What would you do? -Food Weight

Options
I eat cashews every day! I love them. The package says 1/4 cup (1 oz) equals 160 calories. So every morning I take out my measuring cup and scoop out 1/4 of a cup and put in a baggy.

I bought a food scale and last night I made the mistake of weighing my 1/4 Cup bag of cashews. It was WAY over 1 ounce.. more like 1.6 ounces.

Should I keep just measuring out my 1/4 cup, or should I be good and weigh the baggy to make sure it's really only 1 ounce?

Replies

• CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go with what the foodscale says. I was overeating in this same manner. My 'about 17 chips' 1 ounce, was really about 13 or 14 chips.

These little things add up.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would go by the weight for more accuracy.

If you're pouring them into a measuring cup, they could be sitting in there differently each time causing the difference in weight?!?!?! Not sure, but the scale would be more accurate I would think.
  • SweetP88
    Options
    Always go by weight (when possible).....I found the exact same thing...1 cup of my breakfast cereal is WAY over the 54g they claim it should be.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    With the exception of liquids, I always go by weight.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Always go by weight. You will notice that most foods have printed somewhere on them "sold by weight, not volume" or something similar. The volume measurement is really only an approximate comparison. And if you can measure in grams instead of ounces, that's even better. It's a smaller unit and more accurate.

Sorry that you'll have to give up a few nuts, but you'll find that some foods are actually MORE per serving when measured by weight. Popcorn is a good example! :)