What is the latest time of the day you consume caffeine?

Options
dr4712
dr4712 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 4 in Health and Weight Loss
This is to get an idea what people are doing with the most popular stimulant throughout their days.

What is the latest time of the day you consume caffeine? 28 votes

After 10am
10% 3 votes
After noon
17% 5 votes
After 2pm
25% 7 votes
After 4pm
17% 5 votes
After 6pm
7% 2 votes
I’m limitless!
21% 6 votes

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    It depends. Normally I try to avoid any caffeine after about 2 pm, but if we go out to dinner and I'm not drinking beer, I can usually drink a diet coke without too much of a problem. Some days, OTOH, it will keep me awake, so normally I avoid it. My parents could drink coffee at bedtime and go right to sleep, but that hasn't worked for me since college.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,620 Member
    edited March 4
    Options
    The half-life of caffeine can be anywhere from three to seven hours. So, if you drink 200 mg of caffeine, you'd still have 100 mg in your system about five hours later, and 50 mg about 10 hours later.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Where is never as an option?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Wondering who is asking and why? @dr4712
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    edited March 5
    Options
    One large coffee in the morning by 10am ish. If I have some later in the day my sleep will suffer!

:(
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    one and a half cups of coffee in the morning, cup of tea around 3. Any later will mess with my sleep
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    I mostly don't care. At times, I've drunk a giant latte and gone right home only to fall asleep. (Maybe the milk makes a contribution? Dunno.) If I want coffee with dessert at a restaurant dinner, I order it. Probably my sleep quality is worse, but in my case not hugely so. Usually I stop earlier in the day than that, but most often don't stop until I get a couple of cups (with plenty of milk) into my day.

I don't understand a poll about this. Tom's right to consider the half-life of caffeine, but I think it's clear from responses here that the effects of caffeine are somewhat individual. Whether you - @dr4712, our OP here - want to drink caffeine X hours before bed or not . . . I think that's an n=1 experimental question, not something to decide by public poll.

Best wishes!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP doesn't drink coffee. I love this place. :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My coffee is fairly weak and half Teeccino, so finishing my second cup at dinner does not interfere with my sleep.

I get Raspberry Mocha and Almond Amaretto on Amazon, but here is their website: https://teeccino.com