How do I use myfitnesspal to track the mediterranean diet.

Options
As I find myself needing to follow the Mediterranean diet for heart healthy meals, I would like to know how to best track what I am eating. I know nutrients are more important than calories, i.e. good carbs, good fats, lots of fish, fruits and veggies. Am I getting enough good carbs? Too many? Wrong kind of fruit? How can MFP help me to track?

Answers

• AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    lwr19onqxxpy.png
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't know the best way, but that is how I do it!:)
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I started a Mediterranean Diet last month for fatty liver. I switched to Net Carbs to help me better understand the quality of the carbs I'm eating. I'm prediabetic and hadn't bothered to track Net carbs instead of carbs before. I also started tracking Saturated Fat because that's super important for fatty liver.

Sounds like you might want to tweak the macros for heart health. This might be a good place to start:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/essential-guide-macros/

This looks like it has some ideas too: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/eating-right-for-your-heart

Good luck! I've found the tailoring helpful to keep focused on the right things for my own health.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    dougd102 wrote: »
    As I find myself needing to follow the Mediterranean diet for heart healthy meals, I would like to know how to best track what I am eating. I know nutrients are more important than calories, i.e. good carbs, good fats, lots of fish, fruits and veggies. Am I getting enough good carbs? Too many? Wrong kind of fruit? How can MFP help me to track?

I don't know what your exact dietary goals are, so this is hard to answer. People interpret and do the "Mediterranean diet" in various ways. Also, caveat up front, I'm not credentialed or formally educated in nutrition, just an interested amateur.

I'd suggest, as a general (not just Mediterranean) idea, to focus on getting enough protein from sources you consider good ones (fish, plant proteins that are both bioavailable and complete or complemented in essential amino acids - usually some poultry, dairy and eggs can be included in moderation, too - but follow your definition of "Mediterranean"). A protein goal in grams would be a good idea, IMO - rough rule of thumb, 0.6-0.8g daily per pound of healthy goal weight, though more is fine within reason, generically (i.e., Mediterranean may limit - I'm not a Mediterranean eater, personally).

Next, I'd tune up the fats, looking at keeping saturated fats below/at MFP goal, but getting a range of mono- and polyunsaturated fats. (We're talking nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, and that sort of thing.) Avoid trans fats, including foods with labels that say zero trans fats but contain hydrogenated oils. Get some Omega-3 fats (in some nuts, seeds, fatty cold-water fish), not just Omega-6 fats (some seed oils) - neither O-3 nor O-6 are bad, but many people eat lots of O-6 and little O-3. I like to get a minimum of 0.35-0.45g of fat daily per pound of goal weight.

You will notice that MFP has zero goals for mono- and polyunsaturated fats. That's because outfits like US FDA/NIH haven't set goals, and MFP doesn't typically make up goals not supported by mainstream sources of nutritional advice. The mainstream sources say the monos and polys are good for us, they just don't set a specific number. You can set your own goal in MFP if you like, or just work on getting that intake higher than zero/low.

Personally, I worked on getting these higher by small tweaks in my eating routine, like putting useful nuts in my oatmeal, seeds on my salads, using a suitable oil for cooking or dressings. Once those tweaks become habits, I don't much have to think about it daily, the right stuff just happens.

I don't know how to answer your question about good carbs and wrong fruits, because I don't think of food in black and white, good/bad categories. I think all (non-poisonous and non-allergenic) veggies and fruits are fine, and that varied types and colors are good to include routinely.

I think that if you're getting adequate good-quality protein and reasonably balanced healthy fats, you can eat many fruits and veggies relatively freely (within reason). You'll find that starchy vegetables inherently need to be somewhat limited if you have a calorie goal, because they're higher in calories than non-starchy ones. (Starchy veg = things like potatoes, peas, beans, corn. Whole grains mostly also contain starchy carbs.) But the classic Mediterranean diet (or the trending one ;) ) does include some starchy carbs. The usual definition suggests limiting carbs from refined flours, added sugar, and that sort of thing.

For getting enough veggies/fruits, I personally set myself a goal of X servings per day. (For me, 5 minimum, 10+ desirable. That's somewhat arbitrary on my part.) Since I calorie count, and use a food scale, for simplicity I defined a serving as 80 grams. Here again, I mostly focused on eating patterns/habits, so I don't have to count the servings/grams explicitly most of the time. Once in a while I check, just by going through my diary for the day and adding up, wanting at least 400g and ideally 800g+. It's pretty easy.

