calorie deficits?

Options
Getting a bit confused with all the information that’s out there. I’m trying to be on a 500 calorie deficit - my maintenance calories is around 1900, as i am on a deficit i eat around 1300 daily and i also burn on average 300-400 kcal each day. do i have to eat back the calories i’ve burned? as in My Fitness Pal, it’ll say i have 400 or so calories remaining.

if someone could also “dumb down” calorie deficits, that would also help! 😆

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Here's how MFP arrives at your calorie deficit:

bzihozouxby4.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Calories eaten back can be your nemesis in all this if you under report calories, over report exercise calories and use the wrong activity level and are inaccurate counting calories, so bottom line there are many ways to sabotage any sense of accuracy with this system.
  • jjjsroach
    jjjsroach Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eat your 1300 calories per day and don't eat back the exercise calories for 4 weeks and see what happens. That is what I did. I had consistent weight loss and decided to keep doing that. If you are not losing or are not feeling good, then make minor adjustments. Don't get lost in all the numbers and methodology. It's not rocket science.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight but I set the mfp calories to maintenance. Mfp will adjust the daily maintenance calories based on activity. I find it is easier to see how big of a deficit I have. I am trying to lose 5 lbs a month/1.25 lbs per week. It takes approximately a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound; a 17500 calorie deficit to lose 5 lbs. 17500/28 days in a month means I need a 625 calorie deficit every day to lose 1.5 lbs a week/5 lbs a month. I hope the example helps.