Considering my first 5K

Options
So, I'm considering running in a 5K in about six months. I have a friend, Emily, who is considering signing up with me. Right now, both of us are working hard at getting into shape, and we're talking about starting the C25K program once we finish doing 30 Day Shred.

My question is, what is the race like. Is it terribly long? What was your first race like? What did you do to prepare for it? I'm one of those people who researches the heck out of something until I'm completely comfortable with it. The race is for a good cause (A homeless shelter here in Omaha), and I'd love to start running races and eventually work my way to a 26.2 mile marathon, but baby steps for now. Thoughts?

Replies

• skinnyjeansss
    Options
    i haven't ran a 5K yet, but i will be in december. i'm on the C25K program as well and i love it!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5k race on Saturday. I was a non-runner up until about 3 months ago. I didn't follow the C25K, I just went out and ran until I was tired (about 15 minutes the first time). I run 2-3 times a week, roughly 2-5 Km each time. I can now run the 5K without stopping...it's not easy and there are moments where I want to stop, but I keep pushing on. You can do it!
  • runnermel
    Options
    my advice........DO IT!!! you will absolutely never, ever regret it!!! that is more than enough time to train for it. and the reward for doing it is amazing!! you got this!!
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5k race on Sunday. Did C25k and it was awesome. You have to stick with it, but it's so good. I thought the distance was crazy long to start - but then I could barely run for a minute without stopping and panting - but now it seems so easy and I can do 10k if I want. You should go for it :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you are doing C25K now, you will be more than ready for a 5K in 6 months, in fact you will probably be running that distance in half that time easily. As for the race itself, for starters it will be 3.1 miles...give or take, lol! Races have a great atmosphere, especially for your first one...and for me, I still have that same nervous energy at each starting line. The key on race day is to run your race, enjoy yourself and take it all in...and if it is for a good cause, remember that someone is being helped!
    BTW, I did C25K about a year ago, will be running my first 1/2 marathon in December if all goes well, so the program does work!
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    DO it! my first race was a 5k (3 miles) and I loved it... It's fun and super exciting to have like minded people coming together for the same cause. I did my 5k just beacuse.... I started running again and remembered that I liked it. So, I stumbled across a 5k that I thought was interesting and did two of them. Those runs inspired me to do a 1/2 marathon to be held this Sunday. I sooo ready -- not sure if I want to do a full. But have enjoyed training for the half. With that said have at it and run the 5k you will be glad you did! ;0)
  • Itsanewdave
    Options
    You can do it! A 5K may seem daunting, but it's so rewarding when you get through it knowing that you can do it. I've been doing them a lot this summer, but I still have yet to run an entire race. So far, I'm up to running 1.5 out of 3 miles.
    One of the best ways I have found to prepare for a 5K is Couch-to-5K. Just google it, and you will find a bunch of programs the help you prepare for running. They all should take around 8 weeks to do. You just have to make 30 -45 minutes a day to run. Just be prepared to be sore! If you haven't run in a while, running/walking for 30 minutes is going to hurt the next day.
    Also, get RunKeeper or an interval timer for your phone. It will help you keep track of your running.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    3.1 miles
    My first race?
    I was 230 lbs and just started running. My experience was not the best but I was excited as my bff signed me up. It was the moment that started my journey to running (hello, half marathons!) and weight loss (goodbye 70lbs).
    I started with Couch to 5k after slogging my way through that first 5k and I haven't stopped running since! You can totally do it. Stick with the program and if you have to repeat weeks.. that's totally fine too!

