Wondering what meals to eat for fatty liver

Options
Mchughy1805
Mchughy1805 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 17 in Food and Nutrition
Currently been told I need to change my diet up and start eating right just wondering if someone could help point me in the right way of meals that are healthy and will help towards fatty liver as I’m 22 and been told if I eat right and start to work out I can switch it around . Thanks

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Currently been told I need to change my diet up and start eating right just wondering if someone could help point me in the right way of meals that are healthy and will help towards fatty liver as I’m 22 and been told if I eat right and start to work out I can switch it around . Thanks

There's likely no particular way of eating that's going to help fatty liver any more than others... except the way of eating that helps you lose weight... and that's individual to you and what you can stick to. I think you'll find that what people on here consider "healthy" will vary person to person with no 2 being the same. My main belief is "eat food, mostly plants, not too much".
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's one specific diet you should follow, other than one that leads to weightloss and allows you to keep your weight down long-term. Did you doctor say you need to lose fast and are they monitoring you for it? Or is the advice just to lose weight in a sustainable way?
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Did Doc give you recommendations?
    Our Docs gave us a general guideline diet to try, and the gist was adding veggies (cruciferous like broccoli come to mind, lol), maybe adding regular green tea might help along with reducing foods with a lot of added sugars and salt, and weight loss.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    https://www.healthline.com/health/fatty-liver-diet

The link above has some good guidelines. Gradual weight loss through calorie reduction and regular exercise is a great approach. A “Mediterranean” diet fits the guidelines well, with focus on whole grains, unsaturated fats, lean protein, and fruits and vegetables. That said, I agree with the statement above that the best diet is the one you can stick to, so finding options that you enjoy and are accessible for you is more important than following a prescribed meal plan.

My dad has end stage liver disease, brought on by fatty liver disease. I can tell you that it is VERY important to do what you can now to not end up where he is.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited January 18
    Options
    Weight loss in conjunction with a ketogenic diet lowers trigs which by default lowers liver fat the most of any diet, unfortunately it removes all the tasty carbs.
  • desertmum56
    desertmum56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doctor encouraged me to eat a Mediterranean diet. Says it’s a healthy way to get my liver back on track.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm late to the thread but thought you might find this helpful. I was diagnosed on 2/1/24 and I've found it very helpful. I asked my gastro to clarify on how much I need to "avoid" sweets and he said the same as red meat - a very small portion twice a week.

https://www.bcm.edu/sites/default/files/a-guide-to-what-and-how-to-eat-non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease.pdf