End of the road?

Options
This is one of those "poor me" posts that I hate, but I have to write something..I had been doing pretty well here, dropped 49 pounds since April and felt fantastic. The last couple of months I started noticing the weight loss had slowed right down, but it was still coming off so I was still happy. But I honestly think my journey is over. Just to fill in those people that don't know me, my wife and I had a beautiful baby girl almost 3 weeks ago, and I had 2 weeks holiday from work to spend time with the family, stopped exercising and basically ate whatever I wanted (which wasn't too extravagant) and to my complete disbelief, gained 9 pounds.

9 lbs in 2 weeks.

This has totally killed my belief and my enthusiasm and I don't know if I have the balls to carry on.

Sorry for being a whiney ba***d but I have just had enough. How is it possible to gain so much weight in 2 weeks??

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep, stress of a new baby, and not watching what you eat. It probably is mostly water though and will come off quickly once you get back into a routine.
  • ambie443
    Options
    Don't give up, **** happens. if you were 10 miles away from home on your bike and fell off what would you do? of course you would get back on otherwise you would just be sitting on the side of the road. with that being said Get back on track with eating right and exercising. you can do this. :)
  • holmesd450
    holmesd450 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You're going to give up after only a 9lb gain?

Weak bruh

I bet you 5 lbs is mostly water and and only 4 lbs fat, after 1 week in the gym or whatever you do you will lose most of it. Don't lose your head over it.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Probably eating too many things high in sodium....I bet if you drank a bunch of water and started working out you would see a few of those drop off rather quickly. You also have a new baby and alot of new stress that can take a toll on the body. Relax it does not mean you have to quit. Look how far you have come already....you don't want to wake up a year from now with all the weight gained back and wishing you would not have given up. You do have it in you just get up and start fresh. Get alot of people to help get your butt kicked in gear and hold you accountable. You will drop those 9 pounds faster than you think! Hang in there friend!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I gained back almost 4 pounds in a week, so I know exactly how you feel. I have been full of doubts about myself and that letting it go for a week did that to me. The combination of not eating well, stress from something new and maybe not exercising as much does take a toll on you. (It may even be mostly water weight like jjdevore said).

My advice is to take it one day at a time. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you gain, but no matter what, own up to your mistakes and be happy with the victories you've had this far. You've still lost over 30 lbs.!! That is so great! A thousand people would kill to have already lost that. (Including me lol)

Dust yourself off, forget about the bad 2 weeks you just had, and try again. You can do it--the weight you've lost shows that you can. Good luck!! :)
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I weight myself once a day usually now, but within one day i can see half a stone difference quite frequently. A lot of it will come down to water weight, not actual fat, it is extremely unlikely you could gain 9lbs of fat in 2 weeks time unless you overate by loads and loads and loads... and loads.

I would try not to focus on the exact weight, I'm guessing your clothes still feel comfortable otherwise you would've mentioned, so it's just temporary weight fluctuation which can happen.

Don't give up, obviously the routine must change now you have a baby (BIG CONGRATULATIONS by the way!) but if you want to just maintain and not lose then you should still try and exercise a bit and eat healthyish, it'll be better in the long run for you and your family :)

I wish you all the luck and motivation and happiness for you and your family
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    because you ate them!!!. don't give up, think of all the time and effort you have taken to lose
    this weight, you don't want to go back to what you were, think of all the fun you are going to have with
    your daughter when she gets older and you are nice and slim and fit.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I really doubt that this is "actual" weight gain, buddy. One time, I "gained" 6 lbs in one night, but it came off over the next two days, so it had to have been water weight. Don't let it get you down buddy! Get your booty back to the gym and keep workin it. I know you have it in you. Do it for your new daughter, because before you know it she is going to be a toddler and you're going to have to keep up with that little ball of energy!

You can do it buddy. Your pals are here for you!
  • cjjones007
    Options
    Dude a lot of that could be water weight - please try to consider hanging on a little longer - Neil I don't know what my day would be like without one of your comments brother!!!!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You don't know if you, "have the balls to carry on"? Really? I don't want to come across as being harsh, and not everyone responds to comments the same way I would, but I'm going to say what I'd want to hear if I was in your position...

