Accuracy of MPF’s Calories for Steps

Options
sjn17
sjn17 Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone, I’ve returned to MFP after quite a long time away. I remember last time reading a forum post which recommended NOT syncing MFP with steps, on the basis that it overestimates how many additional calories you can eat after exercise. I have MFP set up for weight loss, and connected to my iPhone to track steps. I’ve been tracking religiously and haven’t gone over my allowance, but in one month I’ve only lost 2lbs (and that was in the first week - nothing since). I’m wondering if the advice about syncing might be on to something, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    Not entirely sure how it works for phone step trackers, but for fitness trackers MFP doesn't give you calories for steps, it's the device that counts your steps that sends the calorie estimates to MFP.

If you haven't lost weight as expected, I wouldn't be so sure it's due to the step adjustment, unless you're getting multiple hundreds of extra calories from that for relatively few steps. What kind of calorie adjustments are you getting and for how many steps? What are your personal stats?

It could just be that your metabolism isn't average (trackers and MFP use formulas based on population averages). And/or perhaps your tracking isn't fully accurate.
    If you've increased your activity level, water retention could also contribute to a stall on the scale.

With more info about you and what you're doing, we might be able to troubleshoot a bit better.

(PS I've always eaten all of my extra calories from activity and exercise and lost a bit faster than anticipated. Results depend on many factors: individual metabolism, specific device used, tracking accuracy etc)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    Your diary is set to private, so nobody can look to offer advice, so you'll get questions instead.

Do you log other exercise, or just steps?

When you look at your diary, how many calories does it say you burned through exercise?

How do you track other exercise if you do it/log it? Does the number of exercise calories seem to be in line with what you are tracking? What activity level did you set MFP to, and is that a good level for you?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    My watch tracks my steps. It also counts petting the dog as steps. It counts movement of my arms when driving as steps. I've had days I only walked 2-3 miles for exercise, yet supposedly did 10,000 steps. I don't sync my watch with MFP. I do log deliberate exercise (the 3 mile walk) and eat those calories back.