I don't personally think calories are unimportant for heart health. (I'm saying that as someone who formerly had high cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure, but no formal diagnosis of heart disease.) Reaching a healthy body weight, or staying at a healthy body weight, is useful for heart health. (So is appropriate cardiovascular exercise, of course.)

Body weight is directly about calories. Some mainstream sources have essentially given up on emphasizing calories, because that hasn't been effective in getting the population-average body weight going in the right direction. For many people eating the so-called standard American diet (SAD), switching to more of a whole foods diet (like Mediterranean) is so filling that they naturally limit calories and lose weight without counting. If that works, that's great.

For someone like me, who got overweight then obese eating mostly whole foods - a very possible thing, trust me - it was necessary to reduce calorie intake to manage body weight, whether by counting the calories or some other mechanism. (I count. I lost from class 1 obese to healthy weight in a bit under a year at age 59-60, have remained at a healthy weight since, now age 68.)

Again: I have zero credentials in nutrition or weight loss, just personal reading and experience. Be cautious about advice from random idiots on the internet, including me. Maybe especially me. ;)

Best wishes!

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    edited March 13
    Options
    For all intents a purposes a Mediterranean diet is basically a whole food diet, which is great but the health benefits of a Med diet is more than just the food they eat, it's their lifestyle, terroir, culture, so even though the advertising on the side of the bus says Swiss milk, the bus isn't going to Switzerland, if you get what I mean. Stick with the whole food diet as much as you can.

Main drivers of NAFLD are the overconsumption of calories, basically excess energy, as well as too many refined carbohydrates through a process called de novo lipogenesis, which literally means making new fat, refined sugar which half of that is fructose that only get metabolized and stored in the liver and when someone is overconsuming this is really a big driver of fatty liver, along with the refined carbs. This is also the main driver of increased chronic inflammation and elevated triglycerides, which is basically liver fat, and of course a few more serious effects like insulin resistance, diabetes, heart disease, PCOS etc.

Saturated fat when overeaten can contribute to fatty liver as well but all studies involved show a mixed meal that includes carbohydrates. Basically a big mac and a pop is pretty much not what anyone with fatty liver should ever eat. Also common sense should tell you if saturated fat as an independent nutrient caused fatty liver then it comes to reason that a ketogenic diet shouldn't be able to actually reverse fatty liver but it does, every time.

The big driver of fatty liver and pretty much all of these communicable diseases are a combination of overconsumption and a diet that are also high in processed and ultra processed foods. Look at it this way. If a diet represents 2000 calories and your eating 2300 calories the body is never going to be using any adipose for the expressed use for energy. If we burn 2000 calories a day that would basically represent 83 calories an hour as our burn rate, and yes we're more active during he day, nevertheless, if were eating 3 meals a day and a few snacks we're basically consuming 500 calories let say for the 3 meals, give or take leaving 500 calories for snacks, then during our waking hours we never get to the point where we're actually using adipose for energy and if were overconsuming and consuming 2300 we're never dipping into adipose when we sleep, this is by far the biggest driver of fatty liver and losing weight getting back into a reasonable weight for your stature etc should be priority one while consuming that Mediterranean diet imo. good luck. :)
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Did your Dr or team give you information on the Mediteranean food choices? And suggested servings per day?

I tend to think of the Mediteranean guidelines as foods to choose and eat. Lots of books and info on the net about the foods typical for a mediteranean foods to eat.

And, the MFP food tracker helps understand amount of calories/grams in the foods selected to eat.

*my heart doctor also recommends the mediteranean plan for potential heart health benefits.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    dougd102 wrote: »

Assuming your PCP or cardiologist recommended the Mediterranean diet, you can ask for a referral to a registered dietitian. (If you are in the US, you want a RD, not a nutritionist.)

Meanwhile, Ann gave some great tips on diet and neanderthin was insightful by pointing out the health benefits of the Med Diet are from more than just diet. There are a whole host of other things, but I'd definitely include exercise. Since I'm presuming you are a heart patient, check with your doctor.
  • deniserzaj
    deniserzaj Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    Here is the list of foods. I am certain you will be able to find the macros in the foods if you do research or go premium with myfitnesspal https://www.mediterraneanliving.com/the-mediterranean-diet-food-list/ and this as well What is the ideal macronutrient breakdown for a Mediterranean Diet?

Macro nutrients for M Diet...Aim for 45-60% of your calories from carbohydrates, 10-35% from protein, and 25-35% from healthy fats like olive oil or avocado.