What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Met up with the girls for dim sum in Chinatown.
    bxho1wgs8v0e.jpeg
    xzk3jl5a3rpd.jpeg
    dwkcyx7jc5vh.jpeg
    ihxgtte51ous.jpeg
    nocratp2p9v0.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot - actually made homemade kombucha!!! 🌸

🍸 Jasmine tea, chamomile, lavender.

🍽️ baked chicken

wordqrxm2dn4.jpeg
    41zrutjuci01.jpeg
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 467 Member
    edited March 17
    Options
    today's prep - chips

bwfylmm3hab9.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    Beef rendang pulled out of the freezer from a batch cooked sous vide a month ago. Some extra coconut milk for the hubby who can't handle spice to tone down the curry. Som tam made from julienned daikon, carrot and apple as green papaya is pretty hard to find near me. I was happy to try to cook some of the stuff we ate in Thailand at our holiday at Christmss. Brown rice.
    3xe35jtmfpu2.jpeg

• 100_Rabbits
    100_Rabbits Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awful photo so forgive me lol. I moved from Arkansas to New Jersey last week, and I've been taking advantage of all the fantastic Asian grocers up here. Garlic eggplant, seaweed salad, and very spicy tteokbokki and fried tofu.
    ponbq4pdkani.png
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 467 Member
    edited March 18
    Options
    @mjbnj0001 ~ wow, the loaves look fab! Soup sounds good.

I have not used nuts yet for gravies, flour or thickener recipies i've seen... but, good idea on flakes for thickener. I had been looking for something beyond hummus for my gbeans.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Adventurista
    I’ve seen ground nuts in other Spanish recipes used as a thickener. Ajo blanco soup and romesco sauce come to mind.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited March 18
    Options

I have not used nuts yet for gravies, flour or thickener recipies i've seen... but, good idea on flakes for thickener. I had been looking for something beyond hummus for my gbeans.

Thanks for the compliment.

Pasta e ceci is simple chickpea alternative, with many variants. Almost anything "... with beans" can sub garbanzos. Soups. The "Spain on a Fork" channel on youtube from which I got the stew recipe has other garbanzo recipes. Chick pea flour pasta and baked goods. I made a "pasta sauce" from it. Add some sweet/hot chile sauce to thinned hummus and you've got a versatile sauce for veggies or salad dressing that brings a big payload of protein with it. And so forth. They are pretty useful in the pantry.

I did a lot of chickpea and hummus from scratch, dried peas in the fall; I went through a spurt of "what can I do with chickpeas/hummus?" Going from dried is most economical and most versatile. I use an old-style jiggle-top pressure cooker, but an instapot would work just fine. Ordinary stovetop cooking too, of course, but it's a longer process. I even ground the dried peas to see what that result would be, getting a coarse flour. I doped bread dough with it just to see the result (not too much), and it worked OK (a finer flour would be almost undetectible in moderate amounts). You could use it as a batter base for baking or frying other goodies and meats - and falafel of course (making a moist batter might be better than the coarse ground experience - that was a little gritty). Canned garbanzos yields the liquid, which has a name, "aquafaba," which can be used for other things in the vegan world, including faux egg whites for baking. I watched videos the other evening on raising your own chickpeas; they can be eaten in the pod, green and fresh, too, although I have never seen them in that state in the market. I've tried green "pigeon peas" but I think they are a separate plant.

Good luck. Here's a couple of the things I did ...

Salad dressing (#1) - slightly thinned, sweet-hot sauce flavor.

vk4urigeungu.jpg

Salad dressing (#2) - plain hummus, slightly thinned.

kkdsbm6jip6a.jpg

Some party platters, with sweet-hot, savory and plain hummus. Home-baked boule loaf in background. Had a full charcuterie in addition.

a02s7fo0m65g.jpg

• mjbnj0001
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Forgot to mention, we went out the other night and I had an Indian dish, "Chole Pashwari" which is a spicy chickpea masala dish. Chickpeas are all around.
  • 100_Rabbits
    100_Rabbits Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    St Pats dinner, a day late. We had the waffle iron out so I used that to fry my leftover mashed potatoes.
    41hjw7pwe011.png
  • SG_Tabie
    SG_Tabie Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 18
    Options
    Quick week night dinner + use the food before it goes bad!

Steak & eggs, air fried potatoes, and a fruit salad of basically all the fruit left in the house lol.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    We had the waffle iron out so I used that to fry my leftover mashed potatoes.

I am going to buy a waffle iron and some potatoes.....
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    A bit of a hodgepodge for dinner

🍸 rosemary kombucha
    🍽️ red leaf salad, grilled Portuguese sardines, 🐟 pickled red cabbage and broccoli.

mfkrie0p47uo.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    St Patricks dinner a couple of nights late. Corned beef cooked sous vide two months ago and pulled out of the freezer and warmed up in the microwave. My second attempt at potato pave actually held togther. Roast carrots, turnips, and turkish peppers.
    n1dkqbg62tax.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    edited March 20
    Options
    After-work webinar this evening, so I threw together this dish in the short time available. I grew up calling these type of combos "goulash," which might surprise those looking for a paprika-rich stew, LOL. No matter, this contains ground beef, lots of veg (in this version), pasta, sauce. MFP computes a serving (this bowl) as about 461 cals, 23g protein, 22g fat, 46g carb (with 8g fiber). Veg is onion, garlic, celery, bell peppers and broccoli. This is the first time, I think, since Jan 1, that I've had red meat.

lc2140w8c0dj.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    St Patricks dinner a couple of nights late. Corned beef cooked sous vide two months ago and pulled out of the freezer and warmed up in the microwave. My second attempt at potato pave actually held togther. Roast carrots, turnips, and turkish peppers.

Potato pave. New to me. Will have to try sometime.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @mjbnj0001
    If googling for recipes potato pave is also known as potato terrine. There is a lot of variation. Some contain milk and cream between layers of potato, others only melted or room temperature butter, others even contain a sprinkle of cornstarch or potato starch between layers to help the potato to stick together. On my first attempt I used potato slices dipped in milk with a drizzle of microwave melted butter between layers and my pave apart when I tried to pan fry slices of the finished potato cake. This might have been due to resting for only 6 hours instead of overnight as recommended. The second successful attempt I mixed a quarter cup of milk with a heaped teaspoon of cornstarch, and between layers of potato, dotted with melted butter as well as a teaspoon of the starchy milk and my potato cake held together. I've eaten a version made without milk or cream in a restaurant and found the texture a bit dry.