help me with my rest day

Options
i dont have one.... i workout everyday. i usually run on the treadmill for 30min and then do weightlifting for 30 min. everyday. some days i skip weightlifiting and on those days i run for 15min and then do a zumba class for 45 min. i am noticing that my body is starting to hurt/ache more especially my legs and i am tired more often. do i need to take rest days? if so when and how many a week. i dont take them now because then i do not get any added calories and i am worried that without execise calories i will go over my limit or still be hungry. what do you do or suggest?

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You need to have a minimum of 1 rest day per week. Your body needs time to recover. when to rest will depend on what type of exercise you are into.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I take two rest days per week. Mostly because my body needs it. You have to listen to your body. If you are tired and hurting, rest!

Good luck!
  • hanes222
    hanes222 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your body definately needs some rest. I know it's tough, but it is definately needed. You need at least one day. . .when I had a tough time accepting not working out one full day a week, I took a yoga class that day. The workout intensity is low and it also stretches your muscles to help you recover.

Try to take it easy on yourself, that body of yours needs time to recover! :happy:

Hopefully this was helpful. Best of luck!
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have one rest day per week which are Saturdays. My body needs to recover after 6 days of intensive workouts. :)
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day, and I hope your not working the same muscle groups everyday. You need to alternate.
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would suggest alternating muscle groups. I workout everyday, too, and feel just crappy crappy when I don't...so I have learned to vary. Especially if you are into weight lifting, you could simply do treadmill one day and upper body/abs the next, and rotate all your favorites.
  • lyngordon42
    lyngordon42 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use my rest day as a stretch day...the p90x stretch DVD, about 57 mins long.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I take one per week usually, which sometimes it is hard for me to rest. I suggest taking at least one per week and listen to your body. When it is really sore and/or tired, it usually needs a break to recover and restore itself.

To deal with only eating your daily calories, on your rest days I suggest sticking to mostly unprocessed foods and limit processed/junk food so that you feel fuller. Drink at least 8 glasses of water, load up on veggies, fruit, lean proteins, some healthy fat like nuts, avocado, or oils, and whole grains. Helps me a lot with hunger to eat cleaner than usual on rest days.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    if i just take a slow walk on my rest days is that ok? or does that defeat the purpose?
  • Tamwil
    Options
    I know what you mean about working out everyday! It becomes quite addicting! But unfortunately my lesson learned was overdoing it walking everyday, jogging on my treadmill at a 3% elevation. My legs were really getting sore and the back of my heels felt sore and tight. I went ahead and ignored it and did an interval training on my treadmill...walking for 4 min...jogging at 7 mph for 3 min and repeating total 4 times. I felt good, but the next day something felt like it 'snapped' in the back of the left calf. Dr. said I sprained / tore my calf muscle! And I had to STOP right now before I really wrecked my muscle! So I had to rest it for a week and start slowly again. Now 3 weeks later I am walking at 3.5 mph and really being aware of pain. So I hope you do the same and definitely don't overdo it and cause yourself an injury. Believe me, its not worth it, it only puts you behind and worse, makes you rest for more days than you care to! So 'take' that rest day or 2 !!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    that is what i am worried about. i have a tightness in the back of my leg and while it only bothers me when i first get up in the morning and for the first few minutes of my run i do not want to make it worse. but i also dont want to feel like i am just using it as an excuse to not exercise
  • Tamwil
    Options
    My Dr. told me that before my workouts walking or jogging, to do some "eccentric loading", a stretch for your legs to prevents you from hurting yourself. You may want to ask your own Dr. what he would suggest. So 'google' it and watch the videos on the proper form. But again, you should get your Dr's. advice as well! Good Luck! :)
  • Bella7810
    Options
    I know the popular vote is to rest but I don't take a rest day either. I do, however, take a lighter day where I'm not as intense. I feel blah if I don't stay active so I just don't have a full rest day but on my lighter days I will do walking or a light cardio, only 30 or 45 mins. My other routines are very intense (TurboFire and Insanity) so I have to take a light day. I agree to alternate what you're doing. Don't work the same muscle groups back to back or you will continue to feel sore and tired and you also won't see results. There's my two cents. :happy:
  • Valechka
    Options
    Also try yoga or pilates ? I have sunday off,but we usually go somewhre so I end up doing more walking as usual, so that way I don't feel guilty to eat little more
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for at least one rest day (and alternating the muscles you work, too - very important).

But if you really can't stand a break, then light Yoga would be a good choice as would some gentle walking (half an hour or so, walking the dog or just taking in the sights - not Power walking uphill or anything!). But I've found I need two days of rest a week, even with alternating muscles / workouts. Still, one day would probably do you a lot of good..... after all, the body gets stronger and recovers while it's resting, not while you're working out.