Help with calories/carbs/macros & Diebetes

Options
Vee_Latte
Vee_Latte Posts: 1 Member
edited March 4 in Health and Weight Loss
In the past year I was diagnosed with type 2 Diebetes. I am over weight by a total of probably 50-60lbs. I love my sweets. I have been better in the past year but not good enough that's forsure. I am hoping to lost 20lbs to start!
nfq2p6i7p3ta.jpg
5oq92hgwkus7.jpg

I don't drink pop or juice (sometimes a sip from my boyfriends but not often)

I don't typically eat a sugar filled breakfast (usually whole wheat toast and PB)

Salad and fruit for lunch typically.

And dinner is where is struggle the most (if I'm honestly I'm super lazy about cooking)

Among that I am also wondering if I should adjust my "MyFitnessPal" nutrition goal because of my Diebetes. The pic is what it gave me after I input my data.

Thoughts? Ideas? Good lucks haha

I'm 29, 5'6 and 210lbs (incase that helps)

Also should I adjust my macros to anything specific? Help please

Answers

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited March 4
    Options
    Separate the wheat from the chaff :wink:

Are you just trying to improve your blood sugar numbers? Do you actually want to lose and maintain a lower weight? Have you given any thought to how much of your life (way of eating, moving, entertainment) you are willing to "make-over" in a bid to attain better health?

It's not a bad time to do this. I waited 20 years more than you... and paid the price over the 20 years and will probably have some health left overs too for my remaining time around.

So you're at a great age to embark on a new path. But only if you want to.

It is not just the food. Think on the concept of "obesogenic environment".

"quick results" ? Sure. You can go "low carb"/keto and get some faster results. IF/keto are all the rage now. In the past it was low fat, or Atkins, or South Beach or Paleo to bring up some names from the archives. The question is: are you willing to roll that way long term? because every diet with a name relies one thing: a caloric deficit (deliberate imbalance so you tap your existing energy stores)

Please take the opportunity to explore. I won't make it a big secret. The more whole foods you eat. Veggies. Fruits. Even Legumes and Grains which I don't do as much myself. But the more NOT ultra-processed and "super customized to appeal" foods that you consume the more full you will feel with less calories. Doesn't mean that you can never fall for the appeal. But if you keep falling for the appealing most of the time I am willing to bet it won't work out great.

What do you think is more filling while you ear it? Three hours later? 298g of boiled potatoes with 5g of salted butter; or 50g of potato chips (crisps)? What if you substitute the 5g of salted butter with 61g of 0% plain greek yogurt?

They have the exact same amount of Calories.
    You can see that when you log the ingredients.
    And a 50g bag of potato chips is far from the largest one on the shelf.
    Let's see you arm wrestle 900g of potatoes vs a 150g bag of chips.

THAT is what you can learn from logging. If you log carefully and review your logs.

And do use a scale to measure your peanut butter. I like peanut butter. I eat peanut butter. Not every day but often enough. Because I like it and the trade off is worth it to me.

But for the calories I can think of a lot more filling things than peanut butter. If you're not vegan, check out how many calories eggs or eggs enhanced with an equal amount of egg white have. And the protein they bring to the table.

Log. Adapt. Lose weight. Become more active. Profit. Best of luck! :wink:

And forget about un-logged sips from other people! You have a budget. Use it wisely and for conscious/deliberate fun!
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As PAV said above, this is a good time to get that weight off. You are young! Don't wait till you're in your 40's or 50's. The older you get, the harder it is to lose. Good luck on the weight loss and good luck with the diabetes! I am also diabetic (type 2, diagnosed after 6 months of chemo in 2011). Most days I do fine, but I do have slip ups. BUT tomorrow is another day, and I don't beat myself up about it.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,993 Member
    Options
    What did you list as your activity level?
    Are you trying to lose weight?
    Have you logged for a day yet?
    You may not be eating sugar, but bread is carbs, some peanut butter has added sugar. Salad may or may not have sugar in the dressing, and there's sugar in fruit.
    You may be surprised when you start logging.
    But all those things are easy to tweak.
    For supper, may I make a suggestion?
    Sheet pan dinners are easy. Google it. Try different veggies to find your favorites.
    My laziest is chicken drumsticks with potatoes and zucchini.
    Best of luck. The first step is often the hardest, and you're already doing it!