RENPHO Smart Scale Vs InBody 570 Scan

Options
Hello everyone,
I was recently made aware that I have access to an InBody scan machine at work for free. I know the reports cost money usually, so I thought I would make a post comparing my smart scale against the InBody, since there are a lot of people here who use the RENPHO scale.
Conditions: I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning after I use the washroom and before I eat or drink anything. This morning I did exactly that, then hopped in my truck and drove to the gym and did the scan, so the conditions of scan are as identical as I can make them.
Results of RENPHO - InBody:
Weight: 221.2lbs - 221.5
BMI: 28.4 - 28.4
Body Fat: 23.9% - 22.3%
Visceral Fat: 11 - 10
BMR: 2014cal - 2056cal
Conclusion: The RENPHO seems to be fairly accurate in regards to fat and weight. The muscle results are calculated differently between the two, but at a glance with some quick mental estimates, they don't seem to line up quite as well. To me, it seems like the scale has trouble accurately determining muscle and bone weight, if we are assuming the InBody is more accurate.

I do plan to go back in 4-6 weeks for another scan, so if this is interesting to anyone else I can post those results then as well to see if there are any deviations through multiple tests.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Interesting experiment.

The BMI and BMR estimates are likely to be near identical since they are based on height, weight, age, etc.

How did you gain 0.3 pounds while driving to work? At least one of those machines must be off...
  • Tango_Bravado
    Tango_Bravado Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How did you gain 0.3 pounds while driving to work? At least one of those machines must be off...
    I considered (obviously) the BodyScan to be the more accurate machine. I really just wanted to see how close the RENPHO was to accurate. I honestly expected there to be more deviation, especially in the body fat area.

Your BMI/BMR point makes total sense, I didn't really think about HOW those are calculated lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in what you see over time.

Inbody and Renpho are both BIA devices, with Inbody slightly more sophisticated, so I'd expect them to track somewhat similarly, though not identically.

It might be interesting to run one of the "Navy Body Fat Calculator" online thingies, too, such as:

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

FWIW, my BIA scale (not Renpho, not smart - cheapish model Buerer brand) and that calculator are in a similar range for me, and plausible based on comparisons to those sites that have photos of men/women at various body fat percentages. I haven't sprung for anything expensive like DEXA - don't care that much TBH, more motivated by health and performance results.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    >0.14% body weight difference on non commercial non calibrated scales sounds trivial

Bio Electrical impedance is least reliable but ubiquitous. Exercise past couple of days? Hydration? Food? Are you chosing the correct input model (athlete vs normal mode).

Repeatability and change over time is one issue. Overall accuracy is another
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    Wrong direction: < and not >
    choosing not chosing
    🤷‍♂️
  • Tango_Bravado
    Tango_Bravado Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    >0.14% body weight difference on non commercial non calibrated scales sounds trivial

Bio Electrical impedance is least reliable but ubiquitous. Exercise past couple of days? Hydration? Food? Are you chosing the correct input model (athlete vs normal mode).

Repeatability and change over time is one issue. Overall accuracy is another

Dang dude lol I had to Google a couple of those words. I agree, I think the difference between them is negligible. Totally agree, and was told, exercise/food/water will affect the results. I tried to make it as controlled as possible, knowing there would inevitably be variables that differ. RENPRO is set to Normal Mode. I clicked Athlete Mode once and it looked scary so I switched back.
    Change over time is my biggest concern. If my RENPRO is not accurate but consistent, then it will show an accurate trend.
    Right? I dunno lol I'm just trying to make it the best I can in this crazy world!