First time with MyFitnessPal app

Options
Hi all,

Quick question about the app…

Started today… my goal is 1960 calories (based on app profile creation questions), I consumed 1757 calories today and burned 141 in exercise…

It tells me I have 344 remaining.

If I don’t consume those 344 calories, does that mean I’m in more of a deficit than I would be if I had 0 remaining?

Any help appreciated… first timer using the app…

Best Answer

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, that is correct. Eat all the food till you get to zero "remaining."

Answers

• shannonpace9482
    shannonpace9482 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks, mate... much appreciated.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful about eating all of your exercise calories. That may slow down your weight loss. The app added 141 calories to your day based on your exercise, but you don't have to eat them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Wii_Player wrote: »
    Just be mindful about eating all of your exercise calories. That may slow down your weight loss. The app added 141 calories to your day based on your exercise, but you don't have to eat them.

But - generically speaking - if a person does a good bit of exercise, but doesn't eat at least a fair fraction of those calories, they risk undereating (underfueling, sub-par nutrition). Fast loss increases health risks. It's also hard to stick with the process long enough to lose a meaningful total amount of weight.

MFP's trying to teach the useful lesson that when we move more, we can and should eat more. (Move less, eat less too, of course.) That's a maintenance skill, and many people think maintenance is more difficult than initial loss . . . the statistics bear that out.