Instead of counting calories, make claories count!

I just read this somewhere. It explained how instead of counting calories from useless junk food containing no nutritional value whatsoever, make the calories you do consume matter, like ones that come with protein and fiber. For example, instead of grabbing a 100 calorie snack pack, pick a serving of almonds instead. It may have slightly more calories, but it will keep you full MUCH longer. I don't know about you, but if I chose the sugary snack instead, I would most definitely want another one!

Replies

• yvonmac
    yvonmac Posts: 47 Member
    Good points, Thanks!
  • yvonmac
    Good points, Thanks!
  • yvonmac
    Good points, Thanks!
  • yvonmac
    Good points, Thanks!
  • Love it.
  • *it double posted me. Awesome.
  • So true! I am constantly looking for healthier choices for snacks, and try to keep different types of nuts in the house (or in a baggie in the truck).
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I just read this somewhere. It explained how instead of counting calories from useless junk food containing no nutritional value whatsoever, make the calories you do consume matter, like ones that come with protein and fiber. For example, instead of grabbing a 100 calorie snack pack, pick a serving of almonds instead. It may have slightly more calories, but it will keep you full MUCH longer. I don't know about you, but if I chose the sugary snack instead, I would most definitely want another one!

I completely agree. for me it's about nutrition. It's why even though they are high in ft I eat avocados nearly every day. They are a a good fat so I'm not afraid of the calories it contains.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Very true!
  • alkutmas
    alkutmas Posts: 2 Member
    I like the 100 calorie snacks because I am less likely to cheat later. I feel like a all ready had my treat for the day so I don't want another. Nuts just aren't my thing but I do see what your saying. What other healthy snacks do you guys like?
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    I agree! I would much rather eat avocados, hummus, nuts and fruit than low calorie garbage (sugary) snacks that still leave me hungry.
  • Yes the food does make a difference. The right foods are not only much healthier, but can actually help you lose weight.
    Empty calories are like eating sugar.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/daves160
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member

Getting rid of the nutritionally void "foods" also helps you to learn to eat intuitively and calorie counting becomes a thing of the past.

I don't count calories. I keep my fat, protein and carbs at certain %'s and that is what I go by. I don't care if the "number" of calories is 700 or 2,000 - as long as the percentages for my fat, protein and carbs are where they are supposed to be.

I take QUALITY over QUANTITY any day and everyday.
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    This is so important. I imagine all the times I have eaten junk food that does absolutely nothing for my body, when I could have been eating an awesome nutritious food that helps my body out.