To those who have lost-how does it make you feel?

Options
This may be a stupid question, but how does it make you feel when you see an old picture of yourself at a higher weight? I was looking through pictures on my boyfriends phone from a while ago and found one of a friend& I. I can't believe how HUGE I was! I really didn't even know it.
It makes me feel really sad. I feel ashamed. I also feel proud that I'm doing something about it.

Your experience?

Replies

• Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I see pictures from 9 months ago I can see the difference, but when I look in the mirror I think I look the same. It'll probably be a while until I feel better about myself, even though I'm 44 lbs lighter.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at avoiding photos so I don't have too much to look back on. But I feel so much better than six months ago. My energy levels are higher, I am less tired and definitely happier.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I feel shocked when I look at a pic of me heavier last New Year. I also wonder why most people haven't noticed I've lost weight!
  • sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm not at my goal yet, I look at those photos -- even from 2 weeks ago-- and I am just embarrassed and almost ashamed. I also wonder what all my friends and family have been thinking these last 5 years.
    Obviously theyve never said anything to me-- but I know they were thinking about it.

It'll be interesting to see if they get the nerve to say anything to me as I continue to lose the weight.

I also think that I wasnt truly looking at myself in those pics or in the mirror for how I truly looked. Iwould instead look at my hair or cute dress or earrings- i wasnt looking at how large my body had gotten.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm not at my goal yet, I look at those photos -- even from 2 weeks ago-- and I am just embarrassed and almost ashamed. I also wonder what all my friends and family have been thinking these last 5 years.
    Obviously theyve never said anything to me-- but I know they were thinking about it.

It'll be interesting to see if they get the nerve to say anything to me as I continue to lose the weight.

I also think that I wasnt truly looking at myself in those pics or in the mirror for how I truly looked. Iwould instead look at my hair or cute dress or earrings- i wasnt looking at how large my body had gotten.

Yeah that is like exactly how I feel.

Givemewings- I think a lot of the time people are shy to say something about it because weight is a sensitive topic. I'm sure they've noticed!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm sure we have all said at some point:

"I cant believe i let myself get like that"

"How could i have been so stupid?"

etc. I know i have!
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I took sexy professional pics for my man last year and i thought they looked great. I looked at them last night and put them under the bed. I dont look good, dont know how i tricked myself into thinking i did =/

I dont see a change in the mirror in pictures i do, i feel okay that i lost weight, i just want to lose more. =p
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    :noway:

:grumble:

:laugh:

:mad:

:drinker:

:sad:

:ohwell:

:happy:
  • amewha
    amewha Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I didn't like how pictures looked when I was at my highest, so my opinion of looking at those pictures now hasn't changed all that much.

But what I LOVE is looking at pictures of me from the late 90s and thinking, dang! I almost look the same now! and that gives me a great rush.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a bit different then others that have commented here. I feel a rush when I look at my old pictures now. Those old "before" pictures give me the greatest feeling of accomplishment and I don't mind looking at them at all because I know I will never get that bad again. I don't have those blinders on that we all use when we're overweight trying to convince ourselves that we look ok. I will display those pictures proudly and say "look at me now!"
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel great that I finally managed to accomplish something I've been trying to do for so long. Those fat pictures of me are a constant reminder never to get back into that shape ever again.
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    I got back and forth from wanting to show the world where i've come from.. to being SO ashamed I ever let myself get to the point I was at.

Atho, it does help when I want a burger to look at those pictures and be like, you know what.. I don't want one that badly anymore. lol
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I look at old pictures of myself and am honestly disgusted. I look at them, and think to myself how I thought I was healthy/ok and how my friends and family just let me be that way. I was never huge, but just not healthy at all. I don't blame them, as it's my own fault, but I just really wonder what people thought of when they saw me then.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I guess I am a bit different then others that have commented here. I feel a rush when I look at my old pictures now. Those old "before" pictures give me the greatest feeling of accomplishment and I don't mind looking at them at all because I know I will never get that bad again. I don't have those blinders on that we all use when we're overweight trying to convince ourselves that we look ok. I will display those pictures proudly and say "look at me now!"

Maybe when I'm closer to my goal I hope to feel the same. Congrats though
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Makes me feel great that I finally managed to accomplish something I've been trying to do for so long. Those fat pictures of me are a constant reminder never to get back into that shape ever again.

Ditto!
  • Mkrug221
    Options
    I hate pictures of myself in general. I've lost 56lbs so far yet I am still overweight. I think I look better in pictures but look worse naked if that makes sense. So I'm more self conscious about that.

I feel better. I have more energy and am able to do more things though, which really pushes me to keep going.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    I can't believe what I looked like 9 months ago...now I don't even remember being that way (well almost, trying to forget). I will never go back to this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332275-75-pounds-lost-in-8-months-with-pics
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I basically feel the same. I am disgusted in the way I used to look, but happy that I worked hard and lost 30 lbs!