Get off you *kitten* and get back at it. You have a new and constant reminder of why you should/need to do it. Your beautiful daughter deserves a dad that is fit, healthy, sets a good example for her and will be around to walk her down the aisle on her wedding day (among with all her other life milestones). Don't give up over 9lbs. Adding pounds is obviously easier than losing them (otherwise this site probably wouldn't exist), but isn't your daughter worth it?
  • AshleyPic
    AshleyPic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.... Don't give up!! As a nurse I can tell you for sure that most of the weight you gained was from water. Did you eat lots of high sodium foods? fried food? Did you go out to eat? Did you drink liquor? For you to have actually gained 9 lbs of fat you would have had to eat an excess of 27,000 calories above what you "maintain" calorie level is since there are 3,000 calories in a pound. This weekend I had a big meal on Saturday and I drank alot along with another big meal on Sunday. When I weighed myself on Monday I had gained 5 lbs. I drank tons of water Monday and Tuesday, peed alot and today I was back at my normal weight. Don't give up!!!!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    No quitting. I need you. Sent PM.

Big love. <<<<hug>>>>>
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Sweetness you are experiencing a form of PPD, called 'trouble D'adaptation' in french, it means time to get used to this new family arrangement of 4 and try to get your act together and get some Neil time again, it made you happy and cheery... You can do this, you've done great so far, I know you wanted to reach that 50 so bad, but **** happens, now to get back on that horse and make you want it even more. I'm here for ya, we all are... don't leave and quit all together, you know what your mistakes/problem areas, you just need to work on getting them fixed...

hugs!!! this is not just a quick fix you are looking for being healthy is a long term project, i consider it ME time! you need to not forget who's important, YOU! wife and kids are too but you come first, I'm a mom of 2 and a spouse and fixed to get some me time in there...

hugs again, or would you prefer a Karen' kick in the A$s!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Lets do the math. 3500 calories in a pound times 9 pounds equals 31500 calories. Divide by 14 days equals 2250 calories average per day. Ask yourself if you really ate an excess of 2250 calories over what your base number is every day for two weeks?
    If not, a part of this weight is fluids.
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thing is Neil. You spent two weeks and a lot of the time prior to this,running round while your wife was in hospital,then running ound loads more when she came out. You have looked after the kid's.lived on adrenaline for a number of days and generally been a great husband and dad. The term holiday may have been attatched to the time you had off,but as nice as it was to spend time with all your family,it was probably best given its best term of paternity leave. You had a constant stream of visitors and I know how that and did fry your brain. During all this time you looked after everyone and made sure that everyone was well and that life carried on as normally as possible. The one person you didnt look after was you my friend.
    You didnt get that loss by not having the cajones for this and there is no doubt it will be tougher than before,cos you and your time will still be in greater demand.
    But not having the balls for it...do me a favour,you have motivated yourself into a winning position and along the way have lifted others too. So lets not forget why you started this,she has just entered the world,so now is the time to step it up and get back at it.You wont be able to carry on with the same intensity,you will have to re-evaluate your goals and accept smaller losses and maybe smaller physical differences,but long term you can have it all and come out of this the winner.
    Just do your best each and every day,take the pressure off and enjoy it along the way.
    Take care my friend.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Never give up...this is for life..NOT a diet!!!!!
  • gods_gal
    Options
    I believe in one month, you will experience one of the following:

1. Have gained even more weight from not living a healthy lifestyle of eating the proper amount of food and not exercising, and be experiencing even more of a guilty, shameful, beat up on yourself attitude toward yourself; or

2. Will have lost that 9 pounds of probably mostly water weight and an additional amount on top of that. You'll be happier emotionally because you will have fought the demon of despair and won and because you are a champion that cannot be beat!

Your family needs you to be healthy. I believe in you!!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What would you say to someone else who had posted this?
  • AussieFirebird
    AussieFirebird Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    S1 do you remember seeing my weight fluctuate up and down like a yoyo dude? It did my head in but I continued on. You know why? Cuz you won't ever see results unless you keep trying, if you stop the only result is not to move forward! This is a set back in your journey, but a temporary one - and usually weight that has recently been gained can be taken off very easily! You owe it to yourself and your beautiful family to pick yourself up, and begin to move forward again! Your kids and wife are going to respect you like crazy for it! We got your back dude! Time to muscle up and push push push through that wall my friend!! You got this!!! :)

Croz :) aka PC1 :)
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Neil, love you to bits. You have been an inspiration.

And you know I;ve been having problems with maintaining let alone losing recently - I gained 7lb in all, 5 over two weeks.

I was so pleased when I lost two of those pounds but felt like I didn't deserve praise. What did you say to me? A drop is a drop - don't knock it.

You've gained. Under understandable circumstances. Give yourself a break. What is your net loss from when you started? A pretty f*cking impressive 39lb.

You KNOW I'm only down the road from you in Sunny Nuneaton, along with at least one more (way more impressive) MFP member. We can always come up to Dudley & kick your a%$e around your poxy zoo for a few calories.