Question about defrosting a turkey in cold water

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
I'm defrosting a turkey in cold water because I understand doing it at room temperature is considered unsafe and the time they give for defrosting in the refrigerator has always been way longer than what was given.

I'm wondering how necessary it is to change the water every 30 minutes while the turkey is still mostly frozen. The water temperature from the tap was 48°F. With the frozen turkey having been in it for two hours it is still 48°F. I haven't changed it yet as I don't see the point of swapping 48°F water for more 48°F water, but perhaps I am missing something.

Thoughts?

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/poultry/turkey-basics-safe-thawing#:~:text=Cold Water Thawing&text=Submerge the wrapped turkey in,immediately after it is thawed.

Cold Water Thawing

Allow about 30 minutes per pound.

First be sure the turkey is in a leak-proof plastic bag to prevent cross-contamination and to prevent the turkey from absorbing water, resulting in a watery product.

Submerge the wrapped turkey in cold tap water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the turkey is thawed. Cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed.

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I only change the water if it gets too cold ie I use lukewarm water. I think if the water is the same temp then there’s no need to change it? I defrost a lot of stuff this way now and sometimes change the water, other times I don’t.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    edited March 7
    Options
    Probably too late for this turkey, but I don't swap water out because I defrost my turkey in brining solution. It also helps with faster thawing because the turkey isn't in a plastic bag where the inside is insulated from the thawing effects of the brining solution. I am careful to keep the temp of the water in the safe zone by adding ice as necessary, but I don't swap out the water and, like you, don't see any point in doing so.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    frhaberl wrote: »
    Probably too late for this turkey, but I don't swap water out because I defrost my turkey in brining solution. It also helps with faster thawing because the turkey isn't in a plastic bag where the inside is insulated from the thawing effects of the brining solution. I am careful to keep the temp of the water in the safe zone by adding ice as necessary, but I don't swap out the water and, like you, don't see any point in doing so.

@frhaberl how long do you brine for and what temperature is the safe zone? Are you brining on the counter and adding ice as needed?

I decided to cook it Saturday, so in two days, and stuck in back in the frig. But now I might brine it Friday. I saw lots of interesting recipes, but had been planning on a traditional turkey, so would likely just use salt and some dried herbs.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-brine-turkey/

But now I'm thinking I don't want to do a whole Thanksgiving dinner, in which case using a more exotic brine followed by a non-traditional recipe would be the way to go.

https://www.wellplated.com/turkey-brine-recipe/
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I usually brine overnight to 12 hours. I've brined in my mudroom sink or in the garage in the winter. If it's in the garage in the winter, I don't feel the need to check as often and generally don't have to add ice. If it's in my mudroom sink (I usually put a 5 gallon bucket in the sink, lined with a plastic bag, vs brining directly in the sink) then I usually add ice before bed and get up early to check and add more ice. I generally don't take the temperature of the water, but make sure that there is always some ice remaining.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    Food safety purposes for using running water are to carry away any bacteria. That's less likely if your stuff is sealed, but if the seal has broken and water can get in, your food can be contaminated.

Thawing in water does waste a fair bit of water, and that's why thawing in the refrigerator is usually preferred. It does take more advance planning.

You could put it in a cooler with ice packs that might be less cold than the fridge, and if kept above the ice packs could still thaw into the air space of the cooler. It will still take a while, but it should be food safe if it's a good enough cooler.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    frhaberl wrote: »
    @kshama2001 I usually brine overnight to 12 hours. I've brined in my mudroom sink or in the garage in the winter. If it's in the garage in the winter, I don't feel the need to check as often and generally don't have to add ice. If it's in my mudroom sink (I usually put a 5 gallon bucket in the sink, lined with a plastic bag, vs brining directly in the sink) then I usually add ice before bed and get up early to check and add more ice. I generally don't take the temperature of the water, but make sure that there is always some ice remaining.

Thanks! It was only a 11 pound turkey, and it fit in a 3 gallon container, which fit in the frig after I moved a shelf up a notch, so I did it there. For 24 hours.

I forgot to rinse it afterwards, but we like salt, so it's ok that it was a little salty. My partner said it was the best turkey he's ever had :smiley:

Normally I cook turkeys upside down for the first half of the cooking time, but skipped that since the brining helps prevent the breast from drying out.

I read somewhere to not use iodized salt as that can make it taste metallic, so used Himalayan, because I had a large quantity of that on hand. Interestingly, when I was brining chicken breast last summer, my boyfriend said it tasted "industrial" so I will have to try it again with non-iodized salt.