So guilty, Guilty, GUILTY feeling...

Options
Today at work we had a retirement luncheon for one of the ladies. I had the grilled veggies, a little bit of rice and a salad with only a bit of balsamic dressing. And cake. Chocolate cake with strawberry gel filling and whipped cream frosting. I did well considering the options of ziti pasta, fried chicken breasts and heavy dressings offered, right?

But I'm disappointed in myself for eating the cake. Yes it was good, but I feel like I let myself down. I know that the occasional treat is encouraged and I do allow myself one per day, but I just feel an overwhelming amount of guilt about it right now...does anyone else come up against that feeling of guilt?

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    All the time! But basically I've come to the conclusion that I can't undo what I've done, so it makes no sense to keep beating myself up about it. I just have to jump back in with both feet. In the past, I'd look at the fact that I'd "blown it" and eaten cake and just think that since I already messed up, what's the point? I've had to change my thinking to say, "Okay, I blew it. But tomorrow is a new day, so get back in there and do it right tomorrow."
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty about food anymore. Guilty feelings do nothing for me other than make me feel bad. If I enjoyed how something tasted, why would I want to mix that in with feeling bad about it?

It's already done - you ate the cake. At the time it tasted good, you said so yourself. What good is feeling guilty about it doing you?

If you want something positive to come from it (other than enjoying the cake!), be different tomorrow. Set a goal that tomorrow, you won't eat cake. Or you'll work out. Or you'll be kind to yourself tomorrow - or better yet, for the rest of today! But don't feel guilty over something you enjoyed today.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The 'old' me used to, but not this one. You need to realize there is NO such thing as cheating. If you call it that, you will feel guilt - there is no way around it. I make better choices now than I used to, I plan them in, and I burn the calories if needed. Yes, cake for every meal isn't a great diet, but having one slice with a salad is totally acceptable. This ISN'T A DIET! There is nothing off limits - and frankly that cake sounds tasty! Don't sweat it!
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have felt guilty! Come on you dodged the dressing, fried chicken and whatever else! I bet before you would of had a bit of everything you wanted and not thought twice about it. You treated yourself, its allowed. Unless your planning on never eating cake again lol *madness"!!!** haha. Turn the guilt into just awareness of what you ate and realising that these foods are treats and to be eaten in moderation!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty...if you just had a piece of cake (not the whole thing) you are not going to gain from it! Take a walk tonight if you feel really guilty!!! But remember you are changing your lifestyle....You have to be able to have your cake and eat it too!!!!

You will do amazing!!! Just don't have cake tonight or for the next few days!!!!! Drink some water!!!! You are doing great!!!!!!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    No guilt. Everything in moderation. If you don't allow foods and feel guilty when you eat them, you put yourself in a position to not sustain the lifestyle. Having cake occasionally, especially if you maintain your caloric intake, isn't going to cause weight gain. Be kind to yourself.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    figure out how many calories the cake was then you have your goal to burn off during your exercise!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I make better choices now than I used to, I plan them in, and I burn the calories if needed.

THIS!!! Just make the rest of today as healthy as possible. Go for a walk, eat a light but healthy dinner, and enjoy your day. Don't let one pc of cake ruin your day. It did sound amazing :)
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    I do feel guilty sometimes.

In the past I would try to totally cut myself off from all treats. That never worked for me. I would always fall hard.

These days I tell myself everything in moderation. If I train myself that way, I am much less likely to binge and give up and put that weight back on.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you counted the calories and burn them off or had them to "spend", then why feel guilty? Now if you went back for a second and third piece...maybe :) One slice of cake that you have "paid" for isn't going to hurt you.
  • CuteEllais
    CuteEllais Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sounds like I need some reframing in my mind. I'll work on it!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't feel guilty when I eat stuff like that because I don't do it ALL the time anymore. To me, that's something to be proud of. I refuse to live my life fearing food. In my mind, that's completely ridiculous and incredibly unrealistic. *said as I sip on a REAL Pepsi that is accounted for*