Good luck!
  • Alexia40
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K too and should be ready for a 5k by the end of the year. It's a great app - you only start with running for a minute at a time so perfect baby steps. (first time though I was unable to finish the number of rounds of run 60secs walk 90secs meant to do but repeated it the next day and managed them - I'm now on my 3rd week and it's going great)

It'd be good to keep up with how you are getting on with the training once you start.
  • Felixelus
    Felixelus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello there!
    I've ran a couple of 5ks now....first time I just trained on a treadmill and didn't really follow a plan. Did it in 40mins! If you follow a couch to 5k plan you'll do much better :) It's not a long race and generally the atmosphere is jovial and relaxed. Raising money for a good cause is good motivation and makes going over that finish line extra sweet.
    My second 5k was a training step to my second half marathon. I used it to train for speed. Did it in 30mins! :D Next time I wanna do it in under 30 mins ;) As you say, baby steps!! hehe!
    I recommend you just go for it, follow a plan, listen to your body and stay safe/healthy!
  • kendah
    kendah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at 245 lbs and less than a year later completed a half marathon. You can do this. My only advice is to check the race route and train for it. I did not train for hilly nashville for my half and was disappointed that I could not run the entire race.

You can do this!!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and did my first 5k in February..finished in 36 minutes! Do it, you'll NEVER regret it!!
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    A 5k is 3.1 miles. It is not terribly wrong but you should check out the course to see whether it is mostly flat or hilly. I've not been to Omaha, but my impression is that it is relatively flat (unlike here in Georgia where we can get some pretty good hills).

Other things to keep in mind is weather/temperature and just be acclimated to it. I usually run a 10K on July 4th here and the temperature and humidity make it tough for anyone not used to it.

I have been running since high school so it has been a long time since my first race. I've not run anything longer than a 10K although my brother has been trying to get me to do a half or full marathon..
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump. My first 5k is in 17 weeks
  • Go_Pokes
    Options
    My first 5K is in November and I've been following the C25K. I am not a runner. I'm slow and I don't really enjoy it but I love this program! So far so good! It's easy to start and easy to stick with. I don't think I'll be able to run it in 30 minutes BUT I am sure I will be able to run the whole thing! I have actually come to enjoy and look forward to my afternoon runs 3x a week :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, 5K is 3.1 miles. You can walk that far, at an average 3 MPH pace, in about an hour. If you look at it that way, an hour of walking to finish is pretty much the worst outcome.

I started C25K in April, ended up deciding to do interval running (walking breaks at specified intervals) and went 6 miles (10K) for the first time this past weekend. I'm signed up for my first official race, which is a 10K, on October 23rd. Since I can already do 6 miles now, I know I'll be more than ready for it when the time comes. I think that's the key. Follow C25K, or any other program which gets you ready for a 5K, run 5K in training so you know you can do it and then have fun on race day. As I mentioned earlier, the worst that happens is you walk it and that's not so horrible, really. :)
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    With me my first was this year, I basicaly told myself my goal is to finish it. At the same time i just made myself think i was going to go exercise and burn calories it was not as bad as i thought. I went in at first after the blow or gun goes off your heart is up from excitment but i just shuffled along until my heart rate got to where i can feel it is supose to be and i relaxed all my muscles in my arms and shoulders. I just kept picutre in my head i was on the same road as i do my everyday jogging at home, and i kinda put the idea of others around me out of my mind until i got comfortable, then once i was almost three miles it started getting hard but i kept saying i can do this.. This is nothing i can do this never let thoughts of stopping enter my mind. It really is mind over matter.

Your body can do what you tell it it can do. If you tell it this is hard then your body will think it is hard.

Try this on your practice runs say oh man this is easy this is easy keep saying it!!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If you are doing C25K now, you will be more than ready for a 5K in 6 months, in fact you will probably be running that distance in half that time easily. As for the race itself, for starters it will be 3.1 miles...give or take, lol! Races have a great atmosphere, especially for your first one...and for me, I still have that same nervous energy at each starting line. The key on race day is to run your race, enjoy yourself and take it all in...and if it is for a good cause, remember that someone is being helped!
    BTW, I did C25K about a year ago, will be running my first 1/2 marathon in December if all goes well, so the program does work!
    good luck in Dec!!!
  • jacquelinepm
    Options
    What is C25K?
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    Couch to 5K

Depending on your fitness level you can start with 2 min walking/ 2 min slow jog. and progress. Do it for 10 mins, then 15, then 20

so every other day... then in between walk for 30 minutes etc