Bogus "toning" shoes = $25 million penalty for Reebok

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/28/8013146-reebok-settles-deceptive-toning-shoe-ad-charges-for-25-million

The Federal Trade Commission said Wednesday the athletic shoe giant would dole out $25 million to consumers as part of an agreement to settle charges that it deceived consumers in ads for EasyTone and RunTone shoes which claimed people would get more shapely thighs and glutes by wearing the shoes.

$25 million is not even a slap on the wrist for Reebok, but hopefully it puts the final nail in the coffin of the whole BS concept of "toning shoes".

Replies

• mewdds
    Options
    Amen to that!
  • ennaejay
    Options
    hahaha!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I agree! Toning shoes are ridic! soo dumb!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm afraid there are quite a few MFPers who are going to be getting refunds...
  • Maggiedc
    Options
    Toning shoes are such a joke...I've seen them really screw up a few people's feet.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    here here. might as well buy a shake weight if ya are going to buy "toning" shoes
  • angelar1022
    Options
    Even if the toning shoes don't work, they are SO COMFY!!! I have the skechers. Wow!
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just filled out my refund request :P Let's wait for that check then.
  • Tigerlily47
    Options
    I have only ever purchased the MBT shoes which are the inspiration for all of the spin-offs. I bought them not to lose weight, tone up but to help me with my back and heel issues and they definitely do work for that. I did get toned but that's just because I enjoyed walking more because my pain was gone. LOL!!!! I think the knock offs are crazy!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    but they helped me! I promiseee!! hehe :-P
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that some recent reports claimed they led to hip fractures in some people. I admit I haven't looked for any evidence of this--just something someone told me was recently in the news. Did anyone hear this and know the source?
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Well, it's nice to see the FTC did anything in response to bogus claims; I'm shocked. The whole industry seems to be "anything goes" as to how separate people from their money.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    here here. might as well buy a shake weight if ya are going to buy "toning" shoes

DOOOD!! The shake weight works if you use it every day!!! I really felt the burn in my arms when I used it properly and it took me a few days before I realized I wasn't using it properly at first... Just sayin lol