Spicy foods increase appetite?

Options
I was wondering about others experience with this. I love spicy foods, especially chipotle and tabasco. I put tabasco and lemon in my water. But I find that it seems to increase my appetite. I have read it also increases metabolism. Any thoughts or experience?

Replies

• tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I know certain spices can increase the metabolism such as red pepper and cumin but I haven't had it increase my appetite.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've read that this is not what people think. Yes, it does burn calories, but it is very momentary, certainly not an excuse to eat more.
  • JadazV
    Options
    Well, according to nutritionists and looking at high metabolism foods, they did say spicy foods (esp with pepper) was one of them.
  • mrdavidjk
    Options
    I know certain spices can increase the metabolism such as red pepper and cumin but I haven't had it increase my appetite.

if these spices increase your metabolism then you will be hungry as burning more means needing more fuel to replace it
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about others experience with this. I love spicy foods, especially chipotle and tabasco. I put tabasco and lemon in my water. But I find that it seems to increase my appetite. I have read it also increases metabolism. Any thoughts or experience?

Certain spices, such as cayenne pepper and cinammon, have been shown to slightly increase metabolism. However, I don't know if it is enough of an increase to make you hungrier.

I was experiencing some frequent hunger a while back, and it seems that sometimes mild heartburn/acid reflux can be interpreted by the nerves in the base of your esophagus as "hunger" signals... this sometimes happens with MILD heartburn, as it doesn't come up enough for us to notice the burning, but it does trigger those nerves. Maybe something to bring up to your doctor if it gets to be a real bother... even mild reflux can cause damage to your throat.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I think the hunger is from the taste...the heat is soooooooooooooooooo yummy. Where did I put my habby sauce?
    I'm all amped up since having a burrito and taco at lunch LOADED with HOT SAUCE.
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @bigdaddy you're killin me with the laughter today!
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I am sure it depends on the person. But exercise increases the metabolism and i am less hungry when i exercise.
  • Romans624
    Options
    I have to second the thing about stomach acid.... I think there's been times where I mindlessly ate something thinking I was hungry, but it was acid reflux/heartburn. The desire is the same - to put something down your throat to make the sensation go away. But if you think about it you can probalby tell if it is that or not. Try drinking a little milk or something "basic" to see if 1 oz makes it go away. If not... maybe it does increase your appetite.