", "Only if it doesn't have Caffeine in it because caffeine will dehydrate you", or the infamous "Diet Soda makes you fatter". So little actual fact is actually understood by some folks that I figured I'd try one more time to educate the good folks here on some of the facts that have been twisted into outright fallacy. I won't even get into how each of us decide to log our drinks, that's up to you. But here are some facts to consider:

Myth 1: "Your body need X cups of pure water per day".
    Research on this topic is pretty straight forward. Your body does indeed need water to survive. There are varying studies on exactly how much and of course like everything, much of it depends on each person's body. The most common consensus seems to be 8 cups per day. Now, what people keep missing the boat on here is that everything you eat or drink contains water. Your body doesn't care how it gets the water it just needs water. So as it digests that pear you ate, that soda you drank or that soup you just sipped up, your body absorbs the water that is contained in those foods and drinks and uses it like it uses all water you take in. Additionally, mixing a drink mix into water does not suddenly turn the water into some other substance, it merely means it is now water that is combined with other substances. It's still water so plan accordingly.

Myth 2: "Caffeine will dehydrate you"
    This is a common one that stems from some credible research. However, one must actually read the research to understand what is being said rather than follow the media's misleading conclusions that caffeine dehydrates you. The research on this topic finds that Caffeine does have diuretic properties (i.e. it makes you pee more). This is why people have latched onto it as something that will dehydrate you. HOWEVER, the research finds that it has diuretic properties ONLY when administered in doses that significantly exceed the body's current tolerance and over time the body will develop a tolerance to the increase and the diuretic properties cease (unless the dose is increased even more). It takes large concentrations of caffeine, much greater than those in a can of Mt. Dew, to see the diuretic properties of caffeine affect the body. So if you have a diet coke each day, it's not going to dehydrate you. If you only drink diet coke every day (as some people i know do), you're not going to become dehydrated, your body will make sure of that.

Myth 3: "Diet sodas make you fat"
    UGH, this myth is directly a result of the media latching onto a research topic without reading the conclusions. Numerous studies have setup and followed two groups of people. One who drank only diet soda and one who didn't drink any. They found that the second group actually gained less weight than the first. However, in four separate studies I've read on this topic, the researchers all came to the same conclusion. Those drinking the diet soda tended to eat more calories in a day, likely because they knew they were drinking diet soda and felt they were then able to consume more. Add to that people's propensity to underestimate their own intake and it leads to more weight gain. Not one study I've read to date has ever concluded that some property of diet soda directly leads to you gaining weight.

So there you have it folks, I hope you find it informational. Obviously I'm not a doctor or expert, just someone who has done a lot of research on this topic and is tired of reading mis-understood regurgitations of the facts.

You answered the "Diet sodas make you fat" in your own freakin' explanation.

"Those drinking the diet soda tended to eat more calories in a day, likely because they knew they were drinking diet soda and felt they were then able to consume more. Add to that people's propensity to underestimate their own intake and it leads to more weight gain. "

That in turn, makes them fat.

Leave the research and opinions to people who're qualified.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • 1myfit
    Options
    Nice to know about the pop.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I think myths like this are simply generated from fear mongering by companies trying to sell a product. In this case; bottled water companies.

Really when it comes down to it, the point is how much water you bring in is in direct relationship to the nutrients your also bringing in. If you are drinking high sodium beverages or alcoholic beverages often you are actually causing water retention and or dehydration through the consumption of those compounds. You have to be careful when you make statements like that because certain drinks do in fact make you dehydrated and or cause other reactions to your system. If someone reads this and says well alcohol has water in it, that is actually counter productive to what water is suppose to do.

The problem is I do not think that people truly understand that water is in just about everything. Water composes us just as much as it composes fruits, vegetables and all other sorts of foods.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Your post makes good sense and seems perfectly valid to me. I'm not a doctor or an expert either and am just going by common sense and logic here.

As for "It's still water so plan accordingly," it's hard for people to measure how much water they're consuming in food and other drinks so it's easier to go by the "8 cups of water a day" rule to make sure that the body is getting enough of what it needs.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I am so sick of people telling me that my protein shakes, crystal light, coffee etc. don't count as "water".
    I track them if they have calories and count them in my fluids... they should rename that silly button "fluids" instead of water!

Will you have my babies? <3

Great post Inter!

My faith in forums is being restored!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I agree, although it is possible to stay hydrated from drinks other then water. I still would rather drink water for that is what my body really wants.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I agree with everything you say except the diet sodas. Research I have read says drinking diet soda that uses apartame can lead to people craving sweets more often than not. And I have experienced it myself since I stopped drinking diet coke, I don't crave sweets as often. That could be a factor as to why the diet drinkers did gain more weight than non diet drinkers. I also find after I stopped drinking diet coke those things that are sweet do not taste good to me anymore. So I'm sure there is research supporting anything you can think of but thats my experience and I thought I would share.
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just adding on to your myths-

A world leading dermatologist (Dr Howard Murad) also said on a UK TV programme yesterday that drinking lots of water (as most people bang on about) gets rid of water in the body e.g water retention etc, but can also have a negative effect on the skin causing it have less of a natural glow.

http://www.itv.com/lorraine/health/dr-howards-skin-clinic/
  • RichardWhitman
    Options
    Hey Mackeric,

Read it again. Diet soda does NOT make one gain weight. Eating additional calories does.

If someone thinks they can eat more because they drank diet soda, then that's their own fault. Not the fault of the soda.

You are equating cause and effect here. Related, but not the same.
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is great info, cause I'm a big coffee drinker and lately I've been wondering about my water intake. On days when I intensely workout, I know I get way more than 8 glasses.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I have been worrying that I am not drinking enough water...even though I keep a cup of ice water at my desk all day, I just can never remember how many times I have filled it up!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Where exactly does vodka play into this?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great info! I was pretty much along those same lines of thinking...but then I sometimes start to wonder when you hear so much in the media. It's great to have it broken down to basics! Water is water!!!
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drink A LOT of diet coke. More than most on this board and have for a long time. I have never had any trouble losing weight or exercising while drinking this amount. Diet soda has no calories and does not cause weight gain on it's own.
  • RichardWhitman
    Options
    Where exactly does vodka play into this?

Vodka is play. Who cares after that